Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to prove my father wrong he is so determined I can get Anne to U.S. on 90 day tourist visa then get married and get citizenship. All of you who have dealt on this crazy stressful venture please give me the EXACT requirements.

1.) Financials
2.) Insurance
3.) Residency
4.) Processing time
5.) Headache

Honestly is all of it worth it? I told my dad for instance IF I could get her tourist visa which is very possible there is no ways in Hades that I could marry her under those circumstances and get her citizenship... My Father swears up and down on it :eek:

I want all of your experience and maybe we can all get a good laugh on this fine Friday morning and why it was or was not worth the effort.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Visa Issues

Wanting to prove my father wrong he is so determined I can get Anne to U.S. on 90 day tourist visa then get married and get citizenship. All of you who have dealt on this crazy stressful venture please give me the EXACT requirements.

1.) Financials
2.) Insurance
3.) Residency
4.) Processing time
5.) Headache

Honestly is all of it worth it? I told my dad for instance IF I could get her tourist visa which is very possible there is no ways in Hades that I could marry her under those circumstances and get her citizenship... My Father swears up and down on it :eek:

I want all of your experience and maybe we can all get a good laugh on this fine Friday morning and why it was or was not worth the effort.
A tourist visa is almost impossible to get for a Filipina. Not even worth the hassle and headache in trying to get it.
Married immigrant visa works but takes a long time.
A "fiancee visa" is the best route to go. After you apply there it takes about (usually) 90 days until it is approved and she has the visa and can leave here to come to you.
US immigration looks at and has a minimum requirement of your income. Is best to visit with the Immigration office closest to you in the States for all the requirements but Fiancee Visa is the easiest to get -- but all are a headache.

For me, my preference was and still is to live here in the islands and not the states

Reactions: jdavis10

·
Registered
992 Posts

1.) Financials
2.) Insurance
3.) Residency
4.) Processing time
5.) Headache

Put it on him to prove it. You're out of there in 4 days anyway.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
A tourist visa is almost impossible to get for a Filipina. Not even worth the hassle and headache in trying to get it.
A "fiancee visa" is the best route to go. After you apply there it takes about (usually) 90 days until it is approved and she has the visa and can leave here to come to you.
US immigration looks at and has a minimum requirement of your income. Is best to visit with the Immigration office closest to you in the States for all the requirements but Fiancee Visa is the easiest to get -- but all are a headache.

For me, my preference was and still is to live here in the islands and not the states
Let me add here also----IF you were lucky enough to get her there on a tourist visa and marry her there; she still has to return to her (Philippines) home country and go through the married immigrant visa process like anyone else. There would be no advantage to it at all and the US has a stipulation in all visas that they (the US government) DOES NOT have to recognize and honor the marriage...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gene,

Like I said my friend I plan to stay in Philippines also just trying to get my father to stop gapping BS when he does not know the difficulty and stress to get things done. I am not sure I would even meet the income requirements nor do I own my own residence where I can prove where she will be staying or insurance for being her sponsor so its a dead argument and wish sometimes I could :fish: pounce him on the head so he will listen.

lol like I said guys we can all get a good laugh out of this just want all your experience

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
This is what happens fellas when I am home with the family for few months :eek: a bunch of arguments and hassle. 4 days and gone yes sir. :)

I am just trying to win one over on dad so he will put this argument to bed ;) lol
I was lucky years ago and had the backing of parents and family on the move here and the marriage.
All ya can do is the best you can on convincing family of your wishes and decision. In the end though - you must do what you feel is right and everyone else has to deal with it in their own way.

·
Registered
992 Posts

Gene's right...tried getting her mom to the states twice a couple years ago on a tourist visa...denied both times. We were successful 15 years ago but got it in Japan where it was more lax at the time I suppose...came thru LAX, pulled us aside and said we don't think she'll leave to go back and said they wanted to deport her. They finally let her in, not sure if an act or what.

An hr ago we just came in thru Detroit immigration, lines of people on Filipino passports....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For sure I believe over time they will accept it, but they cant fathom that I will be here with Anne parents to see my child when I have one, and they cant. So I understand but its not really their decision it is something that has to be done once per year.

I was lucky years ago and had the backing of parents and family on the move here and the marriage.
All ya can do is the best you can on convincing family of your wishes and decision. In the end though - you must do what you feel is right and everyone else has to deal with it in their own way.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You see what I mean? Lets say for instance she DID get to U.S. what happens if she gets there and the airport feels she wont return they can simply deport her no question asked. Without proof your chances are slim as ever. No sure if that stress is what I am willing to endure I got enough on my plate already. Gene is definitely right and ya its not hard to get denied and guess what your out of that fee you paid to file for it.

Gene's right...tried getting her mom to the states twice a couple years ago on a tourist visa...denied both times. We were successful 15 years ago but got it in Japan where it was more lax at the time I suppose...came thru LAX, pulled us aside and said we don't think she'll leave to go back and said they wanted to deport her. They finally let her in, not sure if an act or what.

An hr ago we just came in thru Detroit immigration, lines of people on Filipino passports....

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
You see what I mean? Lets say for instance she DID get to U.S. what happens if she gets there and the airport feels she wont return they can simply deport her no question asked. Without proof your chances are slim as ever. No sure if that stress is what I am willing to endure I got enough on my plate already. Gene is definitely right and ya its not hard to get denied and guess what your out of that fee you paid to file for it.
The hardest part of the visitors visa process is on the Philippines end. The PI government does not want to let their citizens out of the country that easily. The requirements are among others, that she has a very large amount in a (local) bank account that the Philippines govt freezes until she returns. Plus many more requirements as well. Problem is that even after all is said and done and requirements have been met, the visa request is still most often denied. It is a process filled with almost certain failure. Not worth the effort...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gene,

By chance do I need to get an ID I was gonna go by DMV tomorrow to get one if need be, but I would like to avoid it if I don't need. Does call centers and schools that teach English require an US ID? I don't recall ever having to use it only my Passport. Just making sure but im correct right ?

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
ID for personal use

Gene,

By chance do I need to get an ID I was gonna go by DMV tomorrow to get one if need be, but I would like to avoid it if I don't need. Does call centers and schools that teach English require an US ID? I don't recall ever having to use it only my Passport. Just making sure but im correct right ?
It is a very good idea as you don't want to carry your passport with you everywhere you go. Also makes getting local ID's easier here.
Don't know about call centers etc. Maybe depends on the employer. Don't forget about the need for a work permit though.
So in answer to your question, I would say not required but good idea to have it.

Gene

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Dont do it.........why would u want to? its better here. Most guys I know(and i know many)who took their wives to usa ended up regretting it. Only a select few lasted after they did it. I knew a guy(not too bright i might ad) flew his wife to usa from manila and brought her to party at my friends. Stood up sooo proud of himself at party to announce and show he had got her her own new visa card in his name........this girl was from mindanao ........i thought ur an idiot. He hardly spent anytime here and knew little of the culture............2 yrs later he is bankrupt and she is gone.....DUH!!!!!! Be VERY careful guys......if u are only a weekend warrior here spend a few yrs or more here before u make life changing decisions. The filipina can make you do most anything(especially bisaya) in my experience.

1.) Financials
2.) Insurance
3.) Residency
4.) Processing time
5.) Headache

Dont do it.........why would u want to? its better here. Most guys I know(and i know many)who took their wives to usa ended up regretting it. Only a select few lasted after they did it. I knew a guy(not too bright i might ad) flew his wife to usa from manila and brought her to party at my friends. Stood up sooo proud of himself at party to announce and show he had got her her own new visa card in his name........this girl was from mindanao ........i thought ur an idiot. He hardly spent anytime here and knew little of the culture............2 yrs later he is bankrupt and she is gone.....DUH!!!!!! Be VERY careful guys......if u are only a weekend warrior here spend a few yrs or more here before u make life changing decisions. The filipina can make you do most anything(especially bisaya) in my experience.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I think the part that the guy(s) spent hardy any time here before marriage and bringing them to the US really indicates that the end result is their own fault.
One needs to spend more time deciding on a marriage partner than they would picking a new car in a show-room. The vast majority of marriage between a Filipina and American (and I assume others as well) do last. In fact, over 90% of these marriages in the States are still alive and well after the 10 year mark. Far greater than the national average...
But I do have to agree---living here in the islands is much better.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is what happens fellas when I am home with the family for few months :eek: a bunch of arguments and hassle. 4 days and gone yes sir. :)

I am just trying to win one over on dad so he will put this argument to bed ;) lol
One of my wife's know it all uncles (OFW working for Disney Cruise Lines out of Miami at the time) tried to cause trouble by insisting in same thing. It took a conversation with an Aunt (married to American and living/working in US for SSA) to put an end to it!

·
Registered
405 Posts
The US Embassy looks very intently at your income, whether or not you own your own home, etc. You have to earn a minimum income of $25,000US a year and show proof of this. It takes a long time to go through the process, up to over a year. She has to not only pass a medical exam which costs about $400, she also has to endure an interview at the US Embassy in Manila. She has to have Barangay Clearance, N.B.I. Clearance, Postal Photo ID and a valid passport. She also has to go through an SFO Interview. Even of you were to marry here and then go for the Marriage Visa, she still has to go through all of the above. I went through this with my wife, even qualified for the minimum income requirements, spent almost $30,000US trying to get my wife to the US, but the US Embassy only looked at my pension and nothing else. They told my wife I don't earn enough for her to immigrate so I said I stay in the Philippines and am now, for 5 years, an ExPat.

Good luck.

Reactions: lefties43332

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hold on my friend... Lefties I am not going anywhere :D I am perfectly happy there in Philippines.. I posted this to prove my dad wrong he is so stuck in the mind he thinks it be easy to get anne over here. Obviously has not talked to U.S. or Filipino Immigration offices. It gets annoying having this discussion with mom and dad every time I come home. lol 3 more days and looks like I will be back HOME :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Overmyer,

Oh yea for sure I know what you mean. My family are very stubborn and don't like being told they are wrong. Once they open their mouths they assume they know everything

One of my wife's know it all uncles (OFW working for Disney Cruise Lines out of Miami at the time) tried to cause trouble by insisting in same thing. It took a conversation with an Aunt (married to American and living/working in US for SSA) to put an end to it!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jim,

Ya I earn roughly $14,000 per year no where near the minimum and don't have near $30,000 to cover the expense and that was 5 years ago its gotten stricter since then I bet. Anne has in her mind to go abroad but I done told her I doubt it will happen.

The US Embassy looks very intently at your income, whether or not you own your own home, etc. You have to earn a minimum income of $25,000US a year and show proof of this. It takes a long time to go through the process, up to over a year. She has to not only pass a medical exam which costs about $400, she also has to endure an interview at the US Embassy in Manila. She has to have Barangay Clearance, N.B.I. Clearance, Postal Photo ID and a valid passport. She also has to go through an SFO Interview. Even of you were to marry here and then go for the Marriage Visa, she still has to go through all of the above. I went through this with my wife, even qualified for the minimum income requirements, spent almost $30,000US trying to get my wife to the US, but the US Embassy only looked at my pension and nothing else. They told my wife I don't earn enough for her to immigrate so I said I stay in the Philippines and am now, for 5 years, an ExPat.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.