Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live out in the country and have a nine foot wall around our home but I'm finding rather large droppings on our porch. This isn't a rat, we see weasel looking critters running across the road here that resemble a ferret. I just bought my wife nice wicker patio furniture for the porch, one is a small table with four square stools that pull out. The stools are hollow for storage and she fears it will gnaw on it to see what is inside.

So I bought a large rat trap from Home Depot and baited it with cheddar cheese for two nights, no takers. We have a critter that looks like a weasel or a ferret that we see run across the roads here. It has done no harm so far so I'll build a live trap and put a dog treat on the trigger as weasels eat meat. The Sierra de los Tuxtlas ecoregion contains one of the largest moist forests in Mexico. Many plant and animal species found are unique to Mexico and cannot be found anywhere else in the world.

I'll keep you "posted" and put a picture if I catch the critter. I'm hoping it is not a chupicabra, one was caught in a fence here recently. This critter was actually found here.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What would you say that thing is Isla?

·
Super Moderator
9,011 Posts
What would you say that thing is Isla?
Here are two descriptions of this creature mentioned in the link I sent:

The most common description of the chupacabra is that of a reptile-like creature, said to have leathery or scaly greenish-gray skin and sharp spines or quills running down its back.[13] It is said to be approximately 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.2 m) high, and stands and hops in a fashion similar to that of a kangaroo

Another common description of the chupacabra is of a strange breed of wild dog.[14] This form is mostly hairless and has a pronounced spinal ridge, unusually pronounced eye sockets, fangs, and claws. Unlike conventional predators, the chupacabra is said to drain all of the animal's blood (and sometimes organs) usually through three holes in the shape of a downwards-pointing triangle or through one or two holes.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Funny how this post starts out: Phantom Pooper......Then continues with words like: four square stools --The stools are hollow --Chances are it is a long tailed weasel or a big stoat.------

So lets see, a nocturnal long tailed animal could be a Zorro........lol

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny how this post starts out: Phantom Pooper......Then continues with words like: four square stools --The stools are hollow --Chances are it is a long tailed weasel or a big stoat.------

So lets see, a nocturnal long tailed animal could be a Zorro........lol

This poop snoop has been going on for a while now. My wife, in her infinite wisdom insisted on an apron or a sidewalk around our home under the eave of the roof, the logic is now clear. We have a nice, smooth, dry place to walk in the abundant rain. But this Hispanic highway reveals much and that is the evidence of something pooping on our patio. This is reason for alarm when it gets rather large.

It does not eat cheese, think about that.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
This poop snoop has been going on for a while now. My wife, in her infinite wisdom insisted on an apron or a sidewalk around our home under the eave of the roof, the logic is now clear. We have a nice, smooth, dry place to walk in the abundant rain. But this Hispanic highway reveals much and that is the evidence of something pooping on our patio. This is reason for alarm when it gets rather large.

It does not eat cheese, think about that.
Strange, but tell me is your wife or you cutting the cheese?
I still think it was a Zorro.........

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I think I have figured it out but let's have some fun with this and turn it into one of those “How well do you really know Mexico ?” threads that people here like to beat their chest about.

It doesn't eat cheese. Cheese does not naturally occur in nature here in Mexico but I have never seen a dog or even a cat that won't eat it if it is presented to them, then they love it so a scavenging carnivore will eat cheese if it is hungry and finds it. We installed one of those rubber sweepers at the bottom of the door and almost immediately a mouse chewed through it and got into the house. A small trap and a piece of cheese solved this problem. I moved my lawn mower and another ran out, the trap caught that one the next day. I got a strip of aluminum and painted it to match the door then mounted it on the bottom with no room to squeeze through and this eliminated the mouse in the house problem. But I was seeing big droppings, a lot bigger than a mouse on our sidewalk so I set a rat trap with cheese thinking it was a rat, we find these droppings daily but after days with a trap set with cheese there were no takers,

Different areas of Mexico have specialized, localized life forms only found in that area. The entire Yucatan coast of the Caribbean has a unique variety of animals. The cenotes along the coast form mangrove swamps that are home to salt water crocodiles, big, nasty and dangerous. They go to the ocean a couple of times a year to kill the parasites on their hide scaring the crap out of the tourists.

Iguanas, big black ones basking in the sun and darting across the road.

Coatimundies, those long nosed, ring tailed Mexican raccoons found in the hundreds in the local dump. Mothers with their babies and every shade of color from brown to orange.

Spider Monkeys, long tailed, long legged, long armed critters.

Sea Turtles, leaving their large trails on the beach when they crawl ashore and lay their eggs at night.

But I tend to wander, although there are specialized, localized life forms in certain areas, there are some particular ones that are abundant all across Mexico and that is what started this poop snoop long ago. I kept finding bigger and bigger poop right outside, so I set a rat trap but it won't eat cheese so it's not a rat, what could it be?

There is a life form that is welcome, found in the hundreds on our land and even in our houses at times no matter where we live. When we find one in our home, we don't kill it because it helps us, we take it out. I've seen them in bars and no one batted an eye. They laugh at us at night through the window screen, what critter is this? If you live in Mexico, you know.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If it’s a chupacabra maybe you need to use a goat for bait ...

We get scat on our terrace. Pretty sure it’s either from a tejón (the word commonly used for coaties in Tepoztlán) or a tlacuache (opossum). Very similar to the droppings we find in Toronto from the numerous neighbourhood raccoons.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If it’s a chupacabra maybe you need to use a goat for bait ...

We get scat on our terrace. Pretty sure it’s either from a tejón (the word commonly used for coaties in Tepoztlán) or a tlacuache (opossum). Very similar to the droppings we find in Toronto from the numerous neighbourhood raccoons.
I was surprised when I discovered what it was, or what I think it is. Way too large for a rat so I assumed it was a weasel due to the size, but I'll wait to see if anyone guesses the life form I spoke of, We live in a tropical rain forest area, very wet, the forests here are very thick.

I discovered the culprit while mowing the lawn, it lives in a tire that I painted and planted a plant in the center, the tire holds water.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Cheese does not naturally occur in nature here in Mexico
Cheese is man made, the process involves precise ingredients, steps and time. It does not naturally occur anywhere.

But cheese has been in Mexico since the 16th century, the knowledge having been brought over by the Spaniards. So, 500+ years for local creatures of all types to acquire a like of it.

Except your wildebeest.

Do you have a webcam? Set it on record all night.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheese is man made, the process involves precise ingredients, steps and time. It does not naturally occur anywhere.

But cheese has been in Mexico since the 16th century, the knowledge having been brought over by the Spaniards. So, 500+ years for local creatures of all types to acquire a like of it.

Except your wildebeest.

Do you have a webcam? Set it on record all night.
I'm hip to the fact that cheese is man made, what I mean't was it is not a part of a rat's normal diet. A wild rat that lives in the woods here has never seen cheese but will attack it just from the smell and love it.

No guesses? Not a rat, does not eat cheese, big droppings. We have to drive our trash to the nearest village for pickup. At times we don't go anywhere for days due to the rain and we just don't need anything so we will take the plastic trash bag out of the trash can and start another. If it was a rat it would tear into the bags.

I discovered what it is, I think.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I was surprised when I discovered what it was, or what I think it is. Way too large for a rat so I assumed it was a weasel due to the size, but I'll wait to see if anyone guesses the life form I spoke of, We live in a tropical rain forest area, very wet, the forests here are very thick.

I discovered the culprit while mowing the lawn, it lives in a tire that I painted and planted a plant in the center, the tire holds water.
If it is weasel like and it likes water it could be a mink.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts