Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to move to the UK, from Canada, by applying for the ancestry visa. I am currently assembling the necessary documentation for my visa application.

My wife, of almost 10 years, will also be joining me to live there.
I am currently employed and my employer wants me to be stationed in London.

Below is a rough/simplified overview of my planned steps:

1. Apply for my UK ancestry visa.

2. My wife applies for her visa (she is not a Canadian citizen so I do not yet what we apply for, I assume she can apply being as she is my wife?).

3. After receiving our visas we both go to the UK to:

- open a bank account (most important step I assume to get started but can it be done without an address?)
- get a mobile phone (I assume this would be a vital thing to have even at this stage).
- flat hunting and finalize on one (no clue yet on where to live).

4. Return to Canada and arrange for shipment of belongings to the UK.

5. Sell our house in Canada (I wonder if I can/should keep it and rent it out or from a taxation perspective it would become too complicated).

6. Finally fly to live in the UK.

Could anyone offer any feedback on the above and possibly some helpful advice. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mochi,

I'm also Canadian and have gone through the UK Ancestry visa process. However, I did mine and my wife/kid before the rule changes in April 2015 (so we didn't have to pay the health surcharge or get a biometric card). We have yet to move to the UK (happening in Jan 2016). not sure where in Canada you live, but I would try and keep your house in Canada (unless you're sure you don't plan to return). 1) the exchange rate is brutal and 2) house prices are increasing so fast (at least here in Vancouver) that you may have a difficult time trying to rebuy back into the market if you return). In regard to steps, I wouldn't return to Canada to move belonging if you can avoid it. Sell/donate what you can and ship by container ship the rest (6-9 week voyage) and put in storage in the UK once you know where you will be living. In terms of of accommodation, we are renting via AirBnB for the first month. In regard to banking, we opened an international bank account with HSBC while still here (We heard from others here that opening a bank account in the UK when you get there is difficult). Cell phone. You should be able to take your phone and swap the sim card. When we did the UK visa application, I did mine first and only after I got it approved did we do hers (no point paying for her if mine got rejected). However, the rules have changed recently and you may not be able to stagger the applications out any more.

Good luck in your quest

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi DBWGuy,

Thank you for your reply.

1. We live in Ottawa but would like to keep our house and rent it out while we're away (not sure how long it will be but likely long term) so can have something to return to in the future if need be. My concern is the taxation side of things. I do not know how that will work. Will I need to pay income tax in Canada and the UK (double hit) because I have the house and am renting it out?

2. With regard to my steps, my company will be paying for us to fly to the UK and search for a flat. They will also be paying for my visa application process (health surcharge, etc).

3. Do you know of any recommended mover and how pricey it is to ship from Canada to the UK (container)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi mochi

You can try Tippet-Richardson or the MI Group for moving stuff internationally. They both go via ocean container. I'm not planning to move a whole containers worth of stuff. I was quoted approx. $1700 for 10 2 cubic ft boxes (put on a pallet and shrink-wrapped). As you can imagine, 10 2 cube boxes is not a lot. I've heard a whole container can cost $9,000 - $14,000. it takes approx. 6-9 weeks to ship via ship.

In regard to taxation, you essentially need to cut all ties to Canada in order to avoid not having to report income from the UK. That would mean selling your house, closing bank accounts (maybe RRSP's??)..basically anything which ties you to Canada. In my own circumstance, we are not prepared to do that because we want to keep our house and my adult daughter will be living there. My accountant told me (I have my own small consulting business) that there is a tax treaty in place between the UK and Canada so you won't get double taxed. However, you will have to file both a UK and Canadian tax return . It can be a bit complicated because there is a difference in the UK and Canadian tax year. Basically you pay your UK taxes and then you get a foreign tax credit for that in Canada.

It's nice that your employer will pay the visa costs. I had to pay the whole shot but at least I got my visa before the Health surcharge came into existence.

cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.