Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Article is July 2015, the data is based on the most recent 2012 study. You will also see these categories listed as A, B, C, D, E in The Philippines for Marketing Research.

Click here for the article

Poor - Less than PHP 7,890 per month

Low income (but not poor) - between PHP 7,890 to PHP 15,780 per month

Lower middle income - Between PHP 15,780 to PHP 31,560 per month

Middle class - Between PHP 31,560 to PHP 78,900 per month

Upper middle income - Between PHP78,900 to PHP 118,350 per month

Upper income (but not rich) - Between PHP 118,350 to PHP 157,800 per month

Rich - At least PHP 157,800 per month

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So $1000 per month makes up middle-class and $2000 upper middle-class. So who said foreigners are not rich.

The Peso rate today was 45 so one would need $3,507 per month to be considered "Rich" by Philippine standards.

Rich - At least PHP 157,800 per month

·
Registered
6 Posts
middle class

Thank you for posting, interesting.
Once middle class always middle class, At least I'm upper middle class here. Which is fine with me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Really I find it hard to believe 157,800 makes you rich.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Really I find it hard to believe 157,800 makes you rich.
The amount 157,800 PHP per month is around 1.5 times to 1.75 times the amount which people on this forum identify as a comfortable monthly income for a U.S. expat in the Philippines.

Why do you find 157,800 PHP per month (US$3467 per month) a difficult number to believe as the lower limit of what defines the "rich" in the Philippines?

(I do not really see a "right or wrong" answer on this topic, I am just curious about what you are thinking. To me, relative to the area, I would consider a person with this income as "financially rich".)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well I was lower middle class in the US... and i am here too ha ha. At lest I am consistent, and it is better than working for a living. :)
Im rite there too, really getting tired of fighting a stagnant economy .
my eco no mi$$ ,, will actually improve after i make the move , up a notch or so .
I spoke to a realtor this morning , from wausau wisconsin apx 1 hour south .
He purchased a dozen bank repo's ,, 3 bedroom garage and ? has some of them
listed $ 25,700usd ,, yep booming economy . im a bit off topic ,,but .

·
Registered
774 Posts
The amount 157,800 PHP per month is around 1.5 times to 1.75 times the amount which people on this forum identify as a comfortable monthly income for a U.S. expat in the Philippines.

Why do you find 157,800 PHP per month (US$3467 per month) a difficult number to believe as the lower limit of what defines the "rich" in the Philippines?

(I do not really see a "right or wrong" answer on this topic, I am just curious about what you are thinking. To me, relative to the area, I would consider a person with this income as "financially rich".)
Based on myself. You are correct based on your location. Also based on how you live. How big of a home you have type of car you have. You health matters as well doctors hospital etc. Your eating habits. To me this is a decent income for sure. But by not means rich. Now as compared to squatters yes it seems rich. I certainly don't consider myself rich. I can't go to a car dealer and buy a car with cash. I have to save to purchase a new phone or TV or ref or AC. repairs to my home etc. If I was rich I could do all these things. That's what I base my though of rich on.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Based on myself. You are correct based on your location. Also based on how you live. How big of a home you have type of car you have. You health matters as well doctors hospital etc. Your eating habits. To me this is a decent income for sure. But by not means rich. Now as compared to squatters yes it seems rich. I certainly don't consider myself rich. I can't go to a car dealer and buy a car with cash. I have to save to purchase a new phone or TV or ref or AC. repairs to my home etc. If I was rich I could do all these things. That's what I base my though of rich on.
You may have to save for these things, but you have the ability to do this which is a world of difference to the average Juan.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depends upon the number of mouths you are feeding :) I guess. ....
Now thats the truest statement here...try feeding and putting five through school and that does not include wife and I.....but in the end...its rewarding...at least in the end we know that there will be five here that have and education and are not thin skinned..
If you figure how much is left over every month...I guess we are poor lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts