Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently got my PR also. DoHA SMS you to say it is finalised (can mean rejection or approval). You need to wait for a phone call from your case officer, if you don't get one go into DoHA after 5 days.
Thanks for your reply and starting a betting game on the number of days the DHA takes to get your documents ready!:clap2:

Now to the other part of the question - Assuming that the PR has been approved :fingerscrossed: what happens? Sorry for being sounding naive and vague and so on...just want to know the steps ahead.

Also what it implies in terms of work permit, job, driving licence, bak accounts, cell phone contracts etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for your reply and starting a betting game on the number of days the DHA takes to get your documents ready!:clap2:

Now to the other part of the question - Assuming that the PR has been approved :fingerscrossed: what happens? Sorry for being sounding naive and vague and so on...just want to know the steps ahead.

Also what it implies in terms of work permit, job, driving licence, bak accounts, cell phone contracts etc.

Within the laws of the country you have the rights as if your were a citizen (except holding an SA passport). You do not need a work permit to work. You can open a bank account, get a cell phone contract, get a mortgage etc. First thing will to apply for a SA Identity Doc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This probably means that you now have your PR certificate in hand. Have you already applied for your ID? Where did you do it and what is the process?

Thanks
You are right I have my PR document in hand. I have not applied for the ID yet. I am still awaiting HA to record on their system that I have accepted PR and collected my permit. The records are updated in Pretoria and I applied in Durban. Once it is on the record, I can then proceed with ID application. I phoned HA today on progress but they were unable to answer over the phone and will call me back (hopefully), if not I'll phone em again tomorrow. I let you know how i go.;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got it!

You are right I have my PR document in hand. I have not applied for the ID yet. I am still awaiting HA to record on their system that I have accepted PR and collected my permit. The records are updated in Pretoria and I applied in Durban. Once it is on the record, I can then proceed with ID application. I phoned HA today on progress but they were unable to answer over the phone and will call me back (hopefully), if not I'll phone em again tomorrow. I let you know how i go.;)
So I have got my PR document in hand today! I applied under exceptional skills category so my whole family got PR along with me. That was such a big relief! They said I could apply for ID right away as it is already in the system. Will have to find time to go to home affairs now. Well it also means that I am 2nd out of 20. Mine took exactly 5 working days. I think being in Pretoria helped. However, the certificate is dated the 10th April which means it was ready a week before I got the SMS saying it was finalised.

Just for the sake of other people anxiously waiting, here is my timeline.

I applied under exceptional skills - me and family
Application - 2 May 2012
Got SMS from home affairs with ref no. - 30 June 2012
SMS regarding finalization - 15th April 2013
Collection of document - 23rd April 2013

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
So I have got my PR document in hand today! I applied under exceptional skills category so my whole family got PR along with me. That was such a big relief! They said I could apply for ID right away as it is already in the system. Will have to find time to go to home affairs now. Well it also means that I am 2nd out of 20. Mine took exactly 5 working days. I think being in Pretoria helped. However, the certificate is dated the 10th April which means it was ready a week before I got the SMS saying it was finalised.

Just for the sake of other people anxiously waiting, here is my timeline.

I applied under exceptional skills - me and family
Application - 2 May 2012
Got SMS from home affairs with ref no. - 30 June 2012
SMS regarding finalization - 15th April 2013
Collection of document - 23rd April 2013

:)
Congrats...Enjoy...

it would be great if you prepare a guide on this complete process...other aspirants may get benefit from it...do this only when you have ample free time...:)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats...Enjoy...

it would be great if you prepare a guide on this complete process...other aspirants may get benefit from it...do this only when you have ample free time...:)
Hi all,

I wanted to share two experiences to illustrate how seemingly random (or the extent to which luck is a factor) in the timing of PR processing. I'm relieved and happy to say I received my PR certificate and applied for an ID on last week. My brother who applied before me hasn't received his PR yet. Here are the details:

1) Early May/2012 - applied for PR in JHB DHA (category - quota permit)
2) Mid Feb 2013-Mid March 2013- received 3 different calls (about 1-2 weeks apart) from DHA each asking for employer motivation letter which was submitted with original application. With each call I was instructed to e-mail an updated employer motivation letter to a different DHA employee and after each call I'd re-email the employer motivation letter. Received no acknowledgement from DHA.
3) 4/08/2013 - Notified that my outcome was finalized via sms
4) 4/10/2013 - PR certificate collected from JHB DHA office - applied for ID a week later.

My brother applied for PR in 08/2011 (exceptional skills). Received a call from DHA 2 weeks ago asking him to re-apply under quota category which he did a day later with docs submitted via e-mail. Still waiting for outcome.

While I was annoyed by the repeated requests for documents I must say all the DHA employees who called me were polite, courteous and patient with my questions. So hang in there if you applied for PR and are still waiting for an outcome.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Contact them every 2 months. You should get a notification or call anyway - they usually do quite a number of checks now before giving out PR.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have applied the same time as your brother BJ100. I only got a call about three weeks ago for some docs which i emailed to them but i am yet to receive the sms. The wait is so frustrating but I hope it is worth it.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
PR and ID document

Within the laws of the country you have the rights as if your were a citizen (except holding an SA passport). You do not need a work permit to work. You can open a bank account, get a cell phone contract, get a mortgage etc. First thing will to apply for a SA Identity Doc.
Corrections needed here:
You can do almost all of those things on a temporary permit or even without a permit. With PR you are not a citizen and cannot earn a passport, and do not have all the same rights as an SA citizen. For example, you may not vote.

The first thing to do is definitely right - go get your ID number and apply for your booklet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

Now I got my work permit...my mother is permanent residence here...according to home affairs website I am eligible to apply also for permanent residence? I am really confuse now with home affairs website...and when I go to home affairs they can't even answer me...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Just one point to bring up here:

I've just had a client who received her PR at Home Affairs. They are supposed to keep it for 6 months (sometimes longer), and because she didn't have her new passport yet, we waited. Now, after 3 months, she received her new passport, went in and they had already sent her PR back to Pretoria. Now we wait another 3 months...

The moral of the story: When your PR is ready, phone and make sure it has arrived at your branch, and then rush in and grab it.

*fuming*

·
Registered
1 Posts
Permanent residency

Hi Claire,

I have been waiting for permanent spousal residency since January 2012. I used an agent to assist in the process and I have no more info than you. I also have had to extend my temporary residency during this time and pay for that service as well.

I was assured by my agent that Home Affairs would finalise ALL permanent residencies by 31/03/13. I believe that an announcement was made stating that all applications were caught up to 31/12/11.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PR

Hi all friends

I am in South Africa from last 5 and half years, Dec 2007 to July 2013, I was on Intra company Transfer permit for first 2 years and then General work permit for next 3 and half years.

Am i eligible to apply for Permanent Residence ?

Pls share if you have any info on this

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I recently got my PR also. DoHA SMS you to say it is finalised (can mean rejection or approval). You need to wait for a phone call from your case officer, if you don't get one go into DoHA after 5 days.

could you please tell us what cell number used by the DHA to send out the information.

apparently, i am experiencing a scam, a syndicate using fake SMS to bait people's money.

they created very similar sms showing your application has been finalise. however, this information without any reference number.

·
Registered
37 Posts
could you please tell us what cell number used by the DHA to send out the information.

apparently, i am experiencing a scam, a syndicate using fake SMS to bait people's money.

they created very similar sms showing your application has been finalise. however, this information without any reference number.
Example:

Home Affairs:We acknowledge receipt of PR Application for X on 2013/08/20.Your Reference No:00050880000. More info:0800601190 OR Department of Home Affairs - HOME

The number may be different. Best thing to do is phone the toll free number and check. Hope it helps you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
sms from DHA

my real sms from DHA is including a reference no, but no applicant name.

the fake sms from the syndicate is something like: you application has been fanalised, please collect the outcome within five working days.

the fake one does not have a reference no. and the website is wrong.

yes, you are right, the cell numbers used by the DHA are varies. i asked the officers from DHA, they also don't ideas on what number could help to identify the SMSs.

my got 3 different numbers, seems not from DHA, +27 82007229288029
+27 82007229288027
+27 82007229288020

the only number matched with the DHA record is +27 82007055011

·
Registered
23 Posts
DHA sms number

Example:

Home Affairs:We acknowledge receipt of PR Application for X on 2013/08/20.Your Reference No:00050880000. More info:0800601190 OR

The number may be different. Best thing to do is phone the toll free number and check. Hope it helps you.

my real sms from DHA is including a reference no, but no applicant name.

the fake sms from the syndicate is something like: you application has been fanalised, please collect the outcome within five working days.

the fake one does not have a reference no. and the DHA spelling is wrong.

yes, you are right, the cell numbers used by the DHA are varies. i asked the officers from DHA, they also don't ideas on what number could help to identify the SMSs.

my got 3 different numbers, seems not from DHA, +27 82007229288029
+27 82007229288027
+27 82007229288020:frusty:

the only number matched with the DHA record is +27 82007055011

41 - 60 of 91 Posts