Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saartjie has a lot of valuable information, hope she sees this, as she knows the ropes by now!

:)
Hi, i really needed to study but the University need a study permit, but Im elegible for PR, will my application and waiting period allow me to study without the PR endorsement? Will HA officials write a letter to University regarding the PR application? please assist.
Many thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi, i really needed to study but the University need a study permit, but Im elegible for PR, will my application and waiting period allow me to study without the PR endorsement? Will HA officials write a letter to University regarding the PR application? please assist.
Many thanks
Mere eligibility for a permit does not entitle you to undertake work and study. In order to either work or study you must have a permit that allows you to do this. Until the permit is issued to you, you are not allowed to work or study (if you do not have another permit already that allows you to do this).

·
Registered
37 Posts
8 Months???

Hi all,
I have been told/heard about delays for pr applications now down to 8 months! Straight from 2 different persons on the Hotline & on the radio too...

Anyone else heard this?
Hi Folks,

I applied for my PR in May last year. No word yet and the 8 months are up! I checked to make sure HA had my application in November and was told it was received by Pretoria HO in July. I figure it is minimum 8 months from receipt @ HO. I got the sms receipt the same day I applied. So far I have no complaints.

My wife is a citizen, my children are citizens, i have a permanent job, been a saffa for 5 years in April. Hope my application is successful and I can get that all important ID!

Cheers H

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
We still see PR taking anywhere between 3 months and 18 months. ID books are also often a long wait. You have to do a monthly call to Home Affairs and start phoning more often around 9 months. We often have permit application that we re-submit due to them being "lost". Keep a copy of your application for this reason.

Anyone with any specific questions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am getting really stressed seeing all these time frames. I am so in a hurry to get this PR. While I am here though, I may as well ask the questions that I have just asked on another thread. I am presently collecting my documentation and filling out the form for perm res. I have however hit a snag due to some confusion. If my hubby is SA citizen does that make him 'party' to the application or not. I would have thought not since I am the one applying for the PR, but I am really not sure. Can someone assist me with an explanation for the term 'party' as I need to complete my form accurately. There is a part which requires spouse's parent's details if he is 'party' to the application. I need to also prepare for the interview, what sort of questions do they ask? Thank you guys for your help in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am getting really stressed seeing all these time frames. I am so in a hurry to get this PR. While I am here though, I may as well ask the questions that I have just asked on another thread. I am presently collecting my documentation and filling out the form for perm res. I have however hit a snag due to some confusion. If my hubby is SA citizen does that make him 'party' to the application or not. I would have thought not since I am the one applying for the PR, but I am really not sure. Can someone assist me with an explanation for the term 'party' as I need to complete my form accurately. There is a part which requires spouse's parent's details if he is 'party' to the application. I need to also prepare for the interview, what sort of questions do they ask? Thank you guys for your help in advance.
This all depends on which PR application you are doing. In my case I applied for work related reasons. DoHA asked me to write a motivation letter and there was no real interview - no weird questions regarding my sanity etc.

I guess the party to application is only when more than one family member is seeking PR in that the two applications are linked - for example a mother and child.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Permanent Residence

Please could you confirm on what basis you are applying for permanent residency? Are you applying under category 27 (g)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to add my experience....

Before Home Affairs changed their processing centres i used the Malmesbury Office. They were brilliant for TR applications and still are for birth certs etc.
Since then i have used the Paarl HA Office. They are generally quite good but the hold up and issues seem to always be in Pretoria.

I applied for PR (spousal) at the Paarl office in Aug-2011.

From Mar-2012 and at least once a month since i have been calling the HA on 0800 60 11 90. The basic feedback was that my application had been received in Pretoria in early Sep-2011.

After about 9 months (May-2012) and since then I have requested an escalation on my case. This probably means nothing but it makes me feel a bit better and it all gets added to my case number.

In late Feb-2013 i called and there was finally a change in my PR application status. It is now noted as being in the final stages for finalisation. From what i am told this means that it is finally on someones desk - rather than filed away somewhere. I had huge concerns that my application was lost but seeing a change in status is a huge boost.

The main reasons i get given for the delay is the Zimbabwean Dispensation project taking longer than expected, the Pretoria office move, their systems are offline and that there are so many applications.

I called again this week and there is no change. It's still on someones desk and there is no ball park figure as to how long that will take.
I'm hoping it won't take much longer as my Temp Relative's Permit is due to expire in July and i really can not be bothered sourcing all my police clearance certs and having x-rays done again.
Obviously I'm hoping that my permit gets approved. I would be gutted if it wasn't as Paarl HA loved my application and said all my docs were present and correct etc.

Also - In my travels I found this (replace dot with . as the url was blocked):
www dot bizcommunity dot com/Article/196/354/91245.html

Basically saying that HA only processed 1,283 PR permits last year (compared to 141,550 TR permits). So the daily average isn't very high - unless this figure is only for approved permits.

I would say the PR department is severely understaffed or their processes are deeply flawed.

In summary - 19+ months and still waiting. I wouldn't recommend that others with PR applications out there hold their breath....

·
Registered
65 Posts
In late Feb-2013 i called and there was finally a change in my PR application status. It is now noted as being in the final stages for finalisation. From what i am told this means that it is finally on someones desk - rather than filed away somewhere.
Thank you very much for sharing your story here.

Coming back to that quote above, were those their own words "final stages of application"? and did you ever got told that your application was assigned to a 'case officer'?

Thanks,
Julien

·
Registered
7 Posts

Coming back to that quote above, were those their own words "final stages of application"? and did you ever got told that your application was assigned to a 'case officer'?

Thanks,
Julien
I can't give you a direct quote. But they did say it was in the final stages where the application would be finalised. They may have used the term 'case officer' but i'm not 100%. I was just blown away by the fact that the status had changed.
I did ask what final stages meant. That is where they said it was now assigned to someone and on their 'desk'.
I'll be following up in early April and take better note of what they say. I can post that info for you.

·
Registered
561 Posts

Thanks,
Julien
No sign of yours then I take it? Still waiting for mine...

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Final stages actually means that they are now actually doing something with your application. A case office is the person handling your application (your case for getting a permit). Often for PR, this person will call you in case they need extra information, or make enquiries to ascertain your PR.

·
Registered
16 Posts
PR..what now?

Hi all,
I have been told/heard about delays for pr applications now down to 8 months! Straight from 2 different persons on the Hotline & on the radio too...

Anyone else heard this?
Hi
I applied from Pretoria in May 2012 and received SMS today mentioning that it has been finalised. What does this mean usually? Also does this mean that my work permit which is valid until later this year is superceded by the PR and therefore I don't have to renew it?

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi
I applied from Pretoria in May 2012 and received SMS today mentioning that it has been finalised. What does this mean usually? Also does this mean that my work permit which is valid until later this year is superceded by the PR and therefore I don't have to renew it?

Thanks
I recently got my PR also. DoHA SMS you to say it is finalised (can mean rejection or approval). You need to wait for a phone call from your case officer, if you don't get one go into DoHA after 5 days.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Well, 5 days is too short in my opinion. You will get to the counter eventually and then it hasn't arrived yet. It's better to check on the phone or if that is not possible, with someone who goes there often. Otherwise wait a month and then go - chances are higher it has arrived at your HA office by then.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, 5 days is too short in my opinion. You will get to the counter eventually and then it hasn't arrived yet. It's better to check on the phone or if that is not possible, with someone who goes there often. Otherwise wait a month and then go - chances are higher it has arrived at your HA office by then.
The SMS says you have to go in after 5 business days to the office of application.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Agreed. It always says 5 days but that is never the case. I usually wait 10 days before going, just to be on the safe side.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts