Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are residents responsible for cleaning the pavement outside, or is this a function of the local authority?

We moved into a rented house this week, there is a lot of leaf-fall from the high hedges on the pavement outside. The rest of the street is comparatively clean and as our house has been empty for a while, it makes me wonder whether it's something we should be doing.

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
It is very common for people to keep their own bit of pavement clean and tidy, even when it is officially the responsibility of the Ayuntamiento. Some of my neighbours are out their every day with scrubbing brushes and mops. Part of being neighbourly.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Are residents responsible for cleaning the pavement outside, or is this a function of the local authority?

We moved into a rented house this week, there is a lot of leaf-fall from the high hedges on the pavement outside. The rest of the street is comparatively clean and as our house has been empty for a while, it makes me wonder whether it's something we should be doing.
You don't have to do it, and the Town Hall should be sending its sweepers round, but depending on where you are you'll get a road sweeper every day or once a month. There's nothing to stop you getting out there and doing it yourself though and as Alcalaina says there are people who do, either as being neighbourly or in my opinion sometimes as part of a victorian showing off houshold skills competition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the opposite here, if i go outside and clean the street the neighbours complain! It's the job of the local council, (i guess they are just lazy).

I still do it anyway just to annoy them, i see them opening their curtains and stare at me...lol

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Once in Jimena a large lump of render coated with many years worth of pintura plastica fell off a house in our road and exploded into a million pieces on the road where the wind distributed it up and down the street.

We went off shopping for an hour and when we returned, the entire street was clear except for a rather embarrassing rectangle from our house to the middle of the street.

You could always spot the British houses by the dusty doorsteps.

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
You could always spot the British houses by the dusty doorsteps.
Guilty ... plus liberal coating of bird and gecko droppings.

I am not especially houseproud and I tend to forget to clean it till I see the woman over the road looking disapprovingly at me.

Yet her daughter has no qualms about letting her dog crap in the bit of rough ground next to the house...

·
Registered
15,749 Posts
the opposite here, if i go outside and clean the street the neighbours complain! It's the job of the local council, (i guess they are just lazy).

I still do it anyway just to annoy them, i see them opening their curtains and stare at me...lol
I'm really surprised by that! What nationality are they? Where is Igualada?

·
Registered
19,395 Posts

Weird, well it is Catalonia where they are desperately tying to prove they are not Spanish...
I'm really surprised by that! What nationality are they? Where is Igualada?
See above:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we got out there and cleared it up ,as we were doing some pruning and tidying in the garden anyway.

Those palm tree fronds are bloody lethal, I got stabbed numerous times despite trying to avoid the points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts