Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Last year I booked a few days at a farm owned by an English couple. They're doing what you're talking about, they're entirely off grid and sell produce. It's a very nice setting too, close to the Ebro river and not far from the coast. Bought it from eBay apparently!

They're on Airbnb. Why not go and stay and ask all the questions you have.

PM me if you want details.

We want to live simply, off-grid, and to minimise our reliance on the kind of money you need to live a mainstream life in the UK, for example. It may even be an idea to start a new thread on the subject once I've had a look at what's been written already. Not sure how feasible that's going to be, but I need to make a trip or two out there again, establish some friendly contacts in the area, and take it from there.

Any further suggestions or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Last year I booked a few days at a farm owned by an English couple. They're doing what you're talking about, they're entirely off grid and sell produce. It's a very nice setting too, close to the Ebro river and not far from the coast. Bought it from eBay apparently!

They're on Airbnb. Why not go and stay and ask all the questions you have.

PM me if you want details.
Thanks Horlics, I will do. Cheers.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
But you need your NIE number to buy the house? And without a house you cannot get permanent residence? Maybe I've got it wrong.... again!
You don't need to own a property in Spain to be a resident - there are millions who don't.

You certainly need an NIE to buy a house but my point was that you can get this at the same time as getting your certificate of registration (residencia).

It's quite common to rent before buying (the recommended route). If ones intention is to live in Spain, then the advice is to get the 'residencia' rather than just an NIE.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Phew its taken me half an hour to read through these comments as we've just got back from spending a few days at our house in Spain.

My original post earlier last year asked for advice in general regarding help etc. We were lucky in that we had an excellent estate agen (CasasinEspana) who held our hand and steered us through the whole process.

My partner and I are both successful business people. I work in London, he works for an international shipping company. We are both savvy and know what's what. That said, our move to Spain involves us taking a massive step outside the box into the unknown. We're past the scary stage and now at the cant wait to move and get on with it stage.

Luckily, we can both do some work remotely. We also have lots of ideas. None of which I want to discuss on an open forum. If that's unreasonable, frankly I dont really care!

I've tried to give Frank some useful advice and have put him in touch with our builders in the hope that they can help him. Having spoken to them last week, I'm hopeful this will be the case.

We're always happy to help those who want to be helped. We're no good with negative people and have no wish or desire to live as ex pats. We shall integrate and learn the language.

We still have questions about the move. Having just returned from our trip to Spain - and having taken the dog with us this time - when we move permanently - do we need to bother with a passport for the cat? The borders this end had no interest in the dog and we only had to show her passport on the way back yesterday. Thoughts? The cat's an ancient old thing who's never had a vaccination in his life! As for a microchip?!!!

If anyone can offer advice on the above, I'd be interested to know. Otherwise, I will use my very good friend google and have a look myself!

Big shout out to all those in the Pinoso / Elche / La Romana area :)

Karen. x
Ignoring the comment about negativity, you may find what you need to know about pets in post 9 in the FAQ's sticky on the main Spain page.
Also here (Search for pets, pet passport, dogs, cats etc)
http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...t-changes-pet-passport-scheme-29-12-14-a.html

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi folks, Karen gave me contact details of a friendly builder out this direction if anyone is interested. He's happy for me to post this recommendation. I haven't had any work done by him yet, but he's been very helpful at the planning stages so far and we hope that he'll be doing our work before we move out there (should say, 'if' we move out there....):

Hope all's going to plan Karen....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, Karen gave me contact details of a friendly builder out this direction if anyone is interested. He's happy for me to post this recommendation. I haven't had any work done by him yet, but he's been very helpful at the planning stages so far and we hope that he'll be doing our work before we move out there (should say, 'if' we move out there....):

Hope all's going to plan Karen....
Hi Frank,
Please could you give me the builders details...As myself and my husband also have a plot of land in Pinoso that we want to build on. Thank you.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Hi Frank,
Please could you give me the builders details...As myself and my husband also have a plot of land in Pinoso that we want to build on. Thank you.
Hello,
Frank can give you the details of the builder, but only by PM. Your PM facility will only be operational when you have made some more posts that contribute to the forum in some way, so ask some more questions by starting a new thread or give some info about the Spain that you know, and you'll be set:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello.... I've been meaning to update my thread with what we've been up to the last two years. So, we did move out to Spain and set up a successful glamping site. Not only that but I managed to get a full time job in a British doctor's surgery (yes in Spain) and my husband has set up a transport company. We're both actually working more hours than we did in the UK. So - ironically our failure has been to get our life / work balance right and this year has been particularly trying!

Has it been easy? Hell no! But here's hoping to an easier year next year as we start adjusting what we're doing!

x

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hello.... I've been meaning to update my thread with what we've been up to the last two years. So, we did move out to Spain and set up a successful glamping site. Not only that but I managed to get a full time job in a British doctor's surgery (yes in Spain) and my husband has set up a transport company. We're both actually working more hours than we did in the UK. So - ironically our failure has been to get our life / work balance right and this year has been particularly trying!

Has it been easy? Hell no! But here's hoping to an easier year next year as we start adjusting what we're doing!

x
Well I for one am glad to find out that this thread has a happy ending. :)

And that has nothing to do with the fact that I only just realised it is 7 years old either. :eek:

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

x
Apart from working hard you've been pretty lucky. There can't be many jobs in British doctors' surgeries going in Spain!:)
Are you doing the glamping, full time job at the doctor's sugery, and OH working on the transport company all at the same time?:shocked:
I do think it's a shame you didn't post more about your experiences. I know we've had people on here asking about glamping/ camping and how difficult it was to get licences and to comply with the regulations. You could give some tips and maybe it's a bit easier now, or maybe in your area the authorities are more reasonable.

BTW for others who are newer to the forum please note that this thread was started in 2009, a prime year for the recession in Spain which started in 2008 and that coloured many remarks that were made. The majority of experts forecast that the recession would last for 10 years. It seemed unbelievable at the time, but here we are in 2016 and whilst things are much much better, recovery is slow and Spain is still not back on her feet and with a caretaker governmnent that has been around for 300 days (on the 15th of Oct) it doesn't look like we're going to be racing towards full employment for a long time yet!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi there I'm not sure that I consider we've been 'lucky' to get where we are at today - it's been through sheer determination and hard work. Most of the summer, we've collectively been working 7 days a week - wrestling with the realisation that that's not what we started out to do! Coupled with my 45 minute commute twice a day, it's been an exhausting year!!

That said, it does go to show that if you are determined and hard working, it is possible for things to succeed! We have met many people like ourselves who have succeeded tho none of us are ever complacent.

And in answer to the question about why I never kept the forum updated, it was because quite frankly I didn't need the dressing downs which frequently happens on these forums! Cynical? Yes fraid do! But we unfortunately have reason to be!

x

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Hi there I'm not sure that I consider we've been 'lucky' to get where we are at today - it's been through sheer determination and hard work. Most of the summer, we've collectively been working 7 days a week - wrestling with the realisation that that's not what we started out to do! Coupled with my 45 minute commute twice a day, it's been an exhausting year!!

That said, it does go to show that if you are determined and hard working, it is possible for things to succeed! We have met many people like ourselves who have succeeded tho none of us are ever complacent.

And in answer to the question about why I never kept the forum updated, it was because quite frankly I didn't need the dressing downs which frequently happens on these forums! Cynical? Yes fraid do! But we unfortunately have reason to be!

x
Sheer determination and hard work, and imho, luck or maybe fate! I'm sure you have worked extremely hard, but I happen to believe that luck is a factor in most successful outcomes - love, work, finding the right home... Of course only you can know if that is true in your situation.

And I didn't ask a question about why you didn't update the forum I just said it was a shame you hadn't, especially as you feel that the forum gave you a dressing down and presumably didn't help you. Your up to date knowledge could guide others. What is now clear for example is that you don't earn a living from the glamping and that you haven't gone through the the licencing process that others thought could be problematic.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts