Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to this (my first post) but I would really value your opinion on the above 2 cities. My wife, 2 children and myself have our Visas and want to make the big trip in Easter of next year.
However, we cannot decide where so it would be interesting to find a bit more about the above cities to see which one fares best. This maybe a bit vague so I will give a bit of direction:

Pros and cons, regarding weather, property prices, jobs, things to do etc?

It is just that we hear a lot of information and some people say how isolated Perth is and how that its quiet outside of the CBD but other people say that Brisbane is nice but its either wet or dry, and you cant swim in the sea in the summer due to all the jellyfish!

Interested in your thoughts, bye for now

Tim

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
it depends on what kind of weather you like. Perth is as good as Brisbane, Some say its isolated and far from teh rest of the cities but in my opinion, how often do we travel to cities? Who has the time to go visit another city every now and then. We go on a vacation every 8 months and we always take flight (i am not in AU yet), weatherwise, brisbane is wet, humid.

As for work, it again depends on what your field of work is. I suggest going through the sites of both perth as well as Brisbane, check the average temperature for the entire year, alternatively go to the job portals and see which area has more jobs in your field. and lastly, do u have friends in either places, even one contact helps. check for communities at both places which might be of interest.

last but not hte least, search the forum for both brisbane and perth, there is a lot written in the past and would help you making up your mind.

Cheers
Anj

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first moved to Brisbane from Edinburgh, Scotland - I picked up my first Australian car and drove on the Kingsford Smith Drive toward Brisbane CBD. My first reaction about Brisbane is "wow, Brisbane do have crazy towering city centre skyline!". There is a tall and sleek black tower that dominates the skyline with older buildings dwarfed by the newer buildings - it is just amazing. I really love Brisbane skyline, it is much more urbanised and modern-ier.

When I moved in my new house at Red Hill with a breathtaking views of the city, I would catch bus into the CBD every day for my work. I would look around wondering how amazing the city is.

Brisbane have around 5 major inner city districts (culture, entertainment and nightlife). Southbank is famous for its incredible on-river beach called Streets Beach and its amazing riverfront precinct with many museums, art galleries and science centres plotted along the riverfront. Southbank is just perfect for families.

Fortitude Valley and Caxton is a nightlife heaven, you would find so many perfect taverns, restaurants, nightclubs and pubs plotted along two famous streets Brunswick Street and Caxton Street.

Gabba and Lang Park both are the sporting core of Brisbane, at Gabba you would find the mammoth cricket and AFL (combined) stadium right next to Woolongabba Busway Station. At Lang Park, you would find a huge 60,000 seater stadium cramming between inner city houses and buildings. The stadium at Lang Park is called Suncorp Stadium and it is primarly used for NRL (football) and soccer.

Speaking of public transport, I DO think Brisbane have the world class public transport system. Brisbane holds the Australia's largest busway network. Busway is something you would think but actually it is different from what you think - it is entirely seperated from roads. It is not even ON the road, it is like a train track generally. Busway is evelated and runs around the city with busway stations (JUST LIKE a train station basically!). There are three different busway lines - Northern Busway (connects from City to Kedron), South Eastern Busway (connects from City to Eight Mile Plains) and Eastern Busway (connects from University to eastern suburbs via South Eastern Busway).

Bus netwrok in Brisbane is SO extenstive. Sometimes during peak hour, you would wait at the major busway station - and DIFFERENT buses would come in every 20 seconds (especially at Cultural Centre Busway Station). Few popular bus routes would come in every 2 minutes on the busway.

Brisbane do also have extenstive train network. There are around 8, 9 or 10 train lines connecting each together into the city centre (Central Station and Roma Street Station). Brisbane have one of the most crazy public transport network in Australia.

Brisbane is OFTEN dubbed as "Australia's New World City". When you ever visit Brisbane, you will definately agree with me. I am ENTERNALLY grateful that I chose to live in Brisbane insteaed of Perth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I first moved to Brisbane from Edinburgh, Scotland - I picked up my first Australian car and drove on the Kingsford Smith Drive toward Brisbane CBD. My first reaction about Brisbane is "wow, Brisbane do have crazy towering city centre skyline!". There is a tall and sleek black tower that dominates the skyline with older buildings dwarfed by the newer buildings - it is just amazing. I really love Brisbane skyline, it is much more urbanised and modern-ier.

When I moved in my new house at Red Hill with a breathtaking views of the city, I would catch bus into the CBD every day for my work. I would look around wondering how amazing the city is.

Brisbane have around 5 major inner city districts (culture, entertainment and nightlife). Southbank is famous for its incredible on-river beach called Streets Beach and its amazing riverfront precinct with many museums, art galleries and science centres plotted along the riverfront. Southbank is just perfect for families.

Fortitude Valley and Caxton is a nightlife heaven, you would find so many perfect taverns, restaurants, nightclubs and pubs plotted along two famous streets Brunswick Street and Caxton Street.

Gabba and Lang Park both are the sporting core of Brisbane, at Gabba you would find the mammoth cricket and AFL (combined) stadium right next to Woolongabba Busway Station. At Lang Park, you would find a huge 60,000 seater stadium cramming between inner city houses and buildings. The stadium at Lang Park is called Suncorp Stadium and it is primarly used for NRL (football) and soccer.

Speaking of public transport, I DO think Brisbane have the world class public transport system. Brisbane holds the Australia's largest busway network. Busway is something you would think but actually it is different from what you think - it is entirely seperated from roads. It is not even ON the road, it is like a train track generally. Busway is evelated and runs around the city with busway stations (JUST LIKE a train station basically!). There are three different busway lines - Northern Busway (connects from City to Kedron), South Eastern Busway (connects from City to Eight Mile Plains) and Eastern Busway (connects from University to eastern suburbs via South Eastern Busway).

Bus netwrok in Brisbane is SO extenstive. Sometimes during peak hour, you would wait at the major busway station - and DIFFERENT buses would come in every 20 seconds (especially at Cultural Centre Busway Station). Few popular bus routes would come in every 2 minutes on the busway.

Brisbane do also have extenstive train network. There are around 8, 9 or 10 train lines connecting each together into the city centre (Central Station and Roma Street Station). Brisbane have one of the most crazy public transport network in Australia.

Brisbane is OFTEN dubbed as "Australia's New World City". When you ever visit Brisbane, you will definately agree with me. I am ENTERNALLY grateful that I chose to live in Brisbane insteaed of Perth.
Have you visited Perth then? Just that I am comparing them both too, I've been to Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide, live in Melbourne and I'm visting Perth in January to see what I think to it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.