Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

HELLO France Expats!!!

Ok, so I am planning on moving to France in 3 months on the E-2 visa. I have been doing as much research as possible in order to make my move a smooth one. I have read once or twice on blogs on the Internet that people with the e-2 visa arrive in France and are unable to find jobs because the employer has to pay 1000 euros to fill out a form to hire a immigrant and also the wait is up to 4 months for the form to come back?!?!?

MY QUESTION IS' who here has moved to France on the E-2 Visa???
what is your experience in obtaining a job??

why give us the visa and than make it impossible to obtain a job??

Please Help!!!

Crystal

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
Crystal, what do you mean by an "E-2" visa?

For most work visas, you need to have a job offer and employer sponsorship processed before you can apply for the visa in your home country.

You can look for a job in France while visiting on a regular Schengen visa (i.e. the 90 day visa they just stamp in your passport when you arrive), but if you manage to find a job with an employer willing and able to sponsor you for a long-stay, work visa, you then have to return home and wait for the employer sponsorship to come through. (This is what costs the employer and takes 4 months or so to happen.)

When the consulate receives the sponsorship paperwork they notify you and you can start the application process for a work visa.

Anyhow, this is the Toronto Consulate's visa website page: Visas: general information and procedure to apply for a visa - La France en Ontario et au Manitoba
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canadians under 30 are able to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (2E visa).

Now I have heard from someone over in France at this very moment with this visa. She told me that she found a job put the employer had to fill out some paperwork and pay 1000 euros...

this is why I am hoping someone else one this visa currently in France can tell me their experience with this visa...

Crystal

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
On a working holiday visa, I believe you have to go through a registration process when you first arrive in France to get the documents showing that you have the right to work. If you have those, there should be no problem with an employer hiring you - but the government has gotten pretty strict about hiring foreigners without papers, and the employer your friend hit may simply not know the drill.

We've had a few people in the forum who have been on on WHV, so perhaps they'll chime in here. I'm going to change the title on the thread to see if that helps attract a bit more attention.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Crystal,

I was on a WHV last year and my employers didn't have to pay this? So either the employer is pulling your their legs, or maybe the employer actually ended up sponsoring them to stay and work? Maybe the employers in particular had no idea about how to go about it?

No more documentation / permits need to take place once you're in France on a WHV. Theoretically... Really weird - I've never heard of this before? If you end up getting work in really remote areas where you hardly see foreigners, I'm sure people would have less of an idea of what to do - but I'm sure that in most cities / areas which are more populous / touristy, you wouldn't hear of anything like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jenx!!

Thank thank you for speaking up with your experience on this issue!! Having someone who has been through this before telling me there should be no problems has really put my mind at ease.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Jenx!!

Thank thank you for speaking up with your experience on this issue!! Having someone who has been through this before telling me there should be no problems has really put my mind at ease.

Cheers!!
Hi Crystal,

No worries. To be honest, it isn't always easy getting work on a WHV in France - there's the social security card issue (you need to apply for one when you first start working) and the fact that a lot of Frenchies just have no idea what to do with someone who isn't French, adminsitratively speaking. My recommendation is to apply to schools, or around resort areas or in cities at first - if you're planning on going to somewhere less populous and more "remote" it's going to be a whole different ball-game.

I don't want to discourage you at all - it's a beautiful country and the people are so wonderful and friendly, but be prepared and plan ahead! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am from the US. Are the visa requirements different than for Canada? Do you know if there is a market for teaching English in the south of France, say in St Jean-de-Luz region? Any suggestions how to go about exploring this? Your posts have been very helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that France has an exchange agreement with Canada, Australia and new Zealand. Which allows us to exchang 140000 young people a year. I have never looked into the American - French agreements but I have heard it is a bit harder for Americans to go to France without a skilled worker visa. This is just what I have heard again I have no idea...

Good luck!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I am from the US. Are the visa requirements different than for Canada? Do you know if there is a market for teaching English in the south of France, say in St Jean-de-Luz region? Any suggestions how to go about exploring this? Your posts have been very helpful.
Unfortunately there is no working holiday visa for US citizens - this is because France and the US do not have a reciprocal agreement (the only countries which are eligible are Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina and South Korea).

If you wanted to work in France you would first have to be offered a job by an employer who is capable and willing to sponsor you - you'd then have to apply for a working visa from the US. This isn't always an easy take if you consider all of the anglophones in France, especially UK citizens who don't require a visa to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you CrystalBo and Sarah. I have been perusing sites about teaching English abroad. Hard to know which ones are legit, but it does seem there are possibilities if I applied through an organisation, such as the Teaching Assistant Program through the French Embassy. It may not be in St Jean-de-Luz, but it could get me to France.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thank you CrystalBo and Sarah. I have been perusing sites about teaching English abroad. Hard to know which ones are legit, but it does seem there are possibilities if I applied through an organisation, such as the Teaching Assistant Program through the French Embassy. It may not be in St Jean-de-Luz, but it could get me to France.
Yes, the assistant program is the way to go. It's completely legit since it's organised by the French government. You will have little choice as to where you will be placed but as you said, it will get you to France.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh the woes of the WHV!!!

I'll try and keep it short, and I actually wanted to post this in my other thread for a bit of an update which I still might, but being and Australian on the WHV exchange program in Jura, let me drawback some curtains!! Overall, it seems a bit like the actual, official visa that takes a whole page in my passport is not enough to get your foot in the door of the "looking for work" band wagon over here. *sigh*

Firstly the information on the ambafrance.au website says;

"- Once employment in France is found, Working Holiday Visa holders must apply for a Temporary Work Permit (autorisation provisoire de travail) at the nearest French Labour Department (Direction Départementale du Travail, de l’Emploi et de la Formation professionnelle).

- A work permit shall be granted for the duration of the position. "

I would imagine THIS part at least, is quite the same for everyone on the WHV in France. No worries, seems straightforward enough.

Anyway, after arriving and looking for work, there are the problems with the social securitie number of which not many people know what to do with you without it, which then required 2 visits to the local prefecture and the nice lady there printed off some document, went through it with me and finally said that "no you dont need the social securitie number as you have your insurance". Ok cool.

So afte alot of knobbing around, we went back on the hunt. Attempted to register at 2 employment agencies, Manpower and Adeco.

Manpower said they have to ask permission to list me from the prefecture (standard procedure) and the response was NO, they cant.

Adeco, well the girl at the desk, took my stuff and said that was that, all done. I havent heard back from her though, so I am doubtfull if it "went through" and is in effect.

I visited Pole Emploi, explained my story to them (WHV, living here, good for work until Dec 2012, have insurance, been told dont need SS number) and she said go right on ahead and make an account on their computers available there for the public, which I did on the spot.

So. Now I have a Pole Emploi account, maybe one with Adeco and thats that.

This sounds simple enough, but the problem is getting conflicting information, and also those in the power giving conflicting information.

The overall feeling I have, and this could be because I am unlucky, or in a "regional" area (Jura) and the people simply havent had a stranger on WHV ask them for work, is that yeah, I've jumped through the hoops to get into this situation with my WHV etc, and now because the system seems to be so broken, I cant get a job!!!

ALOT of companies tend to use agencies and the like for staffing from my experience, but it seems that I need to find and make a contract DIRECTLY with an employer, which is nearly impossible.

Come to France on your WHV, but good luck getting a job! You just might need it!

(I really wanted to swear alot during typing this to emphasize it a little (lot) but...I refrained for the sake losing my mind)

Bon route!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh the woes of the WHV!!!

Anyway, after arriving and looking for work, there are the problems with the social securitie number of which not many people know what to do with you without it, which then required 2 visits to the local prefecture and the nice lady there printed off some document, went through it with me and finally said that "no you dont need the social securitie number as you have your insurance". Ok cool.
This EXACT issue really peeved me - as the Consulate in Sydney said that on a WHV I was not eligible for social security in France hence the need for comprehensive insurance etc, however upon starting work at a school, I was told I HAD to have it, and when I told them what the Consulate said, the response from the Rectorat in Grenoble (regional school department) was that it was illegal to work legitimately in France and NOT pay social security - so I was then paying around €250 a month out of my minimal monthly wage.

So this really irks me. I basically had a year of insurance for nothing! What's the story with this? For crying out loud, they really need to consolidate their rules and start talking to each other.

·
Administrator
49,164 Posts
Thank you, both of you for sharing your stories here. It's very much what I suspected. (And don't take any of this personally - France is well known for this kind of conflicting advice and information.)

One of the BIG problems is that none of this information about the WHV is known to most employers. (Kind of like most of the French spouses looking to get their foreign spouses into the country have NO idea how visas and immigration work.)

We have a small business here in France, and among the various newsletters and publications we get, I have never seen a word in print about how to hire a foreigner, much less anything about working holiday visa holders. (Admittedly, we're not in the market to hire anyone - we only sporadically manage to pay ourselves - but I do check for information on these sorts of issues for the forum here.)

Hunting around a bit on the Internet, I did manage to find this: L'embauche d'un étranger. but it doesn't seem to mention anything about the working holiday visa. My impression has always been that the WHV is intended to allow foreigners to work primarily in the tourist industry - on the ski slopes, bar work, restaurant work, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thank you, both of you for sharing your stories here. It's very much what I suspected. (And don't take any of this personally - France is well known for this kind of conflicting advice and information.)

One of the BIG problems is that none of this information about the WHV is known to most employers.
(Kind of like most of the French spouses looking to get their foreign spouses into the country have NO idea how visas and immigration work.)

We have a small business here in France, and among the various newsletters and publications we get, I have never seen a word in print about how to hire a foreigner, much less anything about working holiday visa holders. (Admittedly, we're not in the market to hire anyone - we only sporadically manage to pay ourselves - but I do check for information on these sorts of issues for the forum here.)

Hunting around a bit on the Internet, I did manage to find this: L'embauche d'un étranger. but it doesn't seem to mention anything about the working holiday visa. My impression has always been that the WHV is intended to allow foreigners to work primarily in the tourist industry - on the ski slopes, bar work, restaurant work, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

That sums up alot there Bev, fountain of knowledge you are!

I dont have alot of experience, but I think most of the problems of people on the WHV getting a "normal" job (if indeed its possible, im not sure yet) like a CDD or something OTHER than a "tourist" job is simply that the normal employer doesnt really know what to do, and the tourist industry employer has probably more experience with this situation, therefore, it appears "the norm" to work in that industry... Mmm...indeedy!

The best place I could advise people to start when you arrive with a WHV and have no prior friends etc to employ you or no idea where to start exactly, would be;

a) Pole Emploi - speaking from experience, the first step is create your online account with them. From my understanding, you then wait for them to send a letter with appointment dates you can choose to make the "full" profile/account.

b) employment agencies - Adeco, Manpower and the like. Standard procedure for them to take your CV, and a copy of other relevant documents such as VISA. Then they have to contact a prefecture for confirmation of your employment eligbility.

Myself, I have a TONNE of help and "pushing the boss at work" type help from friends and friends of friends. Invaluable and I think I would have lost hope by now if they didn't keep me going, my girlfriend (French) being my primary supporter!

·
Registered
39 Posts
And knocked back again.

Tried to sign up with "Randstad", an employment agency, yesterday and they took my details and said, as per usual, they will ask the prefecture if they can.

A big fat NO was the response.

Now this is really effing insane and I'm about ready to pack up my stuff, forfeit my once in a lifetime WHV for France, well whats left of it (9 months out of 12) and go back to Oz.

I dont know if the response is "no he cant work in France" or "no you cant help him".

Either or, its complete and utter BS.

Why give someone a damn visa to work here in the first place if you cant even use a bloody employment agency??

What a crock. Feels like they check if you have some money (requirement of $3500 AUD in your bank account to even apply for a visa) so that when you arrive, you can spend that (quickly mind you when MOVING HERE FOR A YEAR AND SETTING UP HOUSE....) and then because they make it soooooooooo difficult to find work, you head home, broke, sad and disappointed..

Mind you, they did get several thousand dollars pumped into the economy...

Daylight robbery.

(yes, call me sour but i dont care. unless you have tried this yourself, you have no idea what problems we face here on the WHV!)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Oh yeah, and I tried to call the Australian Embassy in Paris, and after you make the appropriate selections, the recording says in essence "call the French Consulate in Sydney" and then hangs up.

So tonight I will call them and ask wth is happening here!?

No doubt they will tell me this is all standard procedure. I will be VERY surprised if they say otherwise.

So IF this is the case, WHY DO THEY NOT EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE BEFORE THEY COMMENCE this rather large endevour;

1. You wont be able to use employment agencies. You will have to find an employer directly and they will have to make a contract with you.

2. Half the employers (varies depending on location I'm sure) wont know HOW to even employ you.

3. IF you manage to find an employer who DOESNT use an "interim" (employment agency) to hire people, and they ARE prepared to make the contract directly, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW you CANT start work until you have "permission" from the "Department du Travail", which could take 3 weeks to recieve after you submit your contract offer from the employer. "No sorry Monseiur, I cant start work on Monday, is 3.5 weeks ok with you?". Yeah. You can imagine how well THAT will go down with them.

4. You will BARELY get a bank account to deposit these mythical wages into, and when you DO get one, your ATM card is only good for THAT BANKS ATMS and NOT for eftpos or any other ATMS. Sticky point for me was proving my address. Now, it was sorted for me as my lovely girlfriend found a house and did the paperwork. BUT, I'm thinking that to get a house, you need a bank account, and to get a bank account you need a house...

5. Have fun trying to get internet put on at your house! I'm fairly certain the only reason I could get a ADSL, let alone a decent mobile sim plan, is because my girlfriend is French and its all in her name. God, I shudder to think about electricity in your name or a house phone...! (Girlfriend had that sorted before I arrived)

6. ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Oh yeah, and I tried to call the Australian Embassy in Paris, and after you make the appropriate selections, the recording says in essence "call the French Consulate in Sydney" and then hangs up.

So tonight I will call them and ask wth is happening here!?

No doubt they will tell me this is all standard procedure. I will be VERY surprised if they say otherwise.

So IF this is the case, WHY DO THEY NOT EXPLAIN TO PEOPLE BEFORE THEY COMMENCE this rather large endevour;

1. You wont be able to use employment agencies. You will have to find an employer directly and they will have to make a contract with you.

2. Half the employers (varies depending on location I'm sure) wont know HOW to even employ you.

3. IF you manage to find an employer who DOESNT use an "interim" (employment agency) to hire people, and they ARE prepared to make the contract directly, MAKE SURE THEY KNOW you CANT start work until you have "permission" from the "Department du Travail", which could take 3 weeks to recieve after you submit your contract offer from the employer. "No sorry Monseiur, I cant start work on Monday, is 3.5 weeks ok with you?". Yeah. You can imagine how well THAT will go down with them.

4. You will BARELY get a bank account to deposit these mythical wages into, and when you DO get one, your ATM card is only good for THAT BANKS ATMS and NOT for eftpos or any other ATMS. Sticky point for me was proving my address. Now, it was sorted for me as my lovely girlfriend found a house and did the paperwork. BUT, I'm thinking that to get a house, you need a bank account, and to get a bank account you need a house...

5. Have fun trying to get internet put on at your house! I'm fairly certain the only reason I could get a ADSL, let alone a decent mobile sim plan, is because my girlfriend is French and its all in her name. God, I shudder to think about electricity in your name or a house phone...! (Girlfriend had that sorted before I arrived)

6. ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY!
Hi Harry,

Before I start, let me just say GOOD LUCK with getting through to the French Consulate in Sydney on the phone. They don't accept phone calls and direct you to the website (which tells you ******-all... so helpful, they are!). Already tried. Failed. They're about as useless as mammary glands on a bull...

1. You're right there - employment agencies here had no idea what to do with me either. And I'm only one hour from Chamonix. Evidently, one hour too far. I'm just lucky I got a job with a school and the Grenoble rectorat knew what to do with me.

2. True.

3. This must be new (as it wasn't needed for me last year) and I think it's really irresponsible of the French Consulate not to inform Australians of this - it's a big red flag for a lot of employers. I only found info about this on the Montréal Consulate website?! Ridiculous. I would write a sharp email to the French consulate in Sydney if I were you.

4. What bank are you with? My carte bancaire works just fine anywhere. I'm with CIC and you can get a debit card with them with a WHV and you just need to provide an address and your visa (presumably with your girlfriend).

5. Thank god for native help. Seriously, my now husband got so much done for me...

6. Fo sho.

Seriously, though, DON'T GIVE UP! It's really worth sticking it out, as infuriatingly annoying as the system is and as frustrated as you are at the moment. Where you're living doesn't see many foreigners, so that would explain the ridiculous time you're going through. Literally take your CV around to bars and cafés and tell them you're available for work - don't bother with Interim agencies. I went through a whole heap on my WHV last year and I got some stupid woman looking at my CV and saying "huh, she doesn't even know Word, Excel or Outlook" and I responded "Um, do you think we work on typewriters in Australia or something? I have six years experience in advertising, of course I know Word, Excel and Outlook." with a big smile on my face. Still heard from NONE of the agencies for work opportunities (and I went to eight of them).

I just signed up with Pôle Emploi myself today, and you need a sécu number BEFORE you sign up with them and you can't move forward in your application before you have one (it's a mandatory field!).

For all those considering coming on a WHV, I can't stress it enough (even though I've said it before) = move to a resort area or a city, or somewhere where you'll find a decent amount of foreigners. At least then you'll have more a chance of finding something.

My recommendation, if I had my time again, would be to come as an assistant... you come with a job (well paid for the minimal hours you do), social security will be set up for you, and in many cases you're provided a residence. You can't go wrong...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts