Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Can anyone advise if it's worth to pay a visit to NZ and look for a job to speed up my SMC processing , I'm an IT Professional with long experience , I work as Project Manager with heavy technical skills and also ITIL. I have contacted some recruitment companies and they comment that my skills are required in NZ but they can't help me if I don't have a working rights in NZ , is being in NZ help as I will be available for interviews or it's not worth the effort and cost and better wait till my SMC outcome is released? As per INZ they will assign a CO to my case in the period from July to September 2015 -London office , so any suggestions?

one more question, what caused an application to be declined if we exclude health and character issues?

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
Yes it is worth it to pay NZ a visit. To be here in person approaching employers and being available for meetings, discussions and even interviews with them BUT, how what visa do you intend to get that will allow you to do that ?
A visitor visa I'd assume...be careful as looking for work isn't the intended actions of a visitor or tourist. You wouldn't be a genuine visitor!
You will have way more chance getting a job if you are here even though you may not yet have a visa that will allow you to work in NZ. Once an employer understands that you need a job offer to make the visa process quicker they may be more forthcoming and with a job offer you always have the option of applying for an Essential Skills Work Visa in the meantime to allow you to come and work in NZ quickly. The resident visa can just tick away in the background.

Other than the issues stated, visa applications are only declined because Immigration aren't satisfied that the evidence you provide or part of the evidence you provide satisfactorily allows you to claim the points you have claimed on the EOI - e.g in relation to relationship proof, qualifications, skills and experience.

Reactions: MaroToNZ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes , I am intending to apply for a visit visa to truly visit the country and also take an English course focusing on formal writing as this is essential part in my work so my visit have 3 purposes:
1- Visit new Zealand as a tourist
2- Learn English and get a better idea about the society
3- look for a job

I intend to stay 4-6 weeks that is why I was making sure my visit will cover all the points

thx a lot escapedonz for ur reply

another questions what caused INZ to request an interview with the principal/partner or that is mandatory process to all applicants?

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
Yes , I am intending to apply for a visit visa to truly visit the country and also take an English course focusing on formal writing as this is essential part in my work so my visit have 3 purposes:
1- Visit new Zealand as a tourist
2- Learn English and get a better idea about the society
3- look for a job

I intend to stay 4-6 weeks that is why I was making sure my visit will cover all the points

thx a lot escapedonz for ur reply

another questions what caused INZ to request an interview with the principal/partner or that is mandatory process to all applicants?
That's great, but best not to inform Immigration that you intend to look for work whilst here as a visitor as it isn't strictly allowed, meaning it isn't written down in black and white as the normal day to day things a visitor would do. It could be found as bending the rules too far ?
Plenty people do use the visitor visa for this purpose but you do so at your own risk.

It is mandatory for INZ to carry out interviews for all persons who are applying to live in the country but do not have a job offer. Unlikely they will interview a visitor but random checks are carried out so if your intentions are different to the conditions of your visa it's a risk if you cannot answer their questions!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's great, but best not to inform Immigration that you intend to look for work whilst here as a visitor as it isn't strictly allowed, meaning it isn't written down in black and white as the normal day to day things a visitor would do. It could be found as bending the rules too far ?
Plenty people do use the visitor visa for this purpose but you do so at your own risk.

It is mandatory for INZ to carry out interviews for all persons who are applying to live in the country but do not have a job offer. Unlikely they will interview a visitor but random checks are carried out so if your intentions are different to the conditions of your visa it's a risk if you cannot answer their questions!

Well , I really want to visit NZ and enjoy the beautiful scenery in the country. So as this is my true intentions I'm not worry about answering the questions wrongly and by the way if i ever have the chance to live in NZ i would like to live in Wellington but as a tourist what is your recommendation? I plan to visit Auckland for few days and then take the panorama train to wellington , is there a city i should visit other than this 2 cities? what about the weather in august ? is it too cold?

Finally , thanks a lot escapedtonz you are really of a great support to all of us

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
Well , I really want to visit NZ and enjoy the beautiful scenery in the country. So as this is my true intentions I'm not worry about answering the questions wrongly and by the way if i ever have the chance to live in NZ i would like to live in Wellington but as a tourist what is your recommendation? I plan to visit Auckland for few days and then take the panorama train to wellington , is there a city i should visit other than this 2 cities? what about the weather in august ? is it too cold?

Finally , thanks a lot escapedtonz you are really of a great support to all of us
Why would you like to live in wellington?
As a tourist I'd recommend you visiting Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Nelson and Christchurch for the city fixes.
Other than that it's really difficult to say as there's just so much to see. Northland is beautiful. The Coromandel, Mt. Maunganui, the east cape, Hawkes Bay, Tongariro, West Coast SI, Franz Josef Glacier, Dunedin and Queenstown. Marlborough Sounds, get into Fiordland. The list really is endless but unless you have heaps of cash and 4 - 8 weeks vacation you'll have to cut the list.
Where you go depends on your reasons for coming. If you intend to use some of the time to find a job there's no point wasting it looking around places where you wouldn't live or couldn't find a job. You can see those when you are living here.

I wouldn't take the train from auckland to wellington. It's very expensive and takes 12 hours and if I'm not mistaken it's an overnight service so you wouldn't see much. In all honesty the scenery in central North Island isn't that spectacular. Lake Taupo, Lake Waikaremoana and Tongariro National Park is lovely scenery but that's about it. It's majority the many coastline views and places that make the North Island beautiful which is not where the train travels.
The South Island is the place for train journeys with fantastic scenery as it hugs the east coast from Picton down to Christchurch and there a service from Christchurch over Arthurs Pass to the West Coast. There's also a nice train journey from Dunedin.

August is the last month of winter and the height of the ski/snow season so yes it'll be cold.
Auckland should still be mild but it will be a mixed bag weather wise with rain, wind, cold and humid....4 seasons in one day. The further South you go the colder it'll get. From central South Island down to the bottom has the potential to just be a blanket of snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Escapedtonz ,
Wow , that is really a long list of places to visit , the thing is that I will be attending an English course during my stay so, I will have a max of 10 days dedicated only to my tiny tour , and you destroyed my dream about the train  , do u know how many times I dreamed about that trip? I thought it will be a 12 hours of green beautiful scenery but, and it's not an overnight trip. Last time I checked it was from 6 am till 6 pm Auckland to Wellington. Anyway, really thx for the tip, you saved my 1200 $. My husband didn't like the idea and always wanted to fly to wellington. I guess I will have to filter ur long list and set priorities on the places I want to visit most but according to your words, staying in Auckland at this time of the year will be better than wellington because of the cold weather although to be honest I miss the cold as we are currently based in Qatar and when temp is 40 then u have a lucky day :). Is there snow in wellington? I have never seen any snow in my life maybe it will be my chance .
Why I want to live in Wellington? it's the capital and most of the governmental entity resides there and the chances to find a job in IT field without the expensive accommodation and the crowed of Auckland but this is not a final decision anyway as my husband is a veterinarian who work in sheep cattle farms and so far we don't know exactly where this farms located in NZ , we just waiting for INZ to decide when they will do with us before we decide our final destination.

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
Hi Escapedtonz ,
Wow , that is really a long list of places to visit , the thing is that I will be attending an English course during my stay so, I will have a max of 10 days dedicated only to my tiny tour , and you destroyed my dream about the train  , do u know how many times I dreamed about that trip? I thought it will be a 12 hours of green beautiful scenery but, and it's not an overnight trip. Last time I checked it was from 6 am till 6 pm Auckland to Wellington. Anyway, really thx for the tip, you saved my 1200 $. My husband didn't like the idea and always wanted to fly to wellington. I guess I will have to filter ur long list and set priorities on the places I want to visit most but according to your words, staying in Auckland at this time of the year will be better than wellington because of the cold weather although to be honest I miss the cold as we are currently based in Qatar and when temp is 40 then u have a lucky day :). Is there snow in wellington? I have never seen any snow in my life maybe it will be my chance .
Why I want to live in Wellington? it's the capital and most of the governmental entity resides there and the chances to find a job in IT field without the expensive accommodation and the crowed of Auckland but this is not a final decision anyway as my husband is a veterinarian who work in sheep cattle farms and so far we don't know exactly where this farms located in NZ , we just waiting for INZ to decide when they will do with us before we decide our final destination.
Yeah sorry about that, but for a tourist there are so many things to see and places to go you need a month on each island to be sure of a full experience.
Fine if the train runs during the day. In August it won't be light till around 7am and it'll go dark before you arrive in wellington so you won't be able to see 12hr of scenery. In all honesty once you've seen rolling fields and hills, sheep, cows for 20 mins it just gets same old same old. The highlight of north island scenery is around Lake Taupo and the Tongariro National Park which will be covered in snow. The ski season will be well and truly underway then.

It should be warmer in Auckland at that time of year than Wellington but can't guarantee. If Wellington is the place you want to live then I'd say spend more quality time there than Auckland.
I lived in wellington for 2.5 years so if there's anything in particular you want to know.

There isn't snow in wellington as a rule but it does snow there on the odd occasion. I think 2011 was the last time in snowed in wellington city - the year before we arrived there. I remember seeing the pictures.

Don't expect wellington to be much cheaper that Auckland for property rent and cost of living. Yes there's half as many people and less traffic but it still gets congested at peak times. The nearer to the cbd you live the higher the rent and some places can be awfully cold and damp with no or little heating.

For a vet there should be a market for them in wellington. There are farms out over Makara, Ohariu Valley, Blue Mountains, up the Kapiti Coast and Wainuiomata. Also out in the Wairarapa over the Rimutaka mountain range. There's more in central North Island and heaps more in the south island.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah sorry about that, but for a tourist there are so many things to see and places to go you need a month on each island to be sure of a full experience.
Fine if the train runs during the day. In August it won't be light till around 7am and it'll go dark before you arrive in wellington so you won't be able to see 12hr of scenery. In all honesty once you've seen rolling fields and hills, sheep, cows for 20 mins it just gets same old same old. The highlight of north island scenery is around Lake Taupo and the Tongariro National Park which will be covered in snow. The ski season will be well and truly underway then.

It should be warmer in Auckland at that time of year than Wellington but can't guarantee. If Wellington is the place you want to live then I'd say spend more quality time there than Auckland.
I lived in wellington for 2.5 years so if there's anything in particular you want to know.

There isn't snow in wellington as a rule but it does snow there on the odd occasion. I think 2011 was the last time in snowed in wellington city - the year before we arrived there. I remember seeing the pictures.

Don't expect wellington to be much cheaper that Auckland for property rent and cost of living. Yes there's half as many people and less traffic but it still gets congested at peak times. The nearer to the cbd you live the higher the rent and some places can be awfully cold and damp with no or little heating.

For a vet there should be a market for them in wellington. There are farms out over Makara, Ohariu Valley, Blue Mountains, up the Kapiti Coast and Wainuiomata. Also out in the Wairarapa over the Rimutaka mountain range. There's more in central North Island and heaps more in the south island.
Escapedtonz , you are the best  there is a plenty of useful in formation in this post and the highlight is what u have said about the locations of the farms , thx a lot. I will focus now on contacting recruitment companies and finding a job till my vacation time comes or till there is any new updates from INZ , wish us luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to ask you something that might seem little odd but can you recommend some kiwi shows , movies or TV series that I can watch online? and if possible the web site

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts