Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Some of you might remember me from 2013/2014 when I moved to Alicante city with my son who was 1 at the time. Well now we're home in Ireland nearly a year and I'm about to graduate with a bachelors degree in sociology and Spanish and we are missing Spain! Our plan is to relocate August/September 2016 but this time there will be four of us. My partner, my son Callum, our unborn baby and myself. This time we would like to live somewhere with a mix of Spanish and English people as my partner found things quite lonely whenever he was over the last time. By next year, I will also have a masters in Criminology and hopefully CELTA/TEFL and my partner is going to do a TEFL course also just incase. But he will most likely be travelling home to Ireland to work regularly as his family have a business, unless of course he finds work but we are in no way expecting that. We are aware of the situation in Spain. Depending on where we decide to live, I will probably apply as a teaching assistant through meddeas or the government. I have many friends starting their jobs this September. I'm aware that a masters in criminology probably won't be of much use in Spain but I'm doing it while I'm in the swing of things and to use in the future.

Anyway, I would appreciate if people could give their thoughts on ideal places to live with a mix of communities and of course good public schools for my son as he will be 4 and a half when we relocate.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
........... Or what about where I used to live Torre Muelle, near Benalmadena?....... and congratulations BTW

Jo xxx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Belamadena was somewhere I looked into very very briefly.. I'll look into that town. Was there a nice mix of communities? I think we would prefer to look into somewhere other than Alicante for the time being.. Unless somebody has suggestions of any places with both communities.. I found the city quite lonely too I have to admit.

Thanks so much! Expecting a girl in early September.. Exciting as it is, I miss Spain so much so I really need to start aiming for it

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
I remember you!
You certainly like adventure, don't you?
Well, I'm glad you liked Spain so much you're willing to give it another go.
Can't really help you about places other than to suggest near Madrid, which I suppose you won't like as it's far from the sea.
Anyway, lots and lots of good luck!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Belamadena was somewhere I looked into very very briefly.. I'll look into that town. Was there a nice mix of communities? I think we would prefer to look into somewhere other than Alicante for the time being.. Unless somebody has suggestions of any places with both communities.. I found the city quite lonely too I have to admit.

Thanks so much! Expecting a girl in early September.. Exciting as it is, I miss Spain so much so I really need to start aiming for it
I miss Spain too - I just cant see how to get back there for now.

Benalmadena is a bit of a sprawl, touristy and big. But it does have some great areas, zoos, fairground, icerink......

However, Torremuelle is a little private urb a couple of miles down the road, by the sea. Its got two or three shops, a couple of bars, a swimming pool a good mix of nationalities and an international school, altho theres a local state school up the hill in Benalmadena pueblo, which is beautiful. We loved it there cos it was near to everything. Theres even a direct link train (and station) to Malaga and the other way to Fuengirola - google map it. Using google is probably a start

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I remember you.

Just a shot in the dark, how about the multicultural city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria? we have just returned, that place buzzes day or night.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember you!
You certainly like adventure, don't you?
Well, I'm glad you liked Spain so much you're willing to give it another go.
Can't really help you about places other than to suggest near Madrid, which I suppose you won't like as it's far from the sea.
Anyway, lots and lots of good luck!
I sure do!
I think I would feel a bit claustrophobic with two young children and no beach, but thank you for the advice! It's definitely an ideal place to teach English

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I miss Spain too - I just cant see how to get back there for now.

Benalmadena is a bit of a sprawl, touristy and big. But it does have some great areas, zoos, fairground, icerink......

However, Torremuelle is a little private urb a couple of miles down the road, by the sea. Its got two or three shops, a couple of bars, a swimming pool a good mix of nationalities and an international school, altho theres a local state school up the hill in Benalmadena pueblo, which is beautiful. We loved it there cos it was near to everything. Theres even a direct link train (and station) to Malaga and the other way to Fuengirola - google map it. Using google is probably a start

Jo xxx
That urb sounds ideal Jo, thank you. Definitely going to look into it. I'm wondering now are the state schools any good in Spain? I don't think private would be an option for us and I would prefer my son in a Spanish school rather than international.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
That urb sounds ideal Jo, thank you. Definitely going to look into it. I'm wondering now are the state schools any good in Spain? I don't think private would be an option for us and I would prefer my son in a Spanish school rather than international.
But could you get work in the school was my thinking???? Its also not an English school abroad as most seem to think of international schools, but its...... international, but a lot of Spanish send their children there too

Jo xxx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember you.

Just a shot in the dark, how about the multicultural city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria? we have just returned, that place buzzes day or night.
I never even considered gran canaria but it's definitely worth some research. Is it child friendly? Like plenty of parks etc.. Good state schools..

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts

welcome back & congrats !!

you could do a lot worse than where I live - two International schools in the town & just outside where you might get teaching work - & a 'Steve Jobs' school as well - three of my students are primary school teachers there

the state schools are all good as well, so there'd be no problem for your son

about 30,000 residents, so not a massive town but not tiny either - & something like 90 nationalities living happily together - more than half are Spanish & around 20% are British

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But could you get work in the school was my thinking???? Its also not an English school abroad as most seem to think of international schools, but its...... international, but a lot of Spanish send their children there too

Jo xxx
It's definitely worth a try.. If I apply through meddeas I could be placed anywhere so it's a last resort for me. I would ideally like to get CELTA done and apply directly to schools.

Oh ok, and is it fee paying?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
It's definitely worth a try.. If I apply through meddeas I could be placed anywhere so it's a last resort for me. I would ideally like to get CELTA done and apply directly to schools.

Oh ok, and is it fee paying?
I'm afraid so

Jo xxx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

welcome back & congrats !!

you could do a lot worse than where I live - two International schools in the town & just outside where you might get teaching work - & a 'Steve Jobs' school as well - three of my students are primary school teachers there

the state schools are all good as well, so there'd be no problem for your son

about 30,000 residents, so not a massive town but not tiny either - & something like 90 nationalities living happily together - more than half are Spanish & around 20% are British
Aw thank you!!

Are you in Belamadena also? Or correct me if I'm wrong, Alicante?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
All that said, lets not forget that jobs arent easy to find and you're possibly going to need some time off to have your little girl..... So slow down a bit lol............. deaf ears methinks lol

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
I never even considered gran canaria but it's definitely worth some research. Is it child friendly? Like plenty of parks etc.. Good state schools..
Parks in plenty, huge Las Canteras beach, bars with children's room, I don't know about the schools, my children are pushing 50, the climate is year round summer, and the most pleasing thing is the low purchase tax, only 7%.

Downside are the flights to Europe, 4 hours +.

Flights from here 50 minutes :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts