Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have been living in Spain with my family for the past two years. I have a highly qualified professional work permit and my work permit renewal application for another two years is underway.

I expect that in next 8-12 months my company may ask me to relocate to Lisbon on a Portugese work permit. My company will help with all the related procedures.

What I want to know is whether I will need to complete another 5 years in Portugal for permanent residency? Or are the first three years spent in spain taken into account i.e. only 2 more years of residence in Portugal will be required for permanent residency?

My company has many offices in Europe and I expect I will be moving around every 2/3 years. Renewing work permit every two years is a bit of pain.

Cheers,

·
Registered
597 Posts
According to this post "With the EU blue card you can move to another EU country after 18 months AND the residence time in your previous country will count towards attaining the 5 years residence requirement in your second country (or third etc). This means you don't have to stick it out for 5 years in 1 single country to be able to request the EU PR. There are 3 countries that do not partake in this directive however: UK, Denmark, and Ireland (IIRC)."

"PR" is his abbreviation for Permanent Residence.

Post author's link to the relevant EU regulations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks great-dane & dancebert for your answers.
Unfortunately I don´t have a EU Blue Card even though I qualify for it.
It seems most of the blue cards are issued by germany and rest of the countries only issue a handful.
Looks like I will have to complete my 5 years in Spain.

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts