Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, look I'm new to this forum, but a very brief look round didn't come up with any recent conversations on this topic.

I'm currently in the process of applying for a new British passport, but I'm actually living in Spain.

I have two options available to me from the information I've gotten from the passport services and the British Consulate.

1. apply via my local British Consul here in Spain. The process however is incredibly expensive (excess of €200.00 including courier fees).

2. return to the UK and apply while visiting, the process is much cheaper (even an urgent application will only be approximately €160).

Now obviously I'm going to be taking the cheaper option.

I'm in the UK on holiday later this year so I'm going to arrange for an appointment at the passport office in Liverpool to process the application urgently, however, there is a difficulty which I'm having problems resolving.

It is possible to request an application form via the passport office website, but it specifically states it is for UK residents only and suggests anyone outside the UK consult the consul website. The application there however, is specific for applications made while outside the UK, not for someone living outside the UK planning on processing the application upon returning to visit.

So my question is this. If I'm visiting the UK would that qualify me to claim I'm a UK resident for the purpose of obtaining a renewed passport? if not which specific application form does cover the scenario I describe?

Surely someone else has encountered this situation, what did you do?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I replied on your other post, but here it is again lol!!

If you live/are a resident in Spain then legally you need to apply via Madrid. If you're planning to get it from the UK while visiting, then you need to "pretend" that you live in the UK, complete with a permanent address.

I had a UK address and legally or not, I applied via the UK and then went to visit with an appointment and picked up a new passport on a day trip to London

Jo xxx

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I got a new UK passport a few weeks ago, it took nearly four weeks in all. I used a courier service, which many shops in bigger towns offer, in Post rooms or internet cafe's, they mostly have the forms there for applying. When you take the completed form in, with the photo's etc, they send it by courier DHL used a lot! to Madrid, then the passport can either be delivered back to them for you to collect or your home address.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts