Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

We're an English couple in our early thirties who moved to Meran / Merano this summer. If there are any other expats in this part of the world who fancy meeting up at some point, please get in touch! It would be nice to speak some English once in a while, and learn from other people's experiences in this wonderful, utterly bizarre corner of Europe.

Stephanie & Robert

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hello all,

We're an English couple in our early thirties who moved to Meran / Merano this summer. If there are any other expats in this part of the world who fancy meeting up at some point, please get in touch! It would be nice to speak some English once in a while, and learn from other people's experiences in this wonderful, utterly bizarre corner of Europe.

Stephanie & Robert
Hi Guys,

I couldnt be any further away from you as I am down in Sicily but all I can really say is Welcome to the mad house!! Hopefully some more northern expats will be in touch soon with you!

Kenzo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

Stephanie & Robert
Hi there,

Myself and my partner are are moving to Meran from the UK at the end of January and would love to get some tips!

Many Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi there,

Myself and my partner are are moving to Meran from the UK at the end of January and would love to get some tips!

Many Thanks,
Sam
Hey Sam,

You need to be a little more specific with regards to "Tips" a good tip is always hard boil your eggs to avoid food poisoning....

Some basic tips:
Learn the language, or at least make an effort, people will appreciate this.
Always pay a little more and do things legally at the start (and accept that even doing things legally will still leave you open to being ripped off!)
If someone says they will be with you in 10 minutes, allow half an hour to an hour before you actually see them.
If somebody says ok vediamo (ok we'll see) accept it probably won't happen.

Hope this is a start

Kenzo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi both,

We have now moved over to Meran from the UK! Have you found much of an expat community in South Tyrol? Would be nice to have some english conversation!

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hi both,

We have now moved over to Meran from the UK! Have you found much of an expat community in South Tyrol? Would be nice to have some english conversation!

Thanks,
Sam
Hey,

Glad to hear you have made it over. How have you found it so far?

If you need any help let us know!

Kenzo

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Stephanie & Robert,
I am an Egyptian who moved to Bolzano last September, currently pursuing a master's degree at University of Bolzano.
It would be nice to meet up and have a proper conversation in English. I am currently residing in Bolzano city center. Let me know if you guys are still up for a meeting.
Cheers
Mohamed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking of returning!

Hello all,

Stephanie & Robert
Hi Stephanie & Robert,

I've lived in Dorf Tirol (you can see it from Merano) during a couple of months at the end of 2017 at my partners house (agriturismo Gasthof). Due to personal circomstances, I had to return to The Netherlands, but I hope to move back in the near future.
Would absolutely LOVE to meet up with English speaking people!
I'm on Facebook under Joanna Ligorio and if you wonder where I'm from, the short answer is Europe :lol:

Ciao,
Joanna

·
Registered
8 Posts
American Expat in South Tyrol

Hi Stephanie & Robert,
I am an American expat, mid-30s, married to an Italian and living a few hours away from you on the other side of South Tyrol. I stumbled upon your post and would be excited to meet some fellow English speakers at some point! I wanted to send you a private message but I don't think you have enough posts yet to read it...would prefer private messaging. Looking forward to hearing from you if you are still checking this forum :)
Cheers,
Katie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone up for a coffee/aperitivo in Merano?

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and noticed the thread hasn’t been active for over a year- but if anyone is still in the area, I’d love to meet up.

I’m from New York and moved to Merano nearly a year ago. I’ve been getting settled pretty well but haven’t met any expats, so it would be great to hang out!

Cheers!
Megan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone up for a coffee/aperitivo in Merano?

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum and noticed the thread hasn’t been active for over a year- but if anyone is still in the area, I’d love to meet up.

I’m from New York and moved to Merano nearly a year ago. I’ve been getting settled pretty well but haven’t met any expats, so it would be great to hang out!

Cheers!
Megan
Hello Megan,

From DC in USA, now an expat in Italy. We have decided (Inshallah!) to move to Merano to check-out the city and look at apartments for rent and will be in Merano around August 25. If you are free, would love to meet you for coffee/drinks. Will let you know when our plans are finalized. Ciao!
Sara

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ciao Sara,

Yes, I will be in Merano around August 25, so let’s definitely meet up if you have a chance.

Tanti saluti,
Megan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello to everyone on this thread,

I am an expat from the US in my early thirties. My girlfriend and I have been living in Bolzano for the past 1.5 years and although I have picked up a little german (her native language) it is hardly conversation worthy. It would be a lot of fun to meet more english speakers in the area.

Cheers,
Tristan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, if you are still planning to go for a drink in Merano this weekend, i would love to join! I am a future expat moving to Merano around January 2020. I am Dutch. My girlfriend lives in Merano and is able to join too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cannot make this weekend work but if anyone wants to setup a time for next week it would be fun to meet.
Hi Everyone,

Should we plan on meeting for drinks this Saturday, August 31 in Merano? Any suggestions on time and place?

I set up a Meetup group to make communicating easier. It's the Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol Expat Meetup Group. I'll post the get-together once we have details settled.

Megan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi again, I’ve messaged with a few people and we decided getting an aperitivo in Merano on Saturday at 11.00 would be a nice way to meet everyone.

Based on how many people come and any suggestions on a good place for a group to meet, we can figure out the exact spot later in the week.

Anyway, I’ve posted the event in the meetup group I mentioned. I hope everyone can make it.

Megan

1 - 20 of 38 Posts