Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Pick my next car for me

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Mclovin oo7 
#1 ·
A bit of Thursday afternoon fun for you all.

Budget: 500-110,000.
Can be either new or used.
Must be capable of driving to/from Abu Dhabi 2-3 times a week, sometimes more.
Ideally long servicing intervals.
Would be nice to have 4x4 capacities go go camping a few times a year, but not an absolute requirement.
Don't want to have to queue at petrol stations too often.

#3 ·
Budget: 500-110,000.

Brand new Pajero 3.5l, full options 111k, however I was in yesterday and see they've just gone into their Ramadan offers

Ideally long servicing intervals.

Al Habtoor probably have the cheapest and least fuss servicing out of all the main dealers. Granted their sales are a bit impersonal but can't fault their servicing.

Don't want to have to queue at petrol stations too often.

Petrol cap is on the other side :)

#7 ·
A bit of Thursday afternoon fun for you all.

Budget: 500-110,000. Check
Can be either new or used. New
Must be capable of driving to/from Abu Dhabi 2-3 times a week, sometimes more. Check
Ideally long servicing intervals. No
Would be nice to have 4x4 capacities go go camping a few times a year, but not an absolute requirement. Check; some trim levels are AWD, but not sure if thats desertworthy
Don't want to have to queue at petrol stations too often. No
Kia Sportage or Sorento?

#15 ·
Hi,
I really like the idea of the Pathfinder - but what put me off them was the CVT gearbox - it brings back so many bad memories of the Daf Variomatic system.
Being aimed at the US market - a really neat feature is the remote start function, so you can start the car and get it nice and cool before you get in! The top model also has screens in the back and a DVD player - to keep the kids amused on long journeys.
Cheers
Steve

#21 ·
A few years ago, my OH and I accompanied a friend on a test drive of a Kia something or other. We were backseat passengers and I commented to him that this was probably the first time we had been in a Kia and he said it was probably also our last! It was pretty dire. She ended up buying a Forrester. We tend to forget Subaru and I've got to say her car is pretty nifty, well priced and it really feels 'safe'. I'd say go test drive one and see what you think in terms of what you get for your buck against some of the other, more popular, manufacturers.

#25 ·
Hi,
We test drove one of those last year from the dealer in Festival city.
It was generally good to drive but had three problems.
Firstly - for some reason, the engine fitted in the Middle East versions of this car were an older, lower powered and less economical version than the one fitted in Europe (this is probably because Europe has stricter emission levels and more expensive petrol!).
The car we tested was top spec - so had really big wheels that looked great - but this made the car really badly thump over the speed bumps at the back of Festival city. I can't remember driving a car that crashed more than this one over speed bumps.
Lastly - most XC60s sold in the UAE are not 4WD - most are only front wheel drive.
Cheers
Steve

#26 ·
I have an XC60. Will agree with Steve on the bumps part of it. Also, mine is FWD as well.
I dont know which engine you tried, but I have the 2.0l TC version with 240hp output which is quite nifty - almost feels like a car in terms of pick up. Hardly any turbo lag.

Service intervals are 6 months/10K.

Quite happy, but service costs (similarly on a Tiguan) will quickly stack up if it needs to be done every 2 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.