Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a pain (or tension) in the left leg when I sit cross legged, or when I put left leg on top of right knee while sitting, or do a breast stroke kick in swimming. Basically, pain or tension in outer thigh when rotating hip. Otherwise I am well and can walk without issues. Showed to 4 doctors, but no conclusive diagnosis even after back MRI and X-rays. Don't have insurance so all spends are out of pocket.

I enquired about physiotherapy sessions in Dubai and it is ridiculously expensive (~450 AED per hour session). I am traveling to India later this month and I hear it is ridiculously cheap in India (like 400 rupees (~$5/hour). I am wondering if there is substantial difference in quality of physiotherapists in the two countries that makes prices differ so much, or is it like everything expensive here? I already tried 2 physio sessions in Aster(109 AED/session) and 3 orthopedic doctors there, and all were pretty useless. Physiotherapists there look like trainees from Kerala with no knowledge at all and no idea what they are doing. So I wonder it may be the same thing with physiotherapists in India (I have never been to physiotherapist throughout my life before). But some say it is not the case like I am thinking.

Anybody has any inputs, let me know.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So it seems you want a good service with an extremely low price. I don't think that exists.

Plenty of western physiotherapists in Dubai but at prices you won't accept.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it seems you want a good service with an extremely low price. I don't think that exists.

Plenty of western physiotherapists in Dubai but at prices you won't accept.
Thanks for the reply. The aim of the post was to get an understanding of price vis-a-vis value which is tricky in place like Dubai. To be sure, there are so many things that are very reasonably priced (or low priced with superior quality) products in Dubai compared to other countries, including countries like India -- restaurant food, cars, Gold, etc. And at the same time there are lot of things in Dubai where pricing is just off the mark defying not just laws of economics, but severely underestimating customer's intelligence. An organic protein powder (240 gms) available in Aster pharmacy for 240 AED is available on Amazon for mere $15. There are umpteen number of examples I come across everyday, even in Healthcare . My aim was to understand whether physiotherapists in Dubai are overpriced or fairly priced compared to skills and pricing around the world. I got a partial answer yesterday from someone on Twitter, physiotherapy skills are varied with each practitioner using range of methods to access and treat the condition. May be there is difference in skills, but by how much I have no idea. May be insurance may be one of the reasons to inflate the bills.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts