Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am PhD student living in Melbourne along with my wife (she is a nurse with her registration pending). I am going to complete my PhD in a couple of months. I am looking for some advice related to VIC state 190 visa. I would like to be the main applicant. I am a Chemistry PhD student, but did my bachelors and Masters in Pharmaceutical sciences. Is there any chance I can apply for 190 visa after my PhD? If so, which skill assessment am I supposed to take? I would really appreciate if there are any suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are you a PhD student at one of universities in Melbourne? If it's the case, you can nominate any occupation in IMMI 18/051 Instrument for visa 190. For more information, please refer to https://liveinmelbourne.vic.gov.au/...reamlined-pathway-for-international-graduates

You may go for chemical, pharmacy-related, or science occupation which is assessed by VETASSESS. Last question, are you a self-funding or scholarship PhD student?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you a PhD student at one of universities in Melbourne? If it's the case, you can nominate any occupation in IMMI 18/051 Instrument for visa...

You may go for chemical, pharmacy-related, or science occupation which is assessed by VETASSESS. Last question, are you a self-funding or scholarship PhD student?
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am a PhD student from a public university from Melbourne and fully funded by Govt of Australia. Are you saying I can get assessed as an Industrial pharmacist and still get state sponsorship? I do not have any work experience other than some paid part time teaching and research assistantship (paid too). Thanks again for suggesting me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Victoria offers migration opportunities for its PhD students generously, regardless their occupations in the Medium and Long‑term Strategic Skills (MLSS) List or Short‑term Skilled Occupation (SSO) List.

That's great, because VETASSESS consider PhD studies as work experience as long as it is paid. Please have a look at https://www.vetassess.com.au/skills...on/general-occupations/nominate-an-occupation

I think that you should check the occupations in IMMI 18/051 https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L00299 that match you perfectly and go through the skill assessment from VETASSES carefully.

Industrial pharmacist is good for you if you can prove that your PhD study is relevant to this professional. When will you submit your thesis?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Victoria offers migration opportunities for its PhD students generously, regardless their occupations in the Medium and Long‑term Strategic Skills (MLSS) List or Short‑term Skilled Occupation (SSO) List.

Thank you for the information.
I will be submitting my thesis by October 2018. I do not really know which profession I should choose, as my undergrad and postgrad degree were in pharmaceutical sciences and Ph.D. degree is in Materials Engineering (but it includes Chemistry and Biology mostly).

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can apply for engineering technologist or material engineer which is assessed by Engineering Australia. They require you to write a report about your three engineering projects. You can use what you have done in your PhD in these projects eg you can extract from your thesis or your papers.

Their booklet contains enough information how to be assessed by them https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/sites/default/files/2018-05/MSA Booklet March 2018.pdf

If you thesis is submitted in Oct. 2018 and everything is good, you probably receive confirmation of PhD completion after that 2-3 months. Then you can use that completion letter and the engineering project which you prepare in the waiting time for thesis evaluation to submit to Engineering Australia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts