Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Im new to the forum and was hoping some local experts could help me out- Im planning to come to Dubai and spend some time there to see how I like it, so Im planning to rent an apartment and stay there for about 10 days, once every month or so, and do this for the first several months until the summer, and was wondering:

Do I need a residence permit or other government document in order to get the utilities and broadband internet connection registered in my name (essential based on my experience in other countries in order not to be dependant on land lords etc) in a property I rent?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ercan

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
As far as I am aware, you will need to produce a copy of your residence visa in order to get utilities connected to the property as well as getting TV, broadband and phone connections. I was asked for a copy of my residence visa in each instance. Even the landlord will ask you for a copy of your visa. It is sometimes possible to rent a property if you get a letter from your employer stating that they are processing your visa.

I'm not sure how this would work if you only have a visit visa.
Why would you want to spend a ridiculous amount of money on rent though if you are only going to be here for a few days at a time. It will probably be cheaper to just stay in a hotel or if you prefer the homely feel, then go for a serviced hotel apartment, which you will be able to rent on a short term basis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.