Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are an Irish family of five. We have just got our Permanent Resident Visas (RRV) and are planning to move out in January 2010.:plane: We lived in Sydney 10 years ago, but now with children are thinking of moving to Perth as it is supposed to be more family orientated? Has anyone made the move with children and are loving it? If so, would there be a particular area you would suggest. We are lucky in that we don’t have to live near the City Centre as OH is self employed.

Friends have suggested Mandurah - anyone there? If so, is it lovely or to far removed from Perth City for good schools etc.

I'd appreciate any advice.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Perth or not

We are an Irish family of five. We have just got our Permanent Resident Visas (RRV) and are planning to move out in January 2010.:plane: We lived in Sydney 10 years ago, but now with children are thinking of moving to Perth as it is supposed to be more family orientated? Has anyone made the move with children and are loving it? If so, would there be a particular area you would suggest. We are lucky in that we don’t have to live near the City Centre as OH is self employed.

Friends have suggested Mandurah - anyone there? If so, is it lovely or to far removed from Perth City for good schools etc.

I'd appreciate any advice.:)
Hi Mumof3, we're in a very similar situation - Irish with 3 kids, lived in Sydney about 16 years ago and hoping to move to Perth early next year. Where are you from? W're looking at Woodvale/Kingston area as my brother will be living near this area and he recommended it for convenience/good area/good schools etc. Apparently it's important to look up good schools first before making a decision about area to live in! We have one that will be going to highschool and 2 for primary. I've been researching all expat sites for the past 2 months and by the sounds of things Perth seems to be a great place to go! Brother going back on Sunday after being home for 4 years. He previously lived there for 10 years so waiting for this opinion on work etc when he goes back before we make the move - keeping the fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mumof3, we're in a very similar situation - Irish with 3 kids, lived in Sydney about 16 years ago and hoping to move to Perth early next year. Where are you from? W're looking at Woodvale/Kingston area as my brother will be living near this area and he recommended it for convenience/good area/good schools etc. Apparently it's important to look up good schools first before making a decision about area to live in! We have one that will be going to highschool and 2 for primary. I've been researching all expat sites for the past 2 months and by the sounds of things Perth seems to be a great place to go! Brother going back on Sunday after being home for 4 years. He previously lived there for 10 years so waiting for this opinion on work etc when he goes back before we make the move - keeping the fingers crossed!!
Hi Macfamily,

It's difficult isn't it. My husband has an opportunity for work in Perth, thus we are going to Perth! I think, if I we had to look for work we would go back to Sydney. It's a bit like putting an old shoe on - familiar etc. However, looking at various web sites, youtube etc. it looks amazing, beaches, house prices seem reasonable compared to sydney etc. Just hope it's the right decision. We can't sell our house here - we live near Kildare town. But have been really lucky in renting it out - they are a family and seem interested to purchase it a few years down the road.

Have you any family here other than your brother - I have elderly parents and feel really disloyal leaving them in the lurch. They are in their 80's and not in the best of health. Tough decision by all accounts.

On talking to the only friends we have in Perth - a guy who is self employed too, he finds work no problem. Apparently Perth never really suffered from any recession. The building industry slightly, but other than that there is plenty of work, I believe. I won't be working at least not for the first year or two as want the kids to settle in. I will have one starting primary and the eldest who will be going into year 6 or something. He is in 5th here.

I was looking south of Perth as that's where our friends are. Don't know til we hit the ground!:ranger:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey there,
I agree it is really hard especially for you leaving elderly parents but you have to think about what's best for your own family as well and if this is the right thing for you - you have to try it! Sounds very brave, I haven't even told my own parents yet as we haven't made a final decision and didn't want to say anything until my brother leaves (tomorrow!) We are definitely making our decision as soon as he gets back to us (hopefully with positive feedback) albeit I do think that if you want to work you will get it. Thanks for your positive comments on the work front! When are you leaving? My second oldest is making his confirmation in Feb or March so we can't really go until after that (don't think I could live with the guilt as he's looking forward to it with his schoolmates!) We don't have any more family in Perth except for my brother-in-law's brother and his wife also live there. I would expect to have lots of visitors though - plenty of nieces and nephews coming of age now that may want to travel!! Good luck with your packing - you were so lucky to get a good family to rent your house - we will have to rent ours also and it's a worry trying to get someone that willl look after it properly (live in Donegal) but I guess that's all part of the big plan.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey there,
I agree it is really hard especially for you leaving elderly parents but you have to think about what's best for your own family as well and if this is the right thing for you - you have to try it! Sounds very brave, I haven't even told my own parents yet as we haven't made a final decision and didn't want to say anything until my brother leaves (tomorrow!) We are definitely making our decision as soon as he gets back to us (hopefully with positive feedback) albeit I do think that if you want to work you will get it. Thanks for your positive comments on the work front! When are you leaving? My second oldest is making his confirmation in Feb or March so we can't really go until after that (don't think I could live with the guilt as he's looking forward to it with his schoolmates!) We don't have any more family in Perth except for my brother-in-law's brother and his wife also live there. I would expect to have lots of visitors though - plenty of nieces and nephews coming of age now that may want to travel!! Good luck with your packing - you were so lucky to get a good family to rent your house - we will have to rent ours also and it's a worry trying to get someone that willl look after it properly (live in Donegal) but I guess that's all part of the big plan.....
Hi Macfamily

I have been busy yesterday emailing estate agents to get details on rental properties. We are thinking of moving to Port Kennedy or Secret Harbour initially. Then my eldest who will only have one year of primary left in Australia (would have finished this year and then another if we had stayed here), but their system is different, when he goes to High School we will make our final decision where to live. Hopefully after living there for oneyear, we will get a feel for the place. I was toying with the idea of Padbury/Duncraig. It's not too far from city and it's near Hillarys which is meant to be lovely. Or the other option is move down further south to a place called Mandurah. It looks lovely on the internet, like a seaside town which little cafes etc. I would love to live near everything as we live in the country at the moment (Co. Kildare).

Whatever decision you make, keep in touch - especially if decide to move, maybe we can hook up for a coffee or something - lament the 'good old times' in Ireland!!(Not)!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Macfamily

I have been busy yesterday emailing estate agents to get details on rental properties. We are thinking of moving to Port Kennedy or Secret Harbour initially. Then my eldest who will only have one year of primary left in Australia (would have finished this year and then another if we had stayed here), but their system is different, when he goes to High School we will make our final decision where to live. Hopefully after living there for oneyear, we will get a feel for the place. I was toying with the idea of Padbury/Duncraig. It's not too far from city and it's near Hillarys which is meant to be lovely. Or the other option is move down further south to a place called Mandurah. It looks lovely on the internet, like a seaside town which little cafes etc. I would love to live near everything as we live in the country at the moment (Co. Kildare).

Whatever decision you make, keep in touch - especially if decide to move, maybe we can hook up for a coffee or something - lament the 'good old times' in Ireland!!(Not)!:rolleyes:
Hi Mumof3
That sounds good to me. I've heard a lot of people on the expat sites talking about Mandurah and it does sound lovely. Of course you're right, hard to make a decision about where to live being so far away. My brother left on Sunday and he'll get to Perth by next Tueday (going via a wee holiday in Thailand - lucky ******!) so hopefully he'll get back to us very shortly after that with news and we'll be ready to finally decide. Its looking very likely that we will but I suppose just need to say that magic word "Yes we're going"! I'll certainly keep you up to date and you keep me up to date with you also, have you booked your flights yet? Good luck with the estate agents! Dee:juggle:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts