Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Members,

I received my grant in April 2013 and validated my visa in Jul 2013 and now I have time till April 2018 to call Australia my home.

A little background about me,have 12+ years of work experience with top companies and clients with 4+ years ( and currently counting) in USA , 2 years in Germany and 1 year in UK. I have B.Tech and Master's degree from top schools of India and my US Green card was files in 2011 but it will take 3-4 more years to come through.

I am married and blessed with two kids aged 8 years & 8 months.By God's grace i have sufficient Financial assets available for me to support me and my family in Australia for some good amount of time in pursuit of better life

My Oz plan was primarily a backup plan if in case I am unable to continue in US due to XYZ reason but after being in Oz in July I fell in love with it and since then thinking continuously about permanent move.

My dilemma is whether I should leave one of the better paying job( can easily convert it to best paying job but holding it back due to Aussie move to avoid hassles currently) and wind up everything and start from scratch again in Australia given so many negative posts about job scenario in the recent past.

I would like to hear about what one should do in such a case and whether is it worth taking risk given Oz PR benefits and freedom to do things you want and not bogged down by visa category restriction and my primary area of concern will be availability of job.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My 2cents ,If given a choice to choose between US and Aus , my guess wouold be most of the people will choose US. It is better job wise, things are much cheaper , you basically get the best of every wordly thing that is available .

Having Aus PR is good as a backup plan , but I'd definitely recommend sticking to the well paid job you currently are in . In case you run out of option , you can always come to Australia.

Cheers.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Continue with the Current one, there's absolutely no point for you to leave every stable and better things in life out for Oz. However, if you really feel the pull, I would recommend you to arrange a well paid job in Australia first from either US or On&Off visit to Aus, with that kind of job profile, you probably have good chance of managing a Job in Australia from the US anyway.

Reactions: dhream

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sunlight11 said:
Continue with the Current one, there's absolutely no point for you to leave every stable and better things in life out for Oz. However, if you really feel the pull, I would recommend you to arrange a well paid job in Australia first from either US or On&Off visit to Aus, with that kind of job profile, you probably have good chance of managing a Job in Australia from the US anyway.
Thanks for the response.

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello ssrini,

I am also in exact same situation, I just validate my visa and came back to US. This is just my personal view that I find Australia more suitable for own business and US for Jobs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello ssrini,

I am also in exact same situation, I just validate my visa and came back to US. This is just my personal view that I find Australia more suitable for own business and US for Jobs.
Hi Tara,

Good to know someone in your own shoes...In fact you and me are living pretty close and who knows if we have seen each other on NJ transit trains to New york City.

I will drop a PM to discuss more with you on this possible on the phone-Ssrini

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Job Situation

Any different point of view for job scene in Australia?

Reason I am asking this as I am looking for peace of mind which is currently missing being on temp worker visa H1B which can lead me to trouble at any point of time till I get my green card most likely by end of 2016 on 2017.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any different point of view for job scene in Australia?

Reason I am asking this as I am looking for peace of mind which is currently missing being on temp worker visa H1B which can lead me to trouble at any point of time till I get my green card most likely by end of 2016 on 2017.
I am in similar situation. I have had H1Bs, student and other visas. Waiting for green card sucks. I don' think US has more or better things to offer than Australia in general. Of course, there are good things and bad but all the situations are unique for different people. However, I would recommend (in general context) PR is better than H1B. H1b is modern slavery. There will be issues like expensiveness and what not but you also have the high salary rate, medicare benefits, childcare benefits etc

Research all the positive and negative and make the decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bmpeter said:
I am in similar situation. I have had H1Bs, student and other visas. Waiting for green card sucks. I don' think US has more or better things to offer than Australia in general. Of course, there are good things and bad but all the situations are unique for different people. However, I would recommend (in general context) PR is better than H1B. H1b is modern slavery. There will be issues like expensiveness and what not but you also have the high salary rate, medicare benefits, childcare benefits etc

Research all the positive and negative and make the decision. Good luck.
Yes I am just weighing in pros and cons and given I make money in USD so pulling me back in terms of jobs present in US and green card will come some day or another.. May be 3 more years

Let me not leave certainty for hope with such job scene in OZ

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
648 Posts
it really matters what you want

I dont know where you are located in US but if you are in mid-US or somewhere cold and you would like to live near the sea you can choose ozzy

If you would like to live in a country with lower level of crime or a place where less amount of population again ozzy (Lets face it the bigger the population in a country the higher amount of sucky people)

If I were you, I would search for a job in US where it allows transfer to ozzy (because those kind of jobs actually pay better compared to jobs which you will find locally)

It is a hard choice but if you already have a good paying job i would stay there (by saying good paying job I mean according to average salaries because you can be employed by a big company but they can pay you way too less than what you deserve)

·
Registered
667 Posts
it really matters what you want

I dont know where you are located in US but if you are in mid-US or somewhere cold and you would like to live near the sea you can choose ozzy

If you would like to live in a country with lower level of crime or a place where less amount of population again ozzy (Lets face it the bigger the population in a country the higher amount of sucky people)

If I were you, I would search for a job in US where it allows transfer to ozzy (because those kind of jobs actually pay better compared to jobs which you will find locally)

It is a hard choice but if you already have a good paying job i would stay there (by saying good paying job I mean according to average salaries because you can be employed by a big company but they can pay you way too less than what you deserve)
I disagree with you.
Average Australian salary is $85-90k per annum, whereas average US salary is about $55-60k/a.
A senior software engineer pay in Australia is between $70-100k, not so much different than the average Australian salary. However a senior software engineer in the US is starting from $120-130k, well above the average salary.
Plus there is silicon valley in the US, if you're good you can always get a job there, however in Australia you can mostly work with consultants, where you don't have a stable job.

Australia fools immigrants by easy immigration laws, don't be fooled. There are lots of Australians wanting/going to USA for Software Engineering jobs. There aren't that many Americans coming to Australia for the same field.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts