Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone had recent experience of receiving their UK pension lump sum whilst resident in France?

Just wondered how much it was taxed, as advice is very vague. The latest I have heard is that it is considered capital? and so is taxed differently to income?

Would be useful to know if it will be taxed at 7%, 15% or 35%

I am 58 and will not get an S1 as I understand it no longer exists for early retired.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi, has anyone had recent experience of receiving their UK pension lump sum whilst resident in France?

Just wondered how much it was taxed, as advice is very vague. The latest I have heard is that it is considered capital? and so is taxed differently to income?

Would be useful to know if it will be taxed at 7%, 15% or 35%

I am 58 and will not get an S1 as I understand it no longer exists for early retired.

Thanks
I take it that you are talking about either employment or private pensions. There is no lump sum with state pension!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get your lump sum whilst taxed in UK !!!!
Likewise if you have any investments like bonds, shares, off shore investments etc. you need
professional tax advice. Once in France you are taxed of course on world wide assets and any capital gains (that may be free in UK under allowances etc) are probably not in France, what is more France can tax growth (ie capital gains) from previous years on some investments...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! Would still be useful to know how much tax I would pay on my lump sum so I can work out the loss of money that way with the loss of money by taking my pension early.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts