Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got really used to the weather of Southern California when I lived there. Now, my US visa expired and I think it's almost impossible for me to go back. So I want to explore other options in the world. Do you know any place comparable to Southern California in terms of weather?

My criterions, in order of importance:

#1 - Dry, dry, dry! I hate rain so much. This is the reason why I fell in love with Southern California: no rain at all 70% of the year and a few days of barely noticeable rain in the Winter.

#2 - Clear sky and sunshine. I believe this affects one's life a big deal (mood, energy, vitamins, health...).

#3 - High year-minimum day temperature. Ideally, I would like a day temperature above 18°C during winter.

#4 - Low year-maximum day temperature. If all above conditions are met, then my last wish is to avoid very hot summers, ideally below 30°C. But if conditions #1, #2 and #3 are sort of met, it is already dreamy and way beyond my hopes, so I guess I can take whatever is the temperature in the summer :D

Any input is more than welcome!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Algarve comes close. We do get periods of rain in the winter though. This holiday season has seen daytime temps at 18 degrees, nighttime at about 9. We plant for zone 23 if that means anything to you.

Summer can get hot(tish) with highs around 32 and an occasional heatwave, but the nights are almost always cool.

I have never seen it below 2 on the coast, and inland it can get to freezing.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
I got really used to the weather of Southern California when I lived there. Now, my US visa expired and I think it's almost impossible for me to go back. So I want to explore other options in the world. Do you know any place comparable to Southern California in terms of weather?

Coastal and Southern parts of California are classed as having a Mediterranean climate, with somewhat rainy winters and dry summers.

So what I'd say is, look where else has a similar, Mediterranean climate: Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not surprisingly, most is in the Mediterranean area! But there's some in central Chile including Santiago, also Capetown in South Africa, Adelaide in South Australia, and the south-west of Western Australia including Perth. Map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Medclim.png

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Australia seems to have "graduated" to a much hotter and dryer climate. The weather forecasters needed to add some new temperature colors to their maps given the incredible heat they're getting this summer.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Australia seems to have "graduated" to a much hotter and dryer climate. The weather forecasters needed to add some new temperature colors to their maps given the incredible heat they're getting this summer.
Not really that much hotter on the coast, or drier, lots of recent reports have been based on a summer hot spell, and record high inland temperatures.

It has been a bit warm. All the reports have been about the east coast, we had it over here in the week up to New Year. Every day from Christmas day to NY Eve here in Perth was between 38 and 42, average 39. But it happens sometimes. The highest I can remember in Perth was back in 1991, I was driving in a non-aircon car in over 46C.

It's not that much hotter than normal in the coastal cities, just a summer heatwave, albeit lasting a few days longer due to slow moving weather. The real record heat has been in the interior, not much of an issue for most people as very few people live there.

You can't judge one city by another in Australia, Melbourne and Sydney are temperate zone, Perth is Mediterranean, Brisbane is humid sub-tropical. Perth to Sydney is 4110km after all, even Melbourne to Brisbane is 1670km.

Even here in Western Australia, driving from Albany in the south to Kununurra in the north (all in the same State) is 3555km. So you'd expect the climate to vary a little!

Hobart (recent bushfires) had 41C on one day recently, but has had 40.8 in the past, very rare, they're back to the mid 20's now, they have a much cooler, mild temperate oceanic climate.

Sydney got pretty well exactly the annual average for rainfall, Perth was a 12 year low, but clearly that happens sometimes, and although it seems to be drying more here in the west, it's not like every year the rain is less. We were about 1 degree C hotter over the year last year, and that was indeed a record. It's really not all that dramatic, but it sounds impressive on tv!

I've seen the reports on BBC World and although the fires were obviously not good, they're not that unusual here, or in other mediterranean climates eg California, Greece, Spain, France, etc.

With reference to grayfox, I'd think Perth is about the right climate, but it's very isolated. Closer to Singapore than Sydney, etc. And a little too warm for me, although I don't mind a few hot days. So we're looking at the Languedoc in France - they still can have occasional days of 40C, although milder and with 4 definite seasons, which we don't really get here. Much cooler than 18C in winter there though! It may be a good place for families here, but there simply isn't the culture or sights of Europe, or the culture of SoCal for that matter!

If I had to pick a place in Australia for a good broad base of culture and things to do, it would be Melbourne: a bit milder, but quite changeable weather though.

It has about the same rainfall as Perth, less than Sydney. About 15C average max in Melbourne in winter, Sydney is maybe 17, but can get really humid in summer, Perth about 19C and quite nice, just quiet/isolated, and hot in summer. With nearly 9 hours of sun as a daily average Perth is the sunniest Australian capital.

An alternative with warm winters might be somewhere like the south of Spain, eg Malaga.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Coastal and Southern parts of California are classed as having a Mediterranean climate, with somewhat rainy winters and dry summers.

So what I'd say is, look where else has a similar, Mediterranean climate: Mediterranean climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not surprisingly, most is in the Mediterranean area! But there's some in central Chile including Santiago, also Capetown in South Africa, Adelaide in South Australia, and the south-west of Western Australia including Perth. Map: File:Medclim.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I moved from SoCal 18 months ago and I do miss the weather - rainfall where I lived (15 miles inland from Oceanside) was an average of 9" per year, one year only we got over 20". SoCal also has many microclimates (23 in all) and temperatures can vary by 40F in 20 miles from beach to mountains.

I also have been to all of the places listed above and you would need to be further south in Chile to get a CA climate. Adelaide is colder, need to be just north of Sydney (say Newcastle) for the closest.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
I moved from SoCal 18 months ago and I do miss the weather - rainfall where I lived (15 miles inland from Oceanside) was an average of 9" per year, one year only we got over 20"... need to be just north of Sydney (say Newcastle) for the closest.
You point about the different microclimates close together is exactly right! Some parts like Oceanside and south are probably more semi-arid than mediterranean.

Newcastle is a shade warmer than Sydney but both have lots more humidity and 50% more rain than Perth (about 30") at about 47" and 44" a year, lots more than you were getting! I'm not a big fan of humidity, and it can get uncomfortable from Sydney northwards. Southern Spain is closer for temps and rain too, at about 20" pa. Cyprus might be pretty close too.

I guess it depends on the balance you choose between the weather you want and the location, and what that can offer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Sonho, BBCWatcher, kaju and rynd2it for your replies.

Not surprisingly, most is in the Mediterranean area! But there's some in central Chile including Santiago, also Capetown in South Africa, Adelaide in South Australia, and the south-west of Western Australia including Perth.
Actually, I looked at Australian cities the other day and I was also thinking of Adelaide ! More importantly, I read that apparently "Adelaide has over 40% of Australia's high-tech electronics industry" (from the Wikipedia page of the city) which is actually my field.

About the Mediterranean area, even though Southern France is colored on the map, it is not playing in the same league as SoCal.

The Algarve comes close.
I did not say this in my original post because this topic to be for anyone looking for a L.A.-like climate, but personally, I am only fluent in English and French. Ideally, I am looking for an English-speaking area, even though I am willing to learn Spanish.

How about the Canary Islands?
Amazing! But it seems unrealistic as it looks like a touristic place only.

I also have been to all of the places listed above and you would need to be further south in Chile to get a CA climate. Adelaide is colder, need to be just north of Sydney (say Newcastle) for the closest.
The rain figures of Newcastle look pretty high, though (the double of Adelaide or the triple of L.A.). Since you've lived both in SoCal and the South West of Australia, how did you feel about the sky in Australia ? Back in SoCal, it felt like 95% of days would have a stunning blue sky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My grandfather was from Sicily. When he came to visit us in Southern California he used to say that it reminded him of Sicily (the weather and the orange groves). I went there for the first time this summer and he was right!

·
Registered
1 Posts

My criterions, in order of importance:

#1 - Dry, dry, dry! I hate rain so much. This is the reason why I fell in love with Southern California: no rain at all 70% of the year and a few days of barely noticeable rain in the Winter.

#2 - Clear sky and sunshine. I believe this affects one's life a big deal (mood, energy, vitamins, health...).

#3 - High year-minimum day temperature. Ideally, I would like a day temperature above 18°C during winter.

#4 - Low year-maximum day temperature. If all above conditions are met, then my last wish is to avoid very hot summers, ideally below 30°C. But if conditions #1, #2 and #3 are sort of met, it is already dreamy and way beyond my hopes, so I guess I can take whatever is the temperature in the summer :D

Try service "Find cities with a similar climate": vividmaps.com/p/cities-with-similar-climates.html

For example:

City: Los Angeles
Global environmental zone: L6. Warm temperate and xeric
Biome: Mediterranean Forests, Woodlands & Scrub
Ecoregion: California coastal sage and chaparral
Cities with similar climates: Athens (Greece), Tunis (Tunisia), San Bernardino (USA), Seville (Spain), Fez (Morocco), San Luis Potosi (Mexico), Agadir (Morocco), Chihuahua (Mexico), Catania (Italy), Irbid (Jordan), Piraiavs (Greece), Hamah (Syria), Chlef (Algeria), Bakersfield (USA), Murcia (Spain), Sousse (Tunisia), Cordoba (Spain), Alicante (Spain), Antofagasta (Chile), Riverside (USA), Tacna (Peru), Iquique (Chile), Nablus (Palestine), Cartagena (Spain), Taza (Morocco), Mostaganem (Algeria), Arica (Chile), Almeria (Spain), Kimberley (South Africa), Lemosos (Cyprus), Gharyan (Libya), Pasadena (USA), Huelva (Spain), Melilla (Spain), Bizerte (Tunisia), Siracusa (Italy), Nabeul (Tunisia), Mmabatho (South Africa), L'Ariana (Tunisia), Al Aqabah (Jordan), San Angelo (USA), Marsala (Italy), Chalkida (Greece), Monastir (Tunisia), Lobatse (Botswana), Nalut (Libya), Graaff Reinet (South Africa), Beja (Tunisia), Jendouba (Tunisia), Vryburg (South Africa), Kanye (Botswana), Mahdia (Tunisia), Beaufort West (South Africa), Sdid Bouzid (Tunisia), Ciudad Camargo (Mexico), Kalgoorlie (Australia), Brownwood (USA), Chilecito (Argentina), Bloemhof (South Africa), Zaghouan (Tunisia), Juan Aldama (Mexico), Port Augusta (Australia), Swellendam (South Africa), Vicente Guerrero (Mexico), Port Pirie (Australia), Belen (Argentina), Taltal (Chile)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts