Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
trump should consider building artificial reefs which may prevent storm surge (flooding).
Storm surge is not as much of a problem past the coast and in the cities as rain is at this point. Houston has 17 feet of water over some roads, from rain, not storm surge and it's far from over. Hobby Airport is closed and Ben Taub Hospital is being evacuted. The storm has stalled and is sucking moisture from the Gulf dumping tons of rain on southeast Texas. Predictions are it will move back over the Gulf and make landfall again near Galveston.

This is no joking matter, people have lost their entire home and more will lose theirs, six have died so far, but you can joke about it and blame it on Trump if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is no joking matter, people have lost their entire home and more will lose theirs, six have died so far, but you can joke about it and blame it on Trump if it makes you feel better.
I made a comment - a criticism - not a joke. Nor did I place blame on trump.

I realized later that this storm is more a rain event than a surge event. My point was that the wall is a waste of money - money that could be better spent.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
That wall does not address any of the real problems in the U.S. Period. In a country with collapsing bridges, overaged dams and such matters as inadequate response capability for addressing disasters, the wall is the very least of the issues that need to be addressed by the leadership of the country....no matter who it may be.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I made a comment - a criticism - not a joke. Nor did I place blame on trump.

I realized later that this storm is more a rain event than a surge event. My point was that the wall is a waste of money - money that could be better spent.
No infrastructure whatsoever could prevent what is happening in Texas right now. The 911 system was overwhelmed, police were unable to respond to help people due to the lack of boats. Elderly couples have been in attics for 8 hours with the water rising awaiting rescue. The chief of police advised people not to go into attics unless they take an ax to chop their way out. Houston has 6 million people, a lot of them lack the funds to evacuate.

They don't know how many have died and won't know until the water subsides. Police are telling everyone to write their name and social security number on their forearm so they can be identified should they die. Millions of people will be displaced as their homes are ruined and will have to be totally restored. Businesses are gone.

My sister is in her eighties, she recently lost her husband of over 50 years. She evacuated but neighbors are pasting pictures on Facebook of the water rising destroying her home. The stress alone of seeing their life's work destroyed kills people at this point of their life. She is only one of millions whose life is being devastated right now.

You all hate Trump, I get it, but if you want to discuss the wall, discuss the wall. Politicizing this suffering of millions is not the way. No amount of money or structures could stop what is happening in Texas right now. You can't stop hurricanes or torrential rain. Politics has nothing to do with this natural disaster, criticisms won't stop the rain.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,054 Posts
Storm surge is not as much of a problem past the coast and in the cities as rain is at this point. Houston has 17 feet of water over some roads, from rain, not storm surge and it's far from over. Hobby Airport is closed and Ben Taub Hospital is being evacuted. The storm has stalled and is sucking moisture from the Gulf dumping tons of rain on southeast Texas. Predictions are it will move back over the Gulf and make landfall again near Galveston.

Apparently storm surge is compounding the problem by preventing or slowing drainage of the rainwater. It is unclear from reports I can find how far inland this effect is important. The situation has resulted from unusually warm water in the gulf providing lots of moisture into the storm. The absence of upper level winds has contributed although it is unclear to me if that is why the storm stopped moving and is sitting on top of Houston.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Apparently storm surge is compounding the problem by preventing or slowing drainage of the rainwater. It is unclear from reports I can find how far inland this effect is important. The situation has resulted from unusually warm water in the gulf providing lots of moisture into the storm. The absence of upper level winds has contributed although it is unclear to me if that is why the storm stopped moving and is sitting on top of Houston.
Houston is fifty feet above sea level and is mainly concrete with not a lot of natural ground or earth to soak up this amount of rain. This volume is unprecedented and it just keeps on dumping more. My daughter is live on Facebook now eighty miles east of Houston and thirty miles inland assisting in rescues. Water is up to the windows of the homes there and rising. Storm surge has little or no effect thirty miles inland which is where she is other than the bayous and rivers are overflowing, in that respect you are right but it is the constant rain that is compounding the problem.

They are evacuating people in boats, by they I mean the residents who live there and the good people of Louisiana who are bringing hundreds of boats in. People are losing their homes, barns and cars as you read this, more will lose their lives in the days to come. Cattle are being driven down the highway in herds to keep them from drowning like they did in Hurricane Ike. This is a major catastrophe and it is far from over as the worse is yet to come if the predictions are right

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Emergency services are overwhelmed as the water is so deep, this is a senior citizen home awaiting rescue by helicopter. Hard to believe they are this calm but people from Texas have been through this a lot.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Emergency services are overwhelmed as the water is so deep, this is a senior citizen home awaiting rescue by helicopter. Hard to believe they are this calm but people from Texas have been through this a lot.
Yes - that is not a pretty picture. It is interesting, to me, that they still have power - and that they would let people sit in water where obviously the electrical outlets are submerged....

We lived in South Florida for 25+ years and lived through some serious storms - some you have heard of and some (perhaps the worst) you never did. One storm took off a chunk of our roof (it was actually a tornado caused by a hurricane). Another storm left us with no power for 15+ days. Gas stations could not pump gas. Supermarkets had no perishable food. But that storm, in the long run had a positive outcome in that after that EVERY gas station and supermarket were required to install large generators.

I've watched a lot of the coverage of the storm over the weekend. They say that what is causing a lot of the flooding is that Houston has covered too much land with concrete and the water has nowhere to go. That is something that someone COULD have done something about - and better do something about now. They say that the army corp of engineers has to release water from 2 dams. That is because there has been recent building in the area above those dams and the water level is threatening THOSE houses. So they are going to release the water to the detriment to those people lower down from the dams.

It is nice to see Texans helping Texans. Perhaps the TV cameras etc only have a few places they can watch from and there really is a lot of things going on behind the scene - but I'm surprised that you don't see more national guard etc boats and trucks. It really does look like people in fishing skiffs helping out their neighbors. That and apparently 11 Coast Guard helicopters.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Breaking News : The national guard has just deployed 12,000 people to Houston. There is some politician on TV now saying that they couldn't be sent earlier because the highways were not passable...

·
Super Moderator
8,993 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Apparently Mexico has offered to help.

google "mexico offers help for harvey". Tons of stories.

“The Mexican government takes this opportunity to express its full solidarity with the people and government of the United States as a result of the damages caused by Hurricane Harvey in Texas, and expresses that it has offered to provide help and cooperation to the US government in order to deal with the impact of this natural disaster — as good neighbors should always do in trying times,” Mexico’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
Breaking News : The national guard has just deployed 12,000 people to Houston. There is some politician on TV now saying that they couldn't be sent earlier because the highways were not passable...
Once the Governor activates the National Guard, they deploy. First in helicopters, then boats, Hemmits and Humvees, they will find a way, they just don't wait for the water to go down. In March, more than 1300 Soldiers and Airmen with the Louisiana National Guard also responded to heavy flooding, rescuing more than 4,200 people and 354 pets and assembling emergency levee walls on river banks.

The March flooding was just the start for Louisiana Guard members. In August, more than 3,800 Soldiers and Airmen responded to a massive, "thousand year" flood from heavy rains in southern Louisiana. Guard members rescued more than 19,000 citizens and distributed more than 78,000 meals.

All branches of the government are responding and doing a good job in the worse of circumstances. Fire, EMS, local police, sheriffs, constables, the Department of Public Safety, the Coast Guard and many others. Private services like Acadian Ambulance service is running non stop over 500 ambulances to evacuate the elderly and handicapped. A huge convoy of HEB food and portable kitchen trucks is on site.

Again, no amount of infrastructure or drainage improvements can possibly make a difference with a storm of this magnitude. Now it is up to the heroes that are the people of this area to respond, professionals and citizens, pulling together.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I don't know where Zorro got the idea that Trump bashing was part of the subject. That's stretching it way too far.

The subject, as far as I am concerned, is directing federal funds to the prevention, if possible, and provision of the help needed when there is a natural disaster such as this, rather than anyone's even ever suggesting the waste of money on a multi-billion dollar project such as a wall between the U.S. and its neighbor. I'd be equally disgusted if a Democrat had suggested it.

I can't tell from the news if all the resources possible are being sent to those tragically impacted Texans. Does anyone know? The photos are heartbreaking.

Those posting "fake news" like the airport being flooded and other attempts to grab attention should either cool their heels in jail or pay fines directed toward real disaster relief. Putzes, one and all.

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
I don't know where Zorro got the idea that Trump bashing was part of the subject. That's stretching it way too far..
Perhaps from the original post, you know, the very first one that started this? Let me refresh your memory being as you don't scroll back.

"Perhaps rather than building his wall trump should consider building artificial reefs which may prevent storm surge (flooding)."

Or did you miss the opening of this thread?

·
Banned
1,411 Posts
The subject, as far as I am concerned, is directing federal funds to the prevention, if possible, and provision of the help needed when there is a natural disaster such as this, rather than anyone's even ever suggesting the waste of money on a multi-billion dollar project such as a wall between the U.S. and its neighbor. I'd be equally disgusted if a Democrat had suggested it.
Can you tell us what funding of what type of prevention could have circumvented this flood?

In your words, the "provision of help when needed" is and has already been implemented. No money is being held back, the president signed a disaster declaration on August 25th. This activates FEMA to respond with a wide range of federal assistance programs. FEMA assists in community recovery through a number of channels, including obligating monetary aid for both individual assistance and public assistance.

Individual assistance may include housing, crisis counseling, legal services, disaster case management, and unemployment assistance, among other services.

Public Assistance may include reimbursement to clear debris and rebuild roads, schools, libraries, and other public facilities.

The wall and this hurricane are not related in any way, monetarily or otherwise. Once a Federal disaster declaration is announced, federal funding is available. However he pays for the wall will not affect the help being sent to Texas right now.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Will this do?
"You all hate Trump, I get it, but if you want to discuss the wall, discuss the wall. Politicizing this suffering of millions is not the way. "

What misguided thinking leads you to believe I didn't read the thread? Flood or no flood, the priorities in the U.S. are upside down. But yes, that is another subject having nothing to do with this event.
Do you remember the utterly screwed up way Katrina was handled, by the way? Locking all those people up in the stadium, with the result being horrific chaos? Let's see how this one plays out.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Perhaps from the original post, you know, the very first one that started this? Let me refresh your memory being as you don't scroll back.

"Perhaps rather than building his wall trump should consider building artificial reefs which may prevent storm surge (flooding)."

Or did you miss the opening of this thread?
So - you see that as trump bashing ? I was merely offering a better (one of many) use of the money.

It is raining outside at the moment and I happened to watch the trump press conference (with the president of Finland) that just ended (most of it anyway). Perhaps you should look for the transcript. Even given all that is going on in Houston trump was all Wall, Wall, Wall - Mexico is going to pay for it - perhaps as a reimbursement... he disgusts me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.