Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I'm fond of attending gigs with live music. Preferably good classic rock or pop music. I've been missing that here.

I've been to two places with live music so far. One of them is Maxx Music bar and grill, at Citymax hotel, Al-Barsha, near the Mall of the Emirates. It is a good place with a pretty decent band. They play in sets. Around 3-4 sets every night.. with around 4-5 songs in every set. Between sets, they play club hits.

The other place I've been to is Irish Village, where a singer performs mixed songs on his acoustic guitar. He is just alright.

Do you guys know of any other places with good live bands?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Music Room, Majetic Hotel (Bur Dubai) has a decent band
Not any more they don't, they tried to go upmarket and messed around their excellent house band, The Rock Spiders. Haven't been back since. The Rock Spiders are now going to be playing at Cheers Bar at Chi in Oud Metha I believe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What band is playing at the Music Room now? It's like a bar or has cover charges and door policies like a club?

@Gavtek: Where exaclty is Cheers bar in Oud Metha?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
A band called Urban, they play mostly R&B music. Last time I went they were charging 50 Dhs to get in.

Cheers Bar is at Chi - The Lodge. Never been so can't advise further.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So they've killed Maxx Music Bar and Grill :(

Their house band "The Usual Suspects" isn't playing anymore. That was a wonderful band. Well well co-ordinated and stuff as well. They've replaced them with a new band with some Aussie guy on keyboard who plays backing tracks on his laptop for bass.. and a guitarist who seems to mix verses and play whatever he wants. Their music choice too is meh.

They have however added a pool table :D. AED 5 per game. Winners to stay.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Seaview is 50dhs in, check out the bass player!
wow... how things change... last time i went there, 50 dhs was more than the girls there were asking for a "me love you long time" session (at least, this was the sum they were talking about in the loo)... i believe it was more than the cost of a drink too... :D

great music though if you can ignore the "west meet east/south" around it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Rock Bottom in Bur Dubai has a good Canadian band who plays a lot of American rock/pop. I *THINK* the old band moved to the Rock Bottom in Tecom but I have never been there so not sure.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've wanted to check Rock Bottom for a while. They seem to have a good word about them everywhere.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You like Victor Wooten? Isn't he awesome? Have you listened to Jaco Pastorius too?

I'm hoping my son will one day become the next Victor Wooten :D
I LOVE Victor Wooten! He is brilliant.

Yes I've heard Jaco Pastorius too.. He is AMAZING on the bass. Specially on a few songs including the chicken and birdland (unreasonably centred around birds? lol). The way he gels in with the rest of the instrument players is just beautiful to watch.

You don't really see bands centred around bass guitarists (McCartney was known more for his song writing) unlike lead guitarists/vocalists.. and on the other side we have an alarming number of l"Bass" lovers in trashy hip hop songs. When did we become like this :eek:

If your son indeed manages to become him, I'd definitely buy a ticket to see him at his gig :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.