Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a US citizen married to a Brit for many years. I had residency in the UK 1994-2000 through work (indefinite leave to remain). We have lived overseas (outside the US and UK) since then and my UK residency has expired. I own a house jointly with my spouse in the UK and pay UK taxes. I would like to reestablish residency in the UK. I think that I can do so at any time, perhaps at a cost, but with our current lifestyle I would probably be outside of the UK for 6 months each year. Is there is a requirement to be in the UK at least 9 months/yr immediately following reestablishing residency? What is the process? Can anyone advise? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,094 Posts
Since you have not lived in the UK for 13 years I believe your only option is going to be a spouse visa which means your spouse will have to meet the financial requirement.

Here is information on the options for meeting the financial requirement:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...DIs/chp8-annex/section-FM-1.7.pdf?view=Binary

Information on applying for a spouse visa:

UK Border Agency | Applying from outside the UK

It will take you 5 years and 2 visas before you are eligible for ILR.

However, a spouse visa is for those who intend to live in the UK with their UK partner. Lengthy absences may make it difficult to qualify for ILR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.