Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of driving to Central Portugal and would welcome suggestions of places to interest to stay/visit,have been to Toledo & Avila.
Usually stay overnight and early breakfast before long drive

·
Registered
393 Posts
In addition to the sites already mentioned, I can recommend an overnight stay at la Hospedería Real Monasterio in Guadalupe, Extremadura, and a tour of the adjacent Royal Monastery.

The list of UNESCO World Heritage sites has often helped me plan my trips:
Spain - UNESCO World Heritage Centre .

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Also Trujillo, near Cácares.

A lovely route is the M501/CL501 from San Martín de Valdeiglesias all the way through the Sierra de Gredos, passing Arenas de San Pedro, on to Jarandilla de la Vera (with a Parador) and Cuacos de Yuste where you'll find the Monasterio de Yuste where Carlos V came to die (bringing with him the recipe for a beer from the low countries that is still sold all over Spain).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chopera said:
Also Trujillo, near Cácares. A lovely route is the M501/CL501 from San Martín de Valdeiglesias all the way through the Sierra de Gredos, passing Arenas de San Pedro, on to Jarandilla de la Vera (with a Parador) and Cuacos de Yuste where you'll find the Monasterio de Yuste where Carlos V came to die (bringing with him the recipe for a beer from the low countries that is still sold all over Spain).
Yes,I do remember we did stayed at the Parador in Jarandilla de la Vera with our girls 30years ago ! Hopefully it would be cheaper now for Amigos de Parador,thanks for jotting my memory.
It would be wonderful to revisit also to see the Monasterio de Yuste

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Yes,I do remember we did stayed at the Parador in Jarandilla de la Vera with our girls 30years ago ! Hopefully it would be cheaper now for Amigos de Parador,thanks for jotting my memory.
It would be wonderful to revisit also to see the Monasterio de Yuste
I can't comment on the prices but they've extended and renovated the Parador quite a bit in recent years. If you're feeling fit they've also opened up "la ruta del emperador" which is an old path between Jarandilla and Yuste.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After Toledo,we decided to visit Cuidad Rodrigo as it is nearest to our daughter's pueblo.
It was wonderful to stay at the Parador and we had dinner at the local restaurant which we enjoyed with farinato ( fried eggs,Spanish sausages and slices of potatoes which is cut up and 'mixed' at the table ! Healthy salad for two and chuleton with chips and flan and helado.
Breakfast is always good at the Parador.
Disappointed with 'work/repairs along the medieval stone wall meant OH joining me on walk in town.Loads of churches to visit,also bought local embutidos for family.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brangus said:
In addition to the sites already mentioned, I can recommend an overnight stay at la Hospedería Real Monasterio in Guadalupe, Extremadura, and a tour of the adjacent Royal Monastery. The list of UNESCO World Heritage sites has often helped me plan my trips: Spain - UNESCO World Heritage Centre .
We are looking forward to our stay at Hospederia Real Monasterio,thanks for your suggestion

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
After Toledo,we decided to visit Cuidad Rodrigo as it is nearest to our daughter's pueblo.
It was wonderful to stay at the Parador and we had dinner at the local restaurant which we enjoyed with farinato ( fried eggs,Spanish sausages and slices of potatoes which is cut up and 'mixed' at the table ! Healthy salad for two and chuleton with chips and flan and helado.
Breakfast is always good at the Parador.
Disappointed with 'work/repairs along the medieval stone wall meant OH joining me on walk in town.Loads of churches to visit,also bought local embutidos for family.
La Alberca is also worth a visit if you're in that neck of the woods.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts