Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum.
I have been in AUS for a while now, and eligible for becoming a citizen in Dec 2013. However, my passport has expired. Does any of you know if I need to renew my current passport before I can apply for Aus citizenship/Aus passport? It seems renewing my passport is an expensive and lengthy process for my country, and would like to avoid it, if I am going to be eligible for Aus passport soon after getting the renewed passport for my current country....

thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum.
I have been in AUS for a while now, and eligible for becoming a citizen in Dec 2013. However, my passport has expired. Does any of you know if I need to renew my current passport before I can apply for Aus citizenship/Aus passport? It seems renewing my passport is an expensive and lengthy process for my country, and would like to avoid it, if I am going to be eligible for Aus passport soon after getting the renewed passport for my current country....

thanks!
As per my knowledge Your passport should be valid atleast for another 6 months when you apply for citizenship as well,
So looks like you will have to apply for the new passport,
You can call Immigration dept. directly to get clear info on this. :phone:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I called them after all (went through the long on-hold messages!), and was told that active passport is not a requirement, as long as I have other IDs, like my driving licence to use as current photo id + signature + address, and birth certificate to prove my DOB.

·
Registered
965 Posts
then all the best. only thing is that you cant go outside AU even for emergencies.
If possible apply for a passport renewal, since even if you are eligible in Dec 2013, u mightnt get it immediately in AU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts