Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have applied for spousal permanent residency last July and am still awaiting my outcome. I have called numerous times and this week was informed there is a severe delay with permanent residence applications.

Is anyone else in the same situation and how long did it take to come through?

Thank you!
Claire

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hello

I have applied for spousal permanent residency last July and am still awaiting my outcome. I have called numerous times and this week was informed there is a severe delay with permanent residence applications.

Thank you!
Claire
Saartjie has a lot of valuable information, hope she sees this, as she knows the ropes by now!

:)

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hello

Thank you!
Claire
Hi there, the waiting time for all PR applications at the moment is up to 24 months. They have recently changed the rules and each PR has to be considered by the Director General before it can be granted. As such a back log is quickly building up. I would not worry that you have not had an answer yet. I applied for mine last year as well and I am still waiting.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi there, the waiting time for all PR applications at the moment is up to 24 months. They have recently changed the rules and each PR has to be considered by the Director General before it can be granted. As such a back log is quickly building up. I would not worry that you have not had an answer yet. I applied for mine last year as well and I am still waiting.
Do you have to hand over your passport when you apply? What if you need to travel outside of South Africa?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Do you have to hand over your passport when you apply? What if you need to travel outside of South Africa?
No they just take a certified copy. When your permit is ready you have to go to HA with your passport and they will then insert your permit whilst you are waiting. You can therefore travel as much as you like (provided you still have a valid permit to enter SA in your passport).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah thank you Saartjie. I wondered if this was the case when they told me 8 months was the time I should expect to wait and still nothing! They keep telling me to contact them every three weeks which I do but get told the same situation!!

Claire

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ah thank you Saartjie. I wondered if this was the case when they told me 8 months was the time I should expect to wait and still nothing! They keep telling me to contact them every three weeks which I do but get told the same situation!!

Claire
It's usually a waste of time to call as the information that they hold is normally not accurate. When the application is ready you will get your usual sms telling you that you can come and get the permit (usually 7 working days after receiving the sms). I would say, if you haven't heard anything after say a year and a half then you can start chasing but hopefully you would have heard something by then. You never know, I have heard of people getting their PR in less than 6 months but I have also heard of people who have waited over 2 years and who are still waiting. It's a lottery really and one needs to have a bit of luck for sure. Keep us posted if you get any news.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's usually a waste of time to call as the information that they hold is normally not accurate. When the application is ready you will get your usual sms telling you that you can come and get the permit (usually 7 working days after receiving the sms). I would say, if you haven't heard anything after say a year and a half then you can start chasing but hopefully you would have heard something by then. You never know, I have heard of people getting their PR in less than 6 months but I have also heard of people who have waited over 2 years and who are still waiting. It's a lottery really and one needs to have a bit of luck for sure. Keep us posted if you get any news.
hi

I was a lucky one that got mine in 6 months. just so you are forwarned. your permenant residence stamp is not very impressive. it is just like the stamp you get as a tourist. the important peice of paper is the certificate which you should guard with your life, you will need this for everything else you will do. even when you have your id book. just a little bit of advice for you as well as you are in country already. your pr certificate will give you a date by which you must enter. when you apply for your id book they will want to see your entry stamp. if you are changing passport please make sure you keep your old passport so you can show them your entry stamp. if i were you guys the day you collect your pr i would go straight and apply for ID.

·
Registered
561 Posts
hi

I was a lucky one that got mine in 6 months. just so you are forwarned. your permenant residence stamp is not very impressive. it is just like the stamp you get as a tourist. the important peice of paper is the certificate which you should guard with your life, you will need this for everything else you will do. even when you have your id book. just a little bit of advice for you as well as you are in country already. your pr certificate will give you a date by which you must enter. when you apply for your id book they will want to see your entry stamp. if you are changing passport please make sure you keep your old passport so you can show them your entry stamp. if i were you guys the day you collect your pr i would go straight and apply for ID.
Thanks Stevan, that's excellent advise. Wow, six months is really not bad, very impressive. Just out of curiosity, where and when did you apply?

I will be changing my passport when I go 'home' in July as it runs out in October this year. I will however keep my old passport mainly because my Spousal TR is in there but I will now also remember to keep it for my ID book application. Believe you me I will walk straight over to the ID counter once I get my PR and make my application there and then. I can't wait to get an ID book, it will make life so much easier.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Stevan, that's excellent advise. Wow, six months is really not bad, very impressive. Just out of curiosity, where and when did you apply?

I will be changing my passport when I go 'home' in July as it runs out in October this year. I will however keep my old passport mainly because my Spousal TR is in there but I will now also remember to keep it for my ID book application. Believe you me I will walk straight over to the ID counter once I get my PR and make my application there and then. I can't wait to get an ID book, it will make life so much easier.
It was about three years ago Barrack Street in Cape Town. our agents office was right next to it. It shouldnt make a diffrence but it would seem the cape town office seems to be the one to use if you can. they seem fast and effcient.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It was about three years ago Barrack Street in Cape Town. our agents office was right next to it. It shouldnt make a diffrence but it would seem the cape town office seems to be the one to use if you can. they seem fast and effcient.
I got my TR after only 2 months of waiting (which is so great!) and I applied there as well. But I think it was only good luck because people over there weren't really helpful... And of course I received a relative's permit instead of a spousal one which I asked for in the form.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's good to know. I applied for my PR in Cape Town on Barrack Street as I was told they are much much quicker there. Still, its been 6 months since I applied and I have not had anything back yet so we'll see. When I was there they were so helpful and I got my sms that my application had been received the very next day so no complaints yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi everyone

I just have my relatives permit after waiting for 12 months...now i will try to apply for a permanent resident permit in which i was having a doubt that it would take for a long time...and I do not want to wait much longer..cause I can't even work here...

has anyone of you tried to apply permanent residence in their own country...i am from the philippines by the way..i want to try if it will take lesser time to apply...

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Barrack Street office has moved to the Customs House on the Foreshore. Fast and efficient are words I would not use.

Personally, I would not bother to call HA for at least 12 months after you applied. When I got my British Passport renewed, it took 3 years to get a new permanent residence permit and then I found out quite by chance that it had been sitting in a filing cabinet at HA for 6 months but nobody had bothered to notify me!

You can travel with the letter from HA saying you have applied and are awiting your PR permit. I did it 3 times. Once the officer at the airport was a bit surly but she might have been looking for a handout. It is not unknown

·
Registered
561 Posts
The Barrack Street office has moved to the Customs House on the Foreshore. Fast and efficient are words I would not use.

Personally, I would not bother to call HA for at least 12 months after you applied. When I got my British Passport renewed, it took 3 years to get a new permanent residence permit and then I found out quite by chance that it had been sitting in a filing cabinet at HA for 6 months but nobody had bothered to notify me!

You can travel with the letter from HA saying you have applied and are awiting your PR permit. I did it 3 times. Once the officer at the airport was a bit surly but she might have been looking for a handout. It is not unknown
When did they move from Barrack Street? That is so disappointing to hear. I was there in November last year for PR app and I was really impressed with their service.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do not understand the home affairs here at all...my friend just started to work in one of the factories here in South africa...but the thing is we are both in relatives permit and both processing our Permanent residency...the Home affairs clearly say that i can reside here but cannot work...

She just told the company that her PR is in process does that give her a chance to work here??

·
Registered
561 Posts
I do not understand the home affairs here at all...my friend just started to work in one of the factories here in South africa...but the thing is we are both in relatives permit and both processing our Permanent residency...the Home affairs clearly say that i can reside here but cannot work...

She just told the company that her PR is in process does that give her a chance to work here??
No work permit no work unfortunately. Awaiting the outcome of any permit does not entitle you to work. It specifically states on the receipt you are given upon application to HA that you are not entitled to work until you have received your permit. So the fact that your friend has applied for PR does not entitle her to work.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi all,
I have been told/heard about delays for pr applications now down to 8 months! Straight from 2 different persons on the Hotline & on the radio too...

Anyone else heard this?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts