Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
Hopefully this year I'll be heading out to Dubai to teach English. As well as my day job I am a keen semi-professional photographer.
Is it okay to set up a camera and tripod in Dubai city centre and start snapping?
Photography is getting a tough time here in Europe from over zealous security staff.What's it like out there?

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Hi there.
Hopefully this year I'll be heading out to Dubai to teach English. As well as my day job I am a keen semi-professional photographer.
Is it okay to set up a camera and tripod in Dubai city centre and start snapping?
Photography is getting a tough time here in Europe from over zealous security staff.What's it like out there?
Do not take pictures of locals, that could get you in trouble.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
No government buildings. No women as you don't know who is local or not. Equipment here is expensive so if you are wanting new camera or lense, get it before coming.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.
Well you will also run into over zealous security people over here specially if you are carrying a tripod or sometimes even SLR. :p It is quite annoying because they will allow you to photograph with a digicam or smartphone but seeing an actual camera freaks them out. (Dubai Mall, DIFC are some examples)....

Anyway you can still try your luck at random places and can get away with some beautiful shots.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Street photography is difficult because of the cultural sensitivities here. If that's something you're interested in, I would suggest you get a camera like the Fujifilm X100, that looks harmless and unobtrusive, but can take excellent pictures.

Like mazharali mentioned, DSLRs tend to freak some people out. On the other hand, there are tons of interesting buildings, deserts to take pictures of. Get a friend to accompany you, who is willing to pose for pictures. That way, you can take a couple of snaps of theirs and then focus on the surroundings.

I would also suggest signing up with the Emirates Photography Club on meetup after you arrive here. It's a great gathering of pros and amateurs and there are interesting events always.

We have some nice photogs here too, in case you want to hang out with shutter nuttters :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wouldn't worry about security in the tourist places, every other person has a DSLR strapped around their neck. It's a boring place for photography though, unless you like cliché nonsense, buildings or sand.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
on the other hand, there are more DSLR's per capita here than i've seen in most places..!
and dafty's using ipads as cameras!

It's not Dubai, but after a visit yesterday, i'd say a trip to the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi is worthwhile. You'd be hard-pressed not to take a good photo there, but it's fun trying to get THE photograph, as always. Awesome place.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Very old thread dredged up...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just came in to Dubai last week and when I was not dealing with my relocation processes, I was wondering around with a hefty d-SLR and shooting pics on the street and in the malls.. I have not experienced any restrictions or security guys running after me bec' I took pics..

Maybe it was my luck, dunno...

However I am sorry that I did not bring along a wide angle :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have not experienced any restrictions or security guys running after me bec' I took pics..
I still don't know why people think that that will happen =/. Anyone is free to take photographs, just try avoiding women wearing abayas and burqas (the black dresses).

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can take photos as long as you dont take any photographs of locals specially woman. or any government buildings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts