Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into (SIM only) mobile phone plans for once I get to the UK. I see myself mostly using Skype to make calls back to the US, but I'd like to text (and, even better MMS) my friends and family back home. I've been able to find several plans that have free or cheap calls, but nothing that gives free or cheap international texts.

Is there a plan or app that people use for this? Thanks!! <3

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I gave up on SMS/MMS when moving to the UK - there's just no reason to use SMS/MMS when you can use WhatsApp/iMessage/Google or any other "service-agnostic" provider which can send messages over the internet rather than a data carrier.

I'd highly recommend you get a Google Voice number now if you don't have one, it's invaluable and you can call/text US numbers for free

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd highly recommend you get a Google Voice number now if you don't have one, it's invaluable and you can call/text US numbers for free
Ah, thanks! I just snagged a google voice number and hooked it up to hangouts. I think this is what I wanted. I guess I'll find out in November when I arrive. :) Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.