Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would be concerned to apply based on the kids as should your ex get full custody I don't know what the situation would be, and divorces have a nasty habit of turning nasty. If you have a job, is it not possible to get your PR based on that or your period of staying in RSA?

LegalManwould be best to advise on this.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sure there will be some disagreements when it comes to sorting things out. If she got full custody I would be absolutely gutted. But I see your point.

I see there is Direct Residency.
'...applicable to foreigners who have been residing in South Africa on the basis of their work permits for a minimum period of five years...'
I've been here 6 years. Though this is based on those with a Work Permit. Its a technicality but I did my time on a Relative's Permit to get PR.

As you say I'm sure LegalMan will have some thoughts on this too...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Not sure what the questions is, but whoever has custody of whoever, if your son or daughter is South African, you are entitled to PR regardless.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Does that mean my best bet is to apply again for PR using the kids?
Is it possibly to change the PR conditions? - Ie to change the category from spousal to relatives without a full PR application?
Do you know if I can apply directly for PR without going via a temporary permit?
1. Yes, to adhere to the law.
2. No.
3. Yes, you may since your child/ren are SA citizens.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Yes, to adhere to the law.
2. No.
3. Yes, you may since your child/ren are SA citizens.
Ok cool.
Its a shame that i didn't apply for PR using the kids in the first place. I could have done that in 2007 rather than waiting for 5 years of marriage etc. Oh well. Too late now.

I suppose i'll still need all the police clearances, medicals and related docs even though I have already proven myself to be worthy of PR?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Likely, yes. This depends on how you approach Home Affairs. Best thing to do would be getting free advice on the best way forward then deciding to do it yourself or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Likely, yes. This depends on how you approach Home Affairs. Best thing to do would be getting free advice on the best way forward then deciding to do it yourself or not.
Ok. Thank you. I'll start looking into things in a bit more detail.
I have really appreciated your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i am a SA citizen but have not lived there for 10 years (I believe the immigration laws recently changed). My husband (Mauritian) and I plan to move to SA by the end of the year.
We will receive his TR permit next week (been married for 6 years), now we need to apply for his PR once in SA. I just want to know if anyone has gone through the process recently? Any trick questions in the interview? What exactly is the declaration of support? Can we do it ourselves or do we need an immigration agent? We also have a 6 month old baby born in Mauritius (should receive his SA birth certificate in the next 2-3 weeks and will apply for his SA pasport once in SA)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi
I'm waiting for my PR over 2 years now. How long it can actually take? It's very frustrating!
I applied for my PR in November 2012 and it only came out June 2015. Never say never it took me 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 waiting. I suggest you email the call centre for future reference if you would like to it up with Home Affairs management.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts