Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I had moved to France as part of my work on Dec 2014 and have been receiving salary in France. I am currently applying for my social security number though it is a bit delayed since I need to get a new birth certificate from India and also get it translated in french. I hope to submit my documents in a couple of weeks time.

As per my work contract , I will be returning to India by end of September 2015.

I have couple of questions ,

1. How long will it take to get the social security number ? Is it mandatory to apply for it since I am returning by end of September ? Will I be able to reimburse the huge social contributions I am making every month when I return ?

2. I learned that Income tax declarations are to be done during the month of May for the previous year. Since I arrived only on Dec 2014, Do I need to declare the tax for last year i.e 2014?

3. Since I will not be here in France next year to pay the taxes for 2015 , How can I pay the income tax for the current year Jan 2015 to Sept 2015 before returning ?

Thanks in advance for your advise on this

Rgds,
Sreenath

·
Administrator
51,318 Posts
1. How long will it take to get the social security number ? Is it mandatory to apply for it since I am returning by end of September ? Will I be able to reimburse the huge social contributions I am making every month when I return ?
Good question. But your employer has to deduct social security contributions, assuming that you are legally here in France - unless the employer can arrange an exemption based on your being a temporary transfer. I'm not sure, but that may also require an agreement between your home country and France. But you could always ask.

However, if they are withholding cotisations (social security), no, you won't get it back when you leave. Though you may get a one-time payout at retirement age which functions sort of as a "refund" on the retirement portion.

2. I learned that Income tax declarations are to be done during the month of May for the previous year. Since I arrived only on Dec 2014, Do I need to declare the tax for last year i.e 2014?
If you only arrived in December, I wouldn't bother - unless you want the avis d'imposition for something like a break on your taxe d'habitation. (Again, check with your employer if they are paying your housing costs. They may want you to qualify for whatever break they can get.)

3. Since I will not be here in France next year to pay the taxes for 2015 , How can I pay the income tax for the current year Jan 2015 to Sept 2015 before returning ?
Most likely you can't. However all the necessary forms can be downloaded online from the Fisc website.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
If you declare your December income now (you will need to go into your local tax office to do this, as first declarations have to be done on paper and the due date for paper returns was 19 May), you won't actually have to pay tax. However, this will give you the option to declare online for the period you are here during 2015, and of course you can do that from your home country. The benefit of you doing this is that it will make you completely legal here and you won't have any issues should you return in the future. BTW I understand that France and other countries are tightening up on this and they will all be pursuing those who leave the country and haven't submitted a tax declaration and/or haven't paid taxes due) and also that the various countries will cooperating to facilitate this.

If you do make a declaration for 2014, be sure to let the tax office know when you leave and your new address so that your avis d'impots can be forwarded to you (you will need it for your numero fiscal, without which you can't declare online).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts