Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of Thursday afternoon fun for you all.

Budget: 500-110,000.
Can be either new or used.
Must be capable of driving to/from Abu Dhabi 2-3 times a week, sometimes more.
Ideally long servicing intervals.
Would be nice to have 4x4 capacities go go camping a few times a year, but not an absolute requirement.
Don't want to have to queue at petrol stations too often.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

Can be either new or used.
Must be capable of driving to/from Abu Dhabi 2-3 times a week, sometimes more.
Would be nice to have 4x4 capacities go go camping a few times a year, but not an absolute requirement.
Something Japanese or Korean. Yeah, some European models could fit in there due to service intervals, but the maintenance costs for something be used for regular long commutes just isn't worth it.

2.7L Fortuner?

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

Brand new Pajero 3.5l, full options 111k, however I was in yesterday and see they've just gone into their Ramadan offers

Al Habtoor probably have the cheapest and least fuss servicing out of all the main dealers. Granted their sales are a bit impersonal but can't fault their servicing.

Petrol cap is on the other side :)

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Something Japanese or Korean. Yeah, some European models could fit in there due to service intervals, but the maintenance costs for something be used for regular long commutes just isn't worth it.

2.7L Fortuner?
Agreed, by far the best value for money for new

Or try a Pathfinder, great in the desert too.

Jeep SRT, 79,000 not too good on fuel though.

Land Rover LR4 V6, is a fantastic buy at 89,000

·
Registered
4,052 Posts

Budget: 500-110,000. Check
Can be either new or used. New
Must be capable of driving to/from Abu Dhabi 2-3 times a week, sometimes more. Check
Ideally long servicing intervals. No
Would be nice to have 4x4 capacities go go camping a few times a year, but not an absolute requirement. Check; some trim levels are AWD, but not sure if thats desertworthy
Don't want to have to queue at petrol stations too often. No
Kia Sportage or Sorento?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Ah, yes, who misses the hypocrisy of school days.?One set of rules for the kids, another set of rules for the teachers (look at the link at the bottom of Veronica's post)
Hi,
If you took the time to thoroughly read the forum rules - you would see this section of rule 10:-
Self-promotional links to your blog, video channel, product, business, etc. are limited to your forum signature if you are an Active Member. Active members (those with a 5+ post count) are allowed only one link (no extra wording, lines of text, slogans, no large text size etc.). No one is allowed to post self promotional links in the main forum areas.

This means that the link at the bottom of Veronica's posts is actually within the rules.
As a regular forum member, with more than 5 posts - you could do the same!!
Cheers
Steve

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Hi,
If you took the time to thoroughly read the forum rules - you would see this section of rule 10:-
Self-promotional links to your blog, video channel, product, business, etc. are limited to your forum signature if you are an Active Member. Active members (those with a 5+ post count) are allowed only one link (no extra wording, lines of text, slogans, no large text size etc.). No one is allowed to post self promotional links in the main forum areas.

This means that the link at the bottom of Veronica's posts is actually within the rules.
As a regular forum member, with more than 5 posts - you could do the same!!
Cheers
Steve
Also premium members |(that includes moderators) are allowed enhanced signatures:)

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Nissan Pathfinder, Hyundai Grand Santa Fe & the new KIA Sorento. In the same order.
Hi,
I really like the idea of the Pathfinder - but what put me off them was the CVT gearbox - it brings back so many bad memories of the Daf Variomatic system.
Being aimed at the US market - a really neat feature is the remote start function, so you can start the car and get it nice and cool before you get in! The top model also has screens in the back and a DVD player - to keep the kids amused on long journeys.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
LR4 V6 mate, best 4x4xfar, spacious, doesn't break down, and shows it loves you by crying a drop of Oil every time you leave it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi,
I really like the idea of the Pathfinder - but what put me off them was the CVT gearbox - it brings back so many bad memories of the Daf Variomatic system.
Being aimed at the US market - a really neat feature is the remote start function, so you can start the car and get it nice and cool before you get in! The top model also has screens in the back and a DVD player - to keep the kids amused on long journeys.
Cheers
Steve
I dislike CVT as well, but these are the ones within the budget given.

LR4 V6 mate, best 4x4xfar, spacious, doesn't break down, and shows it loves you by crying a drop of Oil every time you leave it.
LR4 starts with 240K new, so within the given budget you will probably get a worn out LR4, one that sheds litres of oil not just a drop.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
89k, 2011 V6, out of warranty? What could possibly go wrong?

Me, on that budget I'f buy a V8 Petrol Defender.

Now that WILL go wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts