Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

we're looking for a pet transfer company to take our cat from the UK to Perth Australia, we've had a few quotes and they're mega expensive. Has anyone found a reasonably priced company from when they shipped over or know of any ways etc of not paying a ton of money (apart from trying to sneak her on as hand luggage).

Thanks.

Karl

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
What have you been quoted. Don't even think about sneaking on hand luggage, Australian quarantine is very strict and probably fine you AND put the pet in quarantine for at least a month at your expense.

Hi,

we're looking for a pet transfer company to take our cat from the UK to Perth Australia, we've had a few quotes and they're mega expensive. Has anyone found a reasonably priced company from when they shipped over or know of any ways etc of not paying a ton of money (apart from trying to sneak her on as hand luggage).

Thanks.

Karl

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.

Karl
You really don't need to hire a company. It's not that difficult to do yourself. You just need to be organized. Doing it yourself will save you money. Luckily being from UK you don't have to worry about the additional rabies testing that we have to do here in the US.

Heres the info you need:

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/709207/category-2-information-package.pdf

Check with your vet too, they may have had experience with the requirements, and be able to advise you.

That all said, you will still have to pay for the flight and quarantine costs once you get there. Contact the airline of your choice for a quote, which will depend on the size of your cats crate that it will be traveling in. Also it depends on your definition of 'cheap', personally I would spend any amount to not have to leave my dogs back here in the US.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

thanks for the reply, I'm sure you knew but I was only kidding about sneaking her to the plane as hand luggage. When we piece it all together it comes to £1200. That's seems pretty pricey to me considering the size of a cat.

Thanks.

Karl

What have you been quoted. Don't even think about sneaking on hand luggage, Australian quarantine is very strict and probably fine you AND put the pet in quarantine for at least a month at your expense.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Had to make sure Karl, some people do try (and then I get to watch them on the Border Security TV program with the nice man putting on the rubber gloves).

Anyways, 1200 is what I've heard most of the time also (also have heard up to 2000 as well). Yeah it's pricey, but nearly everybody pays because for most people leaving behind a pet is the same as leaving behind a baby.

Hi,

thanks for the reply, I'm sure you knew but I was only kidding about sneaking her to the plane as hand luggage. When we piece it all together it comes to £1200. That's seems pretty pricey to me considering the size of a cat.

Thanks.

Karl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts