·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

As a parent of 3 year old twins, I have to say I am shocked at the level of care for young children in Oz.
My kids attend pre-school 2 hours and a half each day, in their school there are groups of 5 kids for each grown up and they follow the national curriculum for their age group.

5 babies for each carer is not acceptable. That means if one leaves to change a nappy, they'll have 9 babies for one carer.
It means they spend all their time in stricktly caring tasks (nappies, food, etc) and close to none working in developing the children.

And no training????:eek:
Are they joking??????
What about checks on everygrown up?:eek:

I will be visiting day cares on arrival, BUT will consider keeping them at home (as horrible as it will be moneywise) not to leave them in a place where I don't feel confortable.

Can someone please find the Bristish early years curriculum and practice standards and e-mail it to those guys?? This is our children's lives!!!!:mmph:

Cheers, :eek:
Busyte

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Dolly,

this sounds insane. good thing i dont hv kids but what if i do by the time i am in AU :p.. need to save faster now

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree, I have been looking into preschools for my 3 year old after moving to Vic from NSW (but UK) last year and was shocked to find all the local ones offer 1 3hr session a week for three year olds, which goes up to 2 3hr sessions a week for four year olds???? I am amazed any child can be ready for primary school at that rate. So we are paying for a private preschool, which goes against what I had planned, but it is their education we are talking about.

Really gets to me when I hear about my friends in the UK with 15hrs paid for preschool and of course the lovely childcare tax vouchers.

Rant over!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gosh It seems that France actually have got something right.

Day care nurseries are hard to come by and childminders are a small fortune so there is the option of the kids to go into the primary schools (a nursery section) if they are dry so as young as two and half and can stay there all day for the 4 days week with a nap in the afternoon for FREE.

This is one thing that worries me when we finially get to Oz as i have twins now 3 yrs and another of child of 7 yrs. My husband and I will have to work full time in make ends meet it seems as the cost of living is expensive compared to france and It also looks like we may not be entilted to any child benefits on a temporary visa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts