Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I exchanged our Colorado Driver's Licenses for French ones two or three months ago. My wife was looking at hers last night and noticed that they used her maiden name (her married name isn't on it anywhere). She mentioned this to a woman in her language class who had the same situation, and who said that this is normal. Is it in fact normal that women's maiden names are used on their drivers' licenses?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Yes it is In fact most married french women retain their maiden names(nom de jeune fille) as this is their "official" name If they want to use their married name they can but it is always referred to as nom d'usage Many european countries are the same

·
Administrator
50,835 Posts
What I was told - ages ago now - is that in France a woman's legal name is ALWAYS her given name (i.e. the name that appears on her birth certificate). She may, if she wishes to use her husband's family name, indicate that as her "nom d'usage" when filling out forms, etc.

Plus, I just found this on Service Public: https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2695 First sentence:
Seul le nom de famille (nom de naissance) figure sur le permis de conduire.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. We were both worried about one more bureaucratic knock-down drag-out. I wonder how this thing will work if she gets pulled over while visiting the US. The license and the passport won't match.

·
Administrator
50,835 Posts
If she gets pulled over in the US, I seriously doubt they'll bother looking at her passport. Have never had any problem in the US with my French license (or before that with my German one). And the only time I've ever had to show the license was when renting a car at the airport.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was told the same thing - my maiden name will always be my real name; but I can use my married name, if I want to. I noticed a lot of French women using both their maiden name and the family name or a combination of those.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts