Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted on another thread that I was taken aback to learn that neither PSOE, Podemos or IU in our town could present detailed costings for the good things they promised in their electoral programmes.
I've just been looking at the promises made by Ahora Madrid which include 'restructuring of municipal debt', paying for electricity for those 'who can't afford it' and stopping evictions from properties mortgaged to banks.
There seems to be scant detail as to how this will be paid for.
I'm intrigued as to how Aytos can actually 'stop' banks evicting mortgage defaulters once a court has given the go-ahead. I suppose they could threaten to stop doing business with them....but what if every bank the Ayto has accounts and loans with is participating in evictions? Then what? Also, what if there is a bank which could be blocked but which could offer loans on favourable terms for worthwhile projects....such as building social housing?
Then handing out free electricity is all well and good but how do you decide who is in genuine need? Isn't there an issue of 'moral hazard' here?
Taking a long hard look at the state of the municipal finances is a good idea for any incoming administration. But it's a bit risky deciding what is 'good' and what 'bad' debt. A lot depends on the lenders - who are they? The state? In which case the taxpayers of Spain lose out.
With interest rates being low there may be little justification in renegotiating or extending recent loans.
I'm not sure what sources of income are available to towns and cities apart from property taxes and loans from provincial and regional government and would be interested in learning more.
But looking at the promises made by all Parties there does seem to be an element of cloud-cuckoo-land about it all. I read somewhere that the PP creates wealth without redistribution and the others redistribute without creating wealth, a comment that seems rather apt.
That and the fact that so many politicians of all Parties don't really seem to be top-drawer material.
Rajoy seems more like a provincial bank manager than a Prime Minister.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In all fairness I should say that the PP in our town has set out plans as to how the new theatre, orchidarium and botanical park, fair ground ,improved local bus services and the general tidying up of the town are to be paid for or have been paid for.
The number of visitors to the town and hotel occupancy has increased quite sharply in the past three years. Receipts from property taxes have increased, grants received from the Diputacion and loans refinanced at more favourable interest rates.
Just as in Lynn's town, no-one with eyes to see could doubt that our town has been very well managed by the PP since they booted out PSOE in 2011. PSOE administrations were plagued with inefficiency and corruption with the PSOE Mayor being taken out of the Town Hall in handcuffs.
Having working fountains and well-kept flower beds and greenery everywhere gives a feel=good factor as well as attracting visitors. Estepona is the only town where the PP increased its vote and has a majority of 17 to the opposition 8 (6PSOE, 1Podemos, 1 IU)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts