Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am British-born and have a British passport. My fiancée lives in Philippines and we are applying fiancé visa to marry in the UK very soon.

Do I, as the sponsor, need to get a copy of my passport certified by a solicitor? So far I have scanned ALL pages on my passport and emailed it to my fiancée and she has printed them out black and white. But then I read things and am a bit worried we might get refused because it has not been certified.

We plan on using the scanning service at VFS if its still available.

Any help would be great as we want to apply using priority service before I fly to Manila on 28th May.

Joppa?

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
Just a clear, plain black and white copy of the bio page will suffice.

If there is any doubt as to the authenticity of the copy on offer, checks can be made with UK Passport authority to confirm details.

When I applied for my initial entry visa, my now husband sent me a photocopy of his passport bio page and nothing further was asked of it.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: hazlen

·
Registered
179 Posts
I photocopied and printed my whole passport myself and had it certified at the post office, they did the certification on the bio page and then just stamped all the other pages.

I agree that it's most likely not necessary, but if you did decide to do it, the post office would probably be much cheaper than a solicitor. (They will certify up to 3 documents for a fixed price)

Reactions: hazlen

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will try the post office certify document service just in case as I'm flying to Manila soon. Unless they allow solicitors or special people in Philippines to certify my passport, but doubt it.

Is it really true the UKBA can check your passport?

·
Registered
38,987 Posts
British passport doesn't need to be certified, as they have access to passport database. It will be different if you want to use passport stamps as evidence of genuine relationship etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.