Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, in the past I stayed in Australia under the WH visas (I'm from the US.) It has now been 4 years and I want to move permanently to Australia in the future. I'm planning on applying to several unis there and getting a student visa next year or beginning of the year after as I miss the country greatly and there are some great unis. After that I'm not certain how things will go. I know there is the Graduate Work Visa and I would be eligible for the 2 year post study stream, however, if I need 2 years work experience to be accepted by VETASSESS for my field (agricultural science), I worry maybe I will have no option but to uproot myself after my studies and perhaps a year of experience just to go back to work in the US for another year and return.

Have any of you managed to pull off getting hired right out of uni in Australia, getting your full 2 years in on the post-study Graduate Work Visa?? Or have any other advice for me, thank you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi everyone, in the past I stayed in Australia under the WH visas (I'm from the US.) It has now been 4 years and I want to move permanently to Australia in the future. I'm planning on applying to several unis there and getting a student visa next year or beginning of the year after as I miss the country greatly and there are some great unis. After that I'm not certain how things will go. I know there is the Graduate Work Visa and I would be eligible for the 2 year post study stream, however, if I need 2 years work experience to be accepted by VETASSESS for my field (agricultural science), I worry maybe I will have no option but to uproot myself after my studies and perhaps a year of experience just to go back to work in the US for another year and return.

Have any of you managed to pull off getting hired right out of uni in Australia, getting your full 2 years in on the post-study Graduate Work Visa?? Or have any other advice for me, thank you.
What I would do is enlist a good MARA agent and keep in touch through out the studies as the rules do change fairly often and they have to follow the changes. VETASSESS is a pretty difficult bunch to deal with and if I had not had my MARA agent no chance in hell I would have my PR visa lodged now, I would've given up.

If I were in your shoes what I would do is find a university I want to go to start studying and shop around for a good agent whilst there. I am sure there will be some sort of possibility (fingers crossed) for you when you graduate to stay there, but it's best you let a professional handle it, if it's important.

Good luck with your plans I am rooting for you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Anyad! Yes my top choice is the University of Adelaide. I am hoping that by the time I graduate (probably 2023) that there will be a better pathway for me to migrate in. There used to be better ways, like the 457 and the 885. Those visas are repealed now. Seems migration laws are only getting stricter and stricter.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would say thats one of the more common ways that people get their PRs.

Student > Graduate visa > PR or sponsored work visa. You only need 1 year of work experience to be eligible for most skills assessment which allows you to apply for PR (189).

The main advice I'd give is to study something that is in the SOL. I know you shouldn't base your studies/career around whats on the SO but thats just how it is. I know a lot of people who had no choice but to leave because once they got out of uni and started working realizing that they weren't eligible because they weren't on the SOL. Back then you couldn't get the graduate visa unless you were on the SOL. I was lucky that what I studied/worked as was on the SOL.

I went to high school in Australia and I knew from early on that I wanted to stay in the country but I only really started looking at the SOL after I was done with uni AND already spent 6 months interning at an IT company as a business analyst.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thank you Anyad! Yes my top choice is the University of Adelaide. I am hoping that by the time I graduate (probably 2023) that there will be a better pathway for me to migrate in. There used to be better ways, like the 457 and the 885. Those visas are repealed now. Seems migration laws are only getting stricter and stricter.
I guess in Australia this is a love hate relationship as migrants are needed so the economy doesn't slow down, but also the balance of culture can easily get disrupted, so populists will make all sorts of promises that in the end they might actually try and keep. If you get a good degree in Australia, and manage to get some onshore work experience I doubt you'll have any issue securing a PR (it's just speculation) but like I said it may very well hinge on a good MARA agent looking out for you and letting you know how and what to file in due time. My agent ran into an issue where the old agent (non MARA) submitted a graduate visa app and ticked the "no" box on the "have you ever been convicted on any offense" despite the client having had a DUI, so when the PR visa was being lodged they couldn't get a clean PCC and it all turned into a sh¡t show with looking up legal precedents and etc... all lawyery and what not. Eventually my agent managed to secure that Brazilian dude his PR. But if he had used the MARA agent from the gitgo he would've been a shoe in and not had to worry about having to leave the country.

So I suggest hooking one up now, mine's initial consultation fees are around $200 AUD, and then you become a client and they'll advise you and look out for you. Also that $200 will work "towards" their flat fee, should you choose to file with them (in other words if they charge $3000 for the whole process then you'd only need to pay the balance of $2800... so it's pretty fair, but not sure what they charge as I paid all fees combined into other fees like assessment fees reassesment fees visa fees etc in many steps).

Some people go at it alone, and more power to them, I would however not like to have to worry about anything, I sleep sound knowing all papers have been put in, everything is 100% perfect, on time, paid etc and I just need to sort all of it afterwards.

Good luck and godspeed I hope you get your PR.

If you haven't been, when you do go back to Adelaide make sure to visit Kangaroo island! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say thats one of the more common ways that people get their PRs.

Student > Graduate visa > PR or sponsored work visa. You only need 1 year of work experience to be eligible for most skills assessment which allows you to apply for PR (189).

The main advice I'd give is to study something that is in the SOL. I know you shouldn't base your studies/career around whats on the SO but thats just how it is. I know a lot of people who had no choice but to leave because once they got out of uni and started working realizing that they weren't eligible because they weren't on the SOL. Back then you couldn't get the graduate visa unless you were on the SOL. I was lucky that what I studied/worked as was on the SOL.

I went to high school in Australia and I knew from early on that I wanted to stay in the country but I only really started looking at the SOL after I was done with uni AND already spent 6 months interning at an IT company as a business analyst.
Ag sci is indeed on the SOL. But I was under the impression I need 2 years work exp because my first year would count as the "qualifying period" towards my date deemed skilled by VETASSESS and therefore won't be positively assessed as skilled, meaning I would need to work my full 2 years of the Graduate Work Visa. Can anyone confirm or deny?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ag sci is indeed on the SOL. But I was under the impression I need 2 years work exp because my first year would count as the "qualifying period" towards my date deemed skilled by VETASSESS and therefore won't be positively assessed as skilled, meaning I would need to work my full 2 years of the Graduate Work Visa. Can anyone confirm or deny?
If you're eligible for the post-study work visa you do not need a skills assessment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're eligible for the post-study work visa you do not need a skills assessment.
I mean I will for the 189/190 to get my PR after the post study visa though right?

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I mean I will for the 189/190 to get my PR after the post study visa though right?
Yes, afaik all GSM visas require a suitable skills assessment visa.

Even if you do go for the 485 graduate work stream - that skills assessment cannot be used for GSM visas afaik.

The 485 post study work stream doesn't need a skills assessment as mentioned above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Anyad
Would it be fine if I sent you a message whenever my messages open up, that is. Right now since my posts are less, I think i wont be able to. We are extremely confused about our situation and need some clarity, may be your agent will be able to help us.

Thank you

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi Anyad
Would it be fine if I sent you a message whenever my messages open up, that is. Right now since my posts are less, I think i wont be able to. We are extremely confused about our situation and need some clarity, may be your agent will be able to help us.

Thank you
Sure, feel free. I'll do what I can to help. Happy to help others facing the daunting task of getting to Australia.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you ever hear about ETA visas? You can try this,
Conditions of an ETA are:

You can enter Australia as many times as you want during a 12 month period from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever is earlier.
  • You can stay in Australia for a maximum of three months on each visit.
  • You must not work while in Australia. You can undertake business visitor activities (undertaking of business inquiries and contractual negotiations, and attending conferences).
  • You must not study for more than three months.
  • You must be free from tuberculosis.
  • You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not the sentence/s were served.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts