Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, we just submitted our documents today for Tier 2 visa. We gave a photocopy of my degree certificate and also a photocopy of our marriage certificate. The officer who collected the document did not check the originals. I asked her if I should give the originals instead. She said, I cannot advise, you can give if you wish, but may be photocopies might be ok. Finally, I did not give the originals and we submitted just the photocopies.
Does anyone know about this being a problem? Many thanks.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
Could be. Originals are almost always required, and if for some valid reasons only a copy is submitted, you need to get it certified by the issuer (e.g. your university). You should have insisted they take the originals as well as copies. You just have to wait for outcome.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not do so much research on how important it is to submit originals so that the ECO actually has them. I was focussing on a host of other things. Of course, I knew they need originals. I took everyone of them with me. I was of the opinion that they will either verify the originals and take copies or ask for originals and copies. I was prepared for both. But, when the officer there went through my documents, took the copies, I asked her very clearly, whats with the originals. Shall i submit them as well. Her answer exactly was, " well, i cant advise you, if you wish you may give, but it should be ok. With a CoS, your case should be pretty straightforward." With that answer and considering what a pain it is to lose originals, i did not give her. Leter, when i came home and started to think and did some research, it dawned on me how crucial it is to have submitted originals. I just felt tricked or fooled by the officer who collected the documents. I dont believe for a second that she doesnt know how important it is to take originals. If not help me as a human, at least she could give me correct information. Affter all, one sentence was all that was needed.
I write this here so that no one else has this experience especially after paying so much money and getting a tricky service. I really hope, they will give me a chance to submit my originals, though I understand very clearly that the chances are very bleak. Together, we paid, 3000 GBP ( visa+ priority+ IHS) and now we have look at making more debts!
Take care with applications people and Iu will update on what happens, next week.
Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience, vgkab. It is so frustrating when you devote considerable time, money and effort to something only to be messed around by someone (if that's what the officer did). I've experienced something similar myself and it's very disheartening and hard to understand why someone would decide to make life difficult for another person.

However, you haven't heard back yet, so there's not much sense in worrying too much before you hear.

Does anyone know if vgkab can withdraw the application and get a refund? The website (gov.uk/cancel-visa) says you can get a refund if your application hasn't been processed yet.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
But not after the biometrics have been given.
I really feel VAC staff shouldn't act like judge and jury over people's applications. They aren't visa officers and have no say in success or failure of your application.
If you do get your visa, I suggest you lodge a complaint about the actions of VAC staff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks blueskyUS, thats a good idea, though i dont know if its still possible. I submitted my documents on 30th and also gaver the biometrics data. The status in teleperformance shows, "Transferred for Decision .Your application has now been dispatched to UK Visas & Immigration for a decision."
Any advices on if i can withdraw are greatly appreciated. I know they have not made the decision yet, but I think most of you would agree that its going to be a rejection. It will not only cost me money, but importantly time. The university in UK cant apply for a fresh CoS after 5th of every month. Now, once they reject they have to wait till June 5th to apply, 3rd week of June for me to get, and then reapplication, not eligible for priority anymore( because of one refusal ). Too many implications for such a silly issue. I am supposed to start in the university from 25 May :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have some updates. The day following the submission of my application, 1st May, i called UKVI on phone and told them what happened and why i did not submit my originals. They took my details and promised to write an e-mail to visa processing centre. On 6th May, my wife got an e-mail from ECO and they said, she has not paid IHS fees of 600 GBP. It was funny. We paid IHS fee well before submitting application and included receipt along with application. We also wrote IHS reference number on front page of application. They acknowledged that I paid, but they say my wife did not. We immediately sent them a reply by again attaching payment receipt for IHS fee. And today we were expecting to see the status change to decision made. However, we got an email fromDHL saying they picked our documents from British embassy and we will get them by tomorrow evening , 8th May. However, the status of application still remains unchanged.
Yesterday, we also received an email from UKVI as an update to my phone call about original documents. They wrote: If we require original documents, we will contact you.
We are eagerly waiting for tomorrow to see what our passports hold!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More updates. This time, some good news. Both me and my wife got the visas. I applied with a one year employment contract. However, they made both our visas for 3 years. Valid until: 07-05-2018. I hope that is what it means.
With that, I cant thank enough all the advices, suggestions from all the nice people here. I am very grateful for all the help. Good luck and best wishes for all future applicants and please dont forget to submit originals :) (Though I made it without submitting any originals, it carries a risk)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.