Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi we shall be going over to Perth on a 457 visa. I still don't understand the healthcare arrangements. I understand that I need to purchase healthcare however don't understand pescriprion side of things. Husband has 4 pescriptions monthly for blood pressure tablets. Will I use my healthcare to cover cost or do I pay pescription charge seperately. Is there a set charge per pescription.?

·
Registered
346 Posts
You don't pay prescription charges in Australia only GP visit costs. When visiting a GP you are authorized to request up to 5 repeats, meaning you don't need to visit GP for another 5 full medication cycles. Most GP cost anywhere between $50-120 depending on how fancy the clinic is. So search for a cheaper option around as these are not covered by health insurance.

Most health insurances cover non PBS prescriptions. (search Prescription benefits scheme for further info). Note that you probably will not be covered by PBS (max cost of $32 for medication). However your health insurance should be reimbursing you anywhere between 60-80% of your costs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.