Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit concerned about the poisoning of animals and is it still going on ? My wife and I are going to be moving to Cyprus next year with our Scottie dog, so how careful do we have to be. Also what is the laws on dog fowling because when we were there this year in a Villa between Coral Bay & Peyia on a morning stroll we had to walk around at least 5 doggie poos on the pavement , is it not against the law as in UK . I think I would feel really guilty walking away and leaving my dogs poo on a walkway or anywhere else for that matter.

G

·
A bit concerned about the poisoning of animals and is it still going on ? My wife and I are going to be moving to Cyprus next year with our Scottie dog, so how careful do we have to be. Also what is the laws on dog fowling because when we were there this year in a Villa between Coral Bay & Peyia on a morning stroll we had to walk around at least 5 doggie poos on the pavement , is it not against the law as in UK . I think I would feel really guilty walking away and leaving my dogs poo on a walkway or anywhere else for that matter.
Poisoning is still going on, as in other parts of the world. But how common its hard to saz. There was a case about 10 days ago in Universal, Paphos where 3 dogs died. According to some newspaper article an expat is a suspect.

Anders

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
As with all pets you have to be on your guard. I have friends who have had their dogs poisoned on the beach as well as their backyards and gardens, but the theory behind the 3 recent family pets tragedy is yet unknown, either way, it is an appalling episode to find all 3 of your dogs suffering a horrific death.

I am afraid if it happened to me I would take matters into my own hands and move heaven and earth to find the person/s responsible and take it from there......

I know that D&N vets did have a 'poison line', I am not sure if that is still going.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Poison

I have read that you can get a poison pack that would delay the effect till you get to a vet but not sure what the signs would be to tell your pet has been poisoned.
Anyway even here in Aberdeen he is kept on a tight leash as I am ha ha and doesn't get to sniff around to long.

G

·
I have read that you can get a poison pack that would delay the effect till you get to a vet but not sure what the signs would be to tell your pet has been poisoned.
Anyway even here in Aberdeen he is kept on a tight leash as I am ha ha and doesn't get to sniff around to long.
The poison pack make the dog vomit and hopefully get rid of most of the poison. If there is a second ampule its normally cortisone against the shock. We always carry when we walk our boarding dogs to be on the safe side

Anders

·
Super Moderator
12,539 Posts
Our dog is never allowed off his lead as he will pick up anything and everything he can so we don't take chances although there havn't been any poisonings where we live.

As for picking up after your dog, we always have doggy poop bags with us and clean up after him. It is illegal to not to clean up after your dog, but that dosn't stop the lazy, irresponsilbe dog owners walking away and of course there are the dogs which are allowed to wander around free.

G

·
Our dog is never allowed off his lead as he will pick up anything and everything he can so we don't take chances although there havn't been any poisonings where we live.

As for picking up after your dog, we always have doggy poop bags with us and clean up after him. It is illegal to not to clean up after your dog, but that dosn't stop the lazy, irresponsilbe dog owners walking away and of course there are the dogs which are allowed to wander around free.
The hard part to avoid is if the meat or what is poisoned is thrown into the garden. You can't have the dogs on lead all day.

As Geri said, if I caught one I would probably end up in jail

Anders

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I believe that in the 4 years we have been here the number of poisonings has reduced but as the use of poisons in agriculture is common there is a constant risk. Little can guard against malicious, deliberate poisoning.

Our dog was poisoned while we were out and believe me you will know if your dog was from the horrible and obvious symptoms. Since that time we walk our dog with a muzzle which prevents him eating particularly when he is out of sight. This is a simple and effective precaution that works.

D & N vets do have a poison warning text system which I personally think is nothing more than an advert for them. To be told a poisoning has been reported in a particular area is of little value.

So if you are proactive with precautions like lead walking or muzzles you should have no problem.

As far as dog fouling is concerned you will have no problem either as, like all responsible people, you will carry bags to clear your dog's mess up. Therefore what the exact laws are is irrelevant.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts