Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Experts ,

I am from India. My wife has recently completed her Phd in Chemistry which was complety funded via scholarship.
Her bachelor and masters degree is also in Chemistry. But she has no job experience as of now.
Can we apply for Australia PR , with her being primary applicant.
Thanks in advance. Or please guide me to appropriate thread where this was already asnwered.

There are two skill codes :
Chemist 234211
Chemistry Technician 311411

which one is most suitable fit?

Thanks,
Aviank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi Experts ,

I am from India. My wife has recently completed her Phd in Chemistry which was complety funded via scholarship.
Her bachelor and masters degree is also in Chemistry. But she has no job experience as of now.
Can we apply for Australia PR , with her being primary applicant.
Thanks in advance. Or please guide me to appropriate thread where this was already asnwered.

There are two skill codes :
Chemist 234211
Chemistry Technician 311411

which one is most suitable fit?

Thanks,
Aviank.
Chemist is no longer on the list, give chemistry technician a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My bigger concern is regarding work experience.
As far as non Phd cases are concerned work experience is a must.
I want to know having 0 years of experience after Phd , does it make sense to apply for PR or wait for 3-5 years to gain experience and then apply.

Thanks,
Aviank.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My bigger concern is regarding work experience.
As far as non Phd cases are concerned work experience is a must.
I want to know having 0 years of experience after Phd , does it make sense to apply for PR or wait for 3-5 years to gain experience and then apply.

Thanks,
Aviank.
Chemistry technician assessment is quite difficult for PhD graduants with no work experience and chemist has been removed. It's not easy for your wife to find a proper occupation.
Two suggestions, 1, talk to an agent about your wife's education history, see if there is any chance she can go with chemical engineer or even engineering technologist. 2, work for one or two years and be eligible to chemistry technician.
The good thing is there is always PhD streamline which is short cut, BTW where did your wife get the PhD, consider SS from that state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chemistry technician assessment is quite difficult for PhD graduants with no work experience and chemist has been removed. It's not easy for your wife to find a proper occupation.
Two suggestions, 1, talk to an agent about your wife's education history, see if there is any chance she can go with chemical engineer or even engineering technologist. 2, work for one or two years and be eligible to chemistry technician.
The good thing is there is always PhD streamline which is short cut, BTW where did your wife get the PhD, consider SS from that state.
Thanks for your suggestions ,
In India there are hardly any agents that know anything about complicated cases , such as this. They only expertise in visas where everything is straighforward in the person's profile. Though I will try to search for some reputed agencies that can help in this regard.
She has got her Phd from India only (Indian Institute of Technology , Kanpur).

Also I have come across one FAQ on vetassessdotcomdotau
'Not able to post links as of now , as I am new member'

Can my PhD studies be considered as work experience for Skills Assessment?

"For scientist occupations such as Agricultural Scientist, Physicist and Chemist, it may be possible to consider your doctoral degree studies to meet our employment criteria for skills assessment purposes. PhD level studies may be considered if you are able to demonstrate that the work has been performed at the required skill level of the nominated occupation, is at least 20 working hours per week, and is paid.

You will be required to provide official employment evidence supporting paid research employment performed at this (doctoral degree) level.

Official evidence include: research publications; a statement of service on official institution letterhead from the Head of the Department indicating the significance of the research being performed; your tasks; and evidence of how you are remunerated. Please note that evidence of remuneration would include scholarship grants (full tuition fee coverage and stipend) supporting research studies at doctoral degree level.

Please also note that the employment/research period may only be considered suitable if your paid research closely matches the major tasks usually undertaken in that occupation in Australia. PhD research which is unpaid cannot be considered for skills assessment purposes. Partially funded PhD studies will also not be accepted."

- Now this has made me more confused , if should we apply or wait for 2-3 years.

Thanks,

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions ,
In India there are hardly any agents that know anything about complicated cases , such as this. They only expertise in visas where everything is straighforward in the person's profile. Though I will try to search for some reputed agencies that can help in this regard.
She has got her Phd from India only (Indian Institute of Technology , Kanpur).

Also I have come across one FAQ on vetassessdotcomdotau
'Not able to post links as of now , as I am new member'

Can my PhD studies be considered as work experience for Skills Assessment?

"For scientist occupations such as Agricultural Scientist, Physicist and Chemist, it may be possible to consider your doctoral degree studies to meet our employment criteria for skills assessment purposes. PhD level studies may be considered if you are able to demonstrate that the work has been performed at the required skill level of the nominated occupation, is at least 20 working hours per week, and is paid.

You will be required to provide official employment evidence supporting paid research employment performed at this (doctoral degree) level.

Official evidence include: research publications; a statement of service on official institution letterhead from the Head of the Department indicating the significance of the research being performed; your tasks; and evidence of how you are remunerated. Please note that evidence of remuneration would include scholarship grants (full tuition fee coverage and stipend) supporting research studies at doctoral degree level.

Please also note that the employment/research period may only be considered suitable if your paid research closely matches the major tasks usually undertaken in that occupation in Australia. PhD research which is unpaid cannot be considered for skills assessment purposes. Partially funded PhD studies will also not be accepted."

- Now this has made me more confused , if should we apply or wait for 2-3 years.

Thanks,
Your wife probably will be grant chemist occupation by using her PhD degree as long as she had a scholarship, but chemist is not useful in GSM.
On the other hand, chemistry technicion is on the oppupation list. However, she cannot claim PhD study as experience for chemistry technician which means she cannot get positive outcome from VET. She will be eligible for this occupation if she works in this field for more than one year (normally requires more than one year for offshore job). After all, an occupation is essential to the GSM.
Shall you search for Victoria state sponsorship with internation PhD streamline, this is probabbly the best option for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello All,

Is anyone has done a skill assessment for Chemist (ANZSCO Code 234211)? I have a couple of queries to be solved.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts