Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Please help!!!

My husband is an Electrician and currently got an EOI for nomination in South Australia. The problem is he is 45 in 4 months so we think we'll run out of time so I have started applying for my Skills Assessment as a Physiotherapist.

I've been issued an Interim Certificate to practice supervised as a Physio in Oz, but to have skills assessed for Migration purposes you need full unrestricted registration and the Practical Exam can only be completed in Oz!!

This seems a lot to expect of someone but it is how it is, so I've now started the process of gaining registration for New Zealand (no exams but a mammoth application form!).

We don't wish to live in NZ (although its amazing and would if Oz fell through) but I've now been told you cant just transfer the registration from NZ to Oz for emigration purposes without working / living in NZ first, is this correct?

My dream of living in Oz is slipping away fast so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi guys,

Please help!!!

My husband is an Electrician and currently got an EOI for nomination in South Australia. The problem is he is 45 in 4 months so we think we'll run out of time so I have started applying for my Skills Assessment as a Physiotherapist.

I've been issued an Interim Certificate to practice supervised as a Physio in Oz, but to have skills assessed for Migration purposes you need full unrestricted registration and the Practical Exam can only be completed in Oz!!

This seems a lot to expect of someone but it is how it is, so I've now started the process of gaining registration for New Zealand (no exams but a mammoth application form!).

We don't wish to live in NZ (although its amazing and would if Oz fell through) but I've now been told you cant just transfer the registration from NZ to Oz for emigration purposes without working / living in NZ first, is this correct?

My dream of living in Oz is slipping away fast so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dont know much about Physiotherapy so wont comment on that. Maybe contact the Australian Physiotherapy Council for further advise on your eligibility? Not sure if that will help, though.

Also, are their any chances of increasing the points total in any other way? English scores maybe? What is your current points total by the way? Submit an EOI for 189 if you have enough points based on current trend?

Also, I think Electrician occupation is open in states like Tasmania, NSW, NT; other than SA. Submit an EOI in each of these as well?

Indeed you are running out of time, and I would suggest looking for a possible options you have at the moment.

As a last resort, you may want to consider becoming the primary applicant in the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

Yeah getting Physiotherapy recognised through a skill assessment isn't straight forward (or Cheap!) but I've started the process to 1) try and get hubby 5 points 2) as a back up if he runs out of time and I need to do the visa application which is starting to look likely!

He has Bachelors Degree, >10yrs experience, etc, but because of his age only has 60 point (inc 5 points for nomination) so unable to apply for the 189. He has got another English exam in a few days to try and get superior English which will take him up to 70. He's done the IELTs x3 and although he manages 9 / 8.5's in R, L & S he can't get more than 7.5 for the written?? so he's trying the PTE next!

He has put an EOI in for SA but then realised you can put multiple EOI in he tried to put in for NSW & NT but the Skillselect login seems to be down at the moment? but will keep trying. And if he gets these extra points he'll put in for the 189 too.

I've wanted to emigrate since backpacking 20 years ago so I'll be devastated if it doesn't happen!

Many thanks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi,

Thank you for you reply.

Yeah getting Physiotherapy recognised through a skill assessment isn't straight forward (or Cheap!) but I've started the process to 1) try and get hubby 5 points 2) as a back up if he runs out of time and I need to do the visa application which is starting to look likely!

He has Bachelors Degree, >10yrs experience, etc, but because of his age only has 60 point (inc 5 points for nomination) so unable to apply for the 189. He has got another English exam in a few days to try and get superior English which will take him up to 70. He's done the IELTs x3 and although he manages 9 / 8.5's in R, L & S he can't get more than 7.5 for the written?? so he's trying the PTE next!

He has put an EOI in for SA but then realised you can put multiple EOI in he tried to put in for NSW & NT but the Skillselect login seems to be down at the moment? but will keep trying. And if he gets these extra points he'll put in for the 189 too.

I've wanted to emigrate since backpacking 20 years ago so I'll be devastated if it doesn't happen!

Many thanks

The skillselect system was down for past couple of days; but is up and working. You can submit EOIs with other states now.

Meanwhile, yes, PTE sounds a good option; there are some threads on this forum to help him prepare for PTE. Based on the current trend an EOI with 70 should get you an invite in the very next round.

In your situation where time is a limited resource, I will suggest you also look for some professional help from a MARA agent; looking for other available options, or the whole process in general. You can also go for some professional coaching for the English test for your husband, if you think it may help in any way.

And as the saying goes, Luck favors those who help themselves; keep trying, and the warm Southern Sun will be within your reach.

Reactions: PhysioJo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts