Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. Here's a Teaser,

I am in my Mid fifties, Is it possible to buy a pension here, Say with AXA or whoever, to pay into now, so that it would top up the pension I would receive should my husband die . We receive a state pension from the U.K., a company pension and a very small pension from Aviva,

All the pensions will halve if something happens to him. He has no insurance, "does not believe in it. " is there anything I can do to boost a half pension. I stopped working at 32 when we emigrated to Cyprus, so foolishly I never paid married womens stamps.

Jan :eek:

·
Administrator
51,922 Posts
You can always take a life insurance contract (assurance vie). They structure those things here as investments, and as long as you hold it for at least 8 years before you start taking money out, there are significant tax advantages to be had on withdrawals.

Talk to your French bank or whoever you get your homeowners and/or auto insurance from. They have these spiffy little programs to figure out how much you have to invest over the 8 years that the contract has to run to yield a certain amount in payout after you retire.

I went through the whole presentation with both our insurance agent and my bank. Learned loads of stuff - and then decided to keep my retirement money in the US. But it's definitely worth a chat with an insurer or two.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks Bev,
I will do just that, I hope my Husband lives at least as long as his Dad, (94) but I have to be prepared for the worst.
Jan
Hi,
The proceeds of a french life assurance plan can usually be taken , if desired, as an annuity ("rente viagere"), or, in lump sums as needed; best to compare for best tax treatment when the time comes

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hi,
It is also possible as the OP's first post asked to purchase an annuity" ("rente viagere") with a lump sum from one of the major insurance companies . Look on financial and insurance co websites for details .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guaranteed lifetime income from a pension ensures stable cash flow across all years of retirement. Granted, there are challenges to a fixed income stream that decrease the power of that cash flow, but the overriding benefit is stability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.