Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Jo. I'll keep you posted. We already have a friend on stand by to ship our belongings down - at well under £1k so you'll see that we are doing our homework!!!!!

Positivity all the way.

x

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
If you are serious about running a B&B or similar, the best th9ing would be to buy one that is already functioning. Still a bit of a nightmare transferring licences and so on. Also, be prepared for a bit of a hunt as any successful business don't tend to sell, it's those that are struggling that are mostly on the market. But not always. I do know of one being run by a lady who is desperate to sell - it is fully booked for the year and also for some of next year, but she used to run it with her husband who sadly died and she can't do it on her own. So there are some out there with success and maybe sad stories behind them. But on the whole you will find it quite a bit easier to take on something already running... just be very careful!! I should add that the business I am referring to is nowhere near where you want to be, just using it as an example...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Thrax. Thanks for your advice - which is most helpful. We have several ideas - and the B&B is just a sideline at the moment.

We are aware of the issues with licences etc so dont for one minute expect a smooth ride :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Zippy-Watkins, keep pressing on it can be a hard slog as we have found out 53 weeks to date and still on going, (due to a few unforeseen issues ) but their seems to be a bright light at the end of our tunnel
all the best
Carol

·
Registered
2 Posts
moving to Pinoso

Me and my husband are almost re-locating to Pinoso. We have my mum living in Monovar and we are looking to buy an apartment in Pinoso to be closer to her and help out more. This is a big step for us and as well as buying a property over there we will be leaving our UK rented home for a new life. What do you need to tell us from your experience of moving and living in Spain?

·
Administrator
36,532 Posts
Me and my husband are almost re-locating to Pinoso. We have my mum living in Monovar and we are looking to buy an apartment in Pinoso to be closer to her and help out more. This is a big step for us and as well as buying a property over there we will be leaving our UK rented home for a new life. What do you need to tell us from your experience of moving and living in Spain?
:welcome:

have a read of the many many threads here - it's all about moving to Spain!

for nitty-griitty-red-tape-legal-stuff, have a look at http://www.expatforum.com/expats/sp...-living-spain/2725-faqs-lots-useful-info.html

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Rent an apartment first, apartments are noisy, the communal areas are dirty, and the communities can never agree.

I bought an apartment as a investment, I would never buy another.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Zippy, we've just joined he forum with a view to moving out to Pinoso too. I just read the thread you started and hope that you managed to get some answers and help. Maybe we'll cross paths on the forum if you're still here. All the best and good luck.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Wendy, we just joined the forum tonight and are moving to Pinoso in the next 18 months. Hope regular forum users here can help you with your questions. We'd be interested in any info on contacts and accommodation in that area too. If we can share any info in return we will do so of course. All the best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Frank

I'm still here! I don't tend to post on the site nowadays as found it too negative! We are moving out in May and things are all going well! We bought a place inLa Romana in the end but know Pinoso well. Happy to help you if you need any advice - but also happy just to have a natter too!

Karen.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks Karen! I'm so glad you kept on going. I read the thread and thought WTF! How discouraging! I've used online forums (fora?) before and there can sometimes be an odd culture that forms in them. Combined with the unforgiving nature of online communication, it can make for uncomfortable territory at times.

Thank you for offering help/ advice. I'm currently looking for anyone out there who might help with small building work, ground work etc. But mainly just a humane point of contact for starters!

I also need to locate the local water company in Pinoso to contact them regarding the water meter on my plot of land out there. So far I've been out there a few times and bought 3 acres of land. Need to go out in a few months and make sure the land is still there! But also start to make some preparations so that we can do some basics on the land before moving our mobile home to the area as a first step. It feels a bit daunting so far and I have met some folks out there who only seem interested in talking to you if you are willing to throw cash at them. Hoping that we can come up with some positive, friendly experiences between now and the time we land....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Karen, I replied to your PM but don't see my email in my sent items folder, so I don't know if that means it didn't send? Are there restrictions on newbie's sending PMs until there are a minimum amount of posts or something?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Nick. How are you finding life in that area? In terms of the economy, services, cost of living etc? I haven't been out there for about 18 months and just wondering how bad things are being hit by the impact of Spain's unemployment etc.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts