Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

i would appreciate any help i receive as I am in a bit of a dilemma here.

I am trying to rent an apartment whose owner is in Pakistan and the contract papers would go to him in Pakistan to receive his signatures. The problem is that as he doesn't have a bank account here, the property agent has told me that he will mention in the contract that the money will be received by his relative in Dubai. I would basically be writing cheques on his relatives name and this name will be mentioned in the contract.

So Can anyone tell me if this process is ok? and No, no one has a power of attorney here.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
Simple answer - no - find another apartment.
If the owner doesn't get the money from his relative - then they will get you kicked out.
Anybody that owns and rents out a property in Dubai either needs to maintain a bank account here or pay to setup a proper power of attorney (it's not that difficult).
Sounds fishy to me!
Remember - the agent might tell you anything to get the commission from you!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Simple answer - no - find another apartment.
If the owner doesn't get the money from his relative - then they will get you kicked out.
Anybody that owns and rents out a property in Dubai either needs to maintain a bank account here or pay to setup a proper power of attorney (it's not that difficult).
Sounds fishy to me!
Remember - the agent might tell you anything to get the commission from you!
Cheers
Steve
But dont you in that case its a criminal matter between the landlord and his relative and it shouldn't concern us?

The problem is Ive paid a non refundable booking fees of 1000 DHS :(

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
But dont you in that case its a criminal matter between the landlord and his relative and it shouldn't concern us?

The problem is Ive paid a non refundable booking fees of 1000 DHS :(
My original answer is accurate - ignore at your peril

There is no booking fees for apartment rentals - simply the agents commission on signing of the contract.

The booking fee cannot be non-refundable if the agent is unable to let you pay the landlord or their power of attorney directly!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Give the landlords agents, the cheques made out to the landlord.

Its then the agents problem in how to cash them.

If he says he cannot cash them, then ask for the deposit back as Steve suggest.

If the agent gives you any problems, get their RERA registration number and tell them you are going to RERA as they are refusing to hand back your deposit because they are refusing finalise the lease per the law.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Plenty of apartments everywhere, why would you get yourself stuck with a landlord in pakistan who is lying about his bank account.

What happens if you need repairs ? I would run away even if I'd lose those 1000 dhs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Plenty of apartments everywhere, why would you get yourself stuck with a landlord in pakistan who is lying about his bank account.

What happens if you need repairs ? I would run away even if I'd lose those 1000 dhs.
this is a good point: it took me months before to get the apartment fixed, too many maintenance works, and the owner is a local living in Sharjah... I would not put myself in the hands of someone who is not living here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts