Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Those who are going to start the process / planning to start from the scratch please group here. Also, post your queries/status and we ll help each other.

Seniors, I hope we can get your valuable comments if we need your help.

Let me be the first one to start,

My work - Software Test Engineer, 3 Years of work experience, working with an MNC. Have been sent to Australia (Sydney) for 9 months on a 457 Visa.

My studies - B.E - Electronics and Communication.

IELTS - Planning for Feb 2014. Have already taken IELTS in my college days and got around 7 ( i hope that experience would help me now :rolleyes:)

So, here are my queries ...
Is my education (B.E - ECE) closely related to my work (ICT).? if so, my work experience is enough to get ACS +ve. Else i need to work on it.

Can i apply for ACS Skills assesment/ 189 visa with my job code as '261311'.? Cause I remember my company sponsoring my 457 visa in this code.

Please help me. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Guys,

Those who are going to start the process / planning to start from the scratch please group here. Also, post your queries/status and we ll help each other.

Seniors, I hope we can get your valuable comments if we need your help.

Let me be the first one to start,

My work - Software Test Engineer, 3 Years of work experience, working with an MNC. Have been sent to Australia (Sydney) for 9 months on a 457 Visa.

My studies - B.E - Electronics and Communication.

IELTS - Planning for Feb 2014. Have already taken IELTS in my college days and got around 7 ( i hope that experience would help me now :rolleyes:)

So, here are my queries ...
Is my education (B.E - ECE) closely related to my work (ICT).? if so, my work experience is enough to get ACS +ve. Else i need to work on it.

Can i apply for ACS Skills assesment/ 189 visa with my job code as '261311'.? Cause I remember my company sponsoring my 457 visa in this code.

Please help me. :)
answers to your queries ...

No, your education is not closely related to your work and you need to have min. of 4 years experience as ACS requires people from non-IT background(your case) to have min. 4 years experience.

Refer this link and find out if your roles and responsibilities suit what your doing now..
Analyst Programmer - 261311

Reactions: manojm.dwh

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi. I have just started the process last month by applying to VETASSESS for qualifications and job assessment. I'd be going for SS 190 and targeted job is 222311 'Financial Investment Adviser' though I could easily qualify for 222312, but preferred to lay low for now. I have about 10 years experience in the relevant area and highly likely to get a positive assessment by VETASSESS. I also hold Australian Master of Financial Management from ANU. Lived in ACT and completed Masters in 2009. Already taken IELTS. Got 8 band minimum. Expect my points to be between 70 and 80.

My dilemma is: which state should I apply to. Both ACT and NSW have 222311 on their SOL right now. Don't know how long will it remain there. From what I have gathered here, it will take 12+ weeks to get an assessment from VETASSESS. NSW does not accept online applications and the time taken is lengthy too (compared to ACT). Will I be able to lodge 190 application till June or should I expect to pay even higher fees next year (will be paying around $8000 just for initial visa fees if apply before July). I have lived in ACT and liked the life there, but I know job opportunities would be low as compared to NSW, especially in financial sector. That would be my only motivation for applying to NSW in the light of limited information I have.

Any advice and additional information from seniors here is very welcome. I'd be going through other threads in the meantime.

And manojm, good luck! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Bravokal,

Thank you for your valuable information and i accept that i need 4 years of work experience. But, I ve read posts in this forum that ACS deducts 2 years of work exp and calculates the remaining.?? Is that so, will ACS consider my exp as 2 years wen i complete 4 years.?

Also, will my work achievements have any positive impact in ACS assesment regarding my work exp? cause i have many awards both from my company and my customer (one of the leading banks in Australia).

@Unikorn, Thank you my friend and I hope for you its going to be a piece of cake :)
i wish you the very best.

Reactions: unikorn

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Bravokal,

Thank you for your valuable information and i accept that i need 4 years of work experience. But, I ve read posts in this forum that ACS deducts 2 years of work exp and calculates the remaining.?? Is that so, will ACS consider my exp as 2 years wen i complete 4 years.?

Also, will my work achievements have any positive impact in ACS assesment regarding my work exp? cause i have many awards both from my company and my customer (one of the leading banks in Australia).

@Unikorn, Thank you my friend and I hope for you its going to be a piece of cake :)
i wish you the very best.
Yes, ACS deducts '2 years' for people who have a Masters/Bachelor degree with a major in Computing(like MCA,B.tech-Computers)..for other Eng. graduates like you (BE/Btech in Electronics) who have degrees with a minor in computing they will deduct '4 years'..its even worse for normal degree holders/diploma persons :(

ACS is not their to provide you with a job buddy,so I m sad to say this but your work achievements/awards will have no impact on the no. of years reduced by ACS. They have a set of guidelines and they are bound to follow them..goodluck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Guys,

I am a middle-ware (IBM WebSphere Application Server) administrator with 6 years relevant experience.
Please suggest me which SOL I need to use for 189 visa.
Please suggest me which CSOL I need to use for 190 visa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I am also planning to apply in 2014 . Just knowing the process.

Have seen a couple of mail regarding job code System Analyst, it seems to be tough one .

Let's see how it goes .

My details:

Education Qualification: MCA
Work Exp : 4+
IELTS (yet to appear ) - Feb 2014 target
Job code : System Analyst

Point at the moment ( 50 , without IELTS and state sponsorship)

Point can be calculated from below doc :
http: //www immi gov au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/points-tested-migration-fact-sheet.pdf

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am also planning for 2014. ACS done, waiting to give my IELTS.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes, ACS deducts '2 years' for people who have a Masters/Bachelor degree with a major in Computing(like MCA,B.tech-Computers)..for other Eng. graduates like you (BE/Btech in Electronics) who have degrees with a minor in computing they will deduct '4 years'..its even worse for normal degree holders/diploma persons :(

ACS is not their to provide you with a job buddy,so I m sad to say this but your work achievements/awards will have no impact on the no. of years reduced by ACS. They have a set of guidelines and they are bound to follow them..goodluck!
Whether the OP has an ICT minor or major cannot be decided by just looking at his degree title. If his degree consists at least 30% ICT subjects he would be assessed as an ICT major disregard what his degree title is. My mate who holds a degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering was recently assessed as an ICT major by ACS.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm also planning to apply in early 2014. My details are as follows.

Job code: 263311
VISA : 189

I'm waiting for my assessment from EA. Everything else is done.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi
I am a Mechanical Engineer with 8 years of experience in automotive domain. I plant to give IELTS in Feb 2014. I plant to go to Victoria.

·
Registered
613 Posts
What can i expect with this profile guys?
B.E - Telecommunication Engg from VTU (Karnataka)
10 Years IT Ex mostly into Datawarehousing/Big Data Tech.

How many years do they cut off? If they knock off 4 years, then i can still claim 10points. However, the 3 organizations that i worked for will never provide me with Reference letters, so i might have to take the stat dec route. Will this affect the ACS evaluation?

Any thoughts, please help!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
What can i expect with this profile guys?
B.E - Telecommunication Engg from VTU (Karnataka)
10 Years IT Ex mostly into Datawarehousing/Big Data Tech.

How many years do they cut off? If they knock off 4 years, then i can still claim 10points. However, the 3 organizations that i worked for will never provide me with Reference letters, so i might have to take the stat dec route. Will this affect the ACS evaluation?

Any thoughts, please help!!
Hi Bond_bhai,

This shouldn't be a problem. Stat dec is valid and IT DOESN'T AFFECT the evaluation process. But as per the work exp.. I still see it a mystery on how they evaluate (may be seniors can help).

All the best.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Whether the OP has an ICT minor or major cannot be decided by just looking at his degree title. If his degree consists at least 30% ICT subjects he would be assessed as an ICT major disregard what his degree title is. My mate who holds a degree in Electrical and Electronics Engineering was recently assessed as an ICT major by ACS.
Phew... :) thanks AncientGloryfor ur info. feeling somewat relieved. :)

Also i found out the following post in another thread,,

All,

To update on ACS skill assessment time- I have got ACS assessment done for code 261314 (Software Tester) in just 25 days and result is positive. I have done it myself with the help of this forum. So thanks to all experts and helpful guys here.

To add on to this - Bachelor of Electronics/Electronics & Telecom Enngg from India is ICT equivalant degree.

please let me know if anyone need any help/information on ACS skill Assessment.

Next is IELTS!!!!

Thanks,
Amol

(since i am a new member i am not able to post the exact link for the above text)

Reactions: AncientGlory

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update from my side..

IELTS exam is on Feb 1st. Lets see... how it goes. :pray2:

@ AncientGlory, All the best, :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 8 month of teaching exp So will it be beneficial in some way ..

My total year of exp in IT (4 years +).

Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have 8 month of teaching exp So will it be beneficial in some way ..

My total year of exp in IT (4 years +).

Thanks
One of my colleagues who used to be a lecturer back in her country finished her post-graduate studies recently, and did manage to get an assessment from ACS.

I'm not sure how she built her case, but I know that she didn't have any experience other than teaching experience. So yeah, it could help in some cases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One of my colleagues who used to be a lecturer back in her country finished her post-graduate studies recently, and did manage to get an assessment from ACS.

I'm not sure how she built her case, but I know that she didn't have any experience other than teaching experience. So yeah, it could help in some cases.
Thanks .. Will add and see if it help :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts