Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the expat in Penang and those soon to be... I am moving back to Penang early next year. I am Malaysian and my husband is from California. We bought a house in Penang for our retirement.
I am wondering is there any expat clubs ( like in Singapore, they have American club, British club, and so on), or is there any expat gathering for sports , coffee, travel, etc.?
I understand that the expat community in Penang is not as large as in Sinagpore, so there might not be any that I mentioned above.
Anyway, is there anobody out there interested in forming a Penang expat group?;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Synthia!!! We bought a house behind Island Plaza. The new E&O developement. Hopefully we able to move in early next year.
Anyway, where do you live?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I'm just staying here in a guest house in Chinatown. Usually I travel a lot, but this year I decided to stay put in a couple of places, one of them Penang. I was just in Island Plaza yesterday, in fact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One step closer...

Hiya all, just returned from Penang. Made a big step closer to our dream of retiring in Penang. We bought a place there! Very pleased and happy with our purchase. Bought in the fast-growing Queensbay area, right on the water's edge. Million dollar views and heaps easier to get into town than from Ferringhi imho.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Congratulations Ninja! That is a big step.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks K. We're just going through all the conveyancing bits now, but will hopefully start to furnish the place before March.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Congratulations! I'm not sure how I would do living that close to Queens Bay Mall, though. Too tempting. But avoiding that long trip inot town from Batu Feringhi would be really appealing. Did you buy a house or a condo?

·
Registered
10 Posts
We bought a condo, the Putra Marine. Picked up one of the last 3 units available there. Must be fate since we traipsed around a lot of places in 2-3 days of house-hunting before finding this one. Felt right immediately.
I like the potential for vibrancy in an area versus dead-calm, if you know what I mean. For dead-calm, I can always return for a spell to Australia.
With the stuff going on in the Queensbay area, I like what's going to unfold there within the next 2-3 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to all,

My husband has been posted to work in Penang end of this month. We are currently based in Shanghai. I'm also looking for fellow expats to spend time with.

Any tips with regards to living in Penang?

·
Registered
265 Posts
You'll find a lot of them here engaged in one sort of club/group or another. Have fun and enjoy Penang!
Hi,
My wife & I have also moved to Penang in the last few months. I am English but my wife was born in Georgetown. AND we have also bought a condo in Putra Marine, we are on the 6th floor=3A. Come up/down and see us some time. Robert & Mei Lee Northcott
(e-mail removed by moderator)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Another expat in Putra Marine.

Hi,
I have just replied to Ninja, we have also recently moved to Penang on the MM2H programme, and we also bought a condo in Putra Marine. I am English but my wife was born in Georgetown, we have spent the last 24 years living in Southern Spain.

·
Registered
265 Posts
A walk on a Sunday morning.

Hi everybody in Penang, Whilst my wife goes to Church on Sunday morning I usually walk around the Botanical Gardens followed by a coffee on Gurney Drive., anybody like to join me?. I start from the front entrance 9am. wearing a Tilley hat. Regards Robert

·
Registered
1 Posts
How far a drive is George Town from Batu Ferringhi? I commute 52 miles to work, so perhaps far to you doesn't seem so far to me. I would like to be no further out than 45 minutes.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 224 Posts